Author Topic: Dragon fly circus  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Cedric

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Dragon fly circus
« on: June 04, 2008, 10:01:51 PM »
These beautiful neon orange dragon flies are laying eggs in one of the pots in my water lily collection, I'm thrilled. The male is directing the show from on top, he flew her in holding her by the neck with his grappling hooks and positioned her for egg drop. Notice the female is a little more drab in colour. The posture on the male is unbelievable!

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon fly circus
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 11:15:16 PM »
Interesting.  I've never seen that particular behavior before.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline cc

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 02:27:10 AM »
I am so jealous! You are a good photographer!

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 05:21:57 AM »
Wow such a cool photo!!   O0
Joey

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 05:26:19 AM »
If I'm remembering correctly, the male deposits the sperm there, and then the female has to do more acrobatics to get the sperm to the eggs, before depositing them.

I love the red contrasted against the green pads.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 05:57:12 AM »
That bug has beautiful color!

Here, a delicate bug like that would be called a damselfly - I'm not sure what the distinction is really. Our dragonflies look more.... dangerous.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 05:57:37 AM »
Fascinating and good photo too. I didn't know they did that.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 07:28:14 AM »
That bug has beautiful color!

Here, a delicate bug like that would be called a damselfly - I'm not sure what the distinction is really. Our dragonflies look more.... dangerous.

That is a Damselfly. You can tell because the wings are held "up and back", instead of "horizontal" (Dragonfly).
The nymph of the Damselfly also has three little protrusions at the tail end, where the Dragonfly nymphs do not.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 07:29:15 AM by karen J »
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Derrick

• Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 07:35:45 AM »
Very cool...good "action" shot! ;)

Derrick
Derrick....just a drummer in a rock and roll band.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 08:37:24 AM »
Cedric - you always send me on interesting research tracks. Both dragonflies and damselflies are in the Order Odonata. But they are different families. Hong Kong has at least 112 species of Odonata (the British would know). Hong Kong has the largest and the smallest damselflies in the world. The largest is the size of a dragonfly, which are generally larger.
The way they carry their wings, their slighter build, and the shape of the second or lower wing is what easiy distinguishes the two. Also, they claim the eyes of a dragonfly are larger in proportion to the head, the eyes on a damselfly are separated by a forehead.

I couldn't find the common name of the neon orange damselfly - but it shure is purty.  o(:-)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 10:43:52 AM »
That is a fabulous photo.   O0
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 10:47:24 AM »
That is a really nice picture Cedric  O0  His head almost looks like a cartoon duck.  Really neat.

Offline emm

• Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 12:42:44 PM »
Amazing just to see something like that Cedric.  But to capture that photo as well is just fantastic!

emm

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 01:29:14 PM »
Cool pic.  Such vivid colors.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 02:06:08 PM »
Great picture  O0 , love the color of the Dragon fly's aginst the green of the lily pad.

bonnie

Offline water_sprite

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 02:58:40 PM »
Wonderful photo!   Good job!

Brenda
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 03:01:05 PM »
Exalent photagraphy! and good info on these guys.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 04:59:56 PM »
Both dragonflies and damselflies are in the Order Odonata. But they are different families. Hong Kong has at least 112 species of Odonata (the British would know). Hong Kong has the largest and the smallest damselflies in the world. The largest is the size of a dragonfly, which are generally larger.
The way they carry their wings, their slighter build, and the shape of the second or lower wing is what easiy distinguishes the two. Also, they claim the eyes of a dragonfly are larger in proportion to the head, the eyes on a damselfly are separated by a forehead.

I couldn't find the common name of the neon orange damselfly - but it shure is purty. 

I am British darling, though little help it does me. Hong Kong is infamous for it's lack of information on the natural world, the stock exchange is a different story. As a result it's extraordinarily difficult sometimes impossible to find proper information on anything. The government puts out these little pamphlets as one off's, some dating back fifty years at least, entirely the fault of the British. The one on snakes for example is so useless you cant even make out what snake it is in the fuzzy black and white pictures.

So links please! The university has a very slow moving online journal called "Porcupine", which is sometimes of small use. Seems odonata have quite an international following. I found an international data base with pictures of a good few Hong Kong species. Your welcome to go through the lot to try and identify it.
http://www.iodonata.net/

Half the things I see here are not even recorded anywhere, new to science, maybe this Odonata is also. You didn't give me a Latin for Dragon fly and Damselfly?  Anisoptera and Zygoptera respectively ;)

PS- it's looking (from the data base) like we don't have any Zygoptera at all, so maybe not a "damselfly after all.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 05:37:07 PM by Cedric »

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 05:16:05 PM »
http://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/conservation/hkbiodiversity/speciesgroup/speciesgroup_dragonflies.html

My views of the British was vastly influenced by visiting Kew Gardens. There is an avenue of trees. Each tree has an engraved brass plaque with the date the tree was planted, where the tree (or seed) was collected, who collected it, the common names and latin name of the specimen.
The ARE crazy, the Brits. :)

Not that its a bad thing.  lol

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 05:23:45 PM »
http://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/conservation/hkbiodiversity/speciesgroup/speciesgroup_dragonflies.html

plaque with the date the tree was planted, where the tree (or seed) was collected, who collected it, the common names and latin name of the specimen.
The ARE crazy, the Brits. :)

Crazy? You just took me to task for calling a damsel fly a dragon fly? Labeling is vital it prevents confusion. Kew is kewel O0

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 05:43:53 PM »
Ah ha found what looks like it at least, Agrionemis femina oryzae. These things are confusing. Its orange at least.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 05:53:12 PM »
you want a great online resource? Odonata Central is great!
you can browse by photo on this page! http://www.odonatacentral.org/index.php/GalleryAction.browse
Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline lindaky

• Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 06:28:37 PM »
Beautiful! What ever they are. Thanks for sharing your part of the world.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 07:07:15 PM »
Ceriagrion glabrum - has green eyes.  @O@
(page 3 on El Jefe's site).

Cedric - I was complimenting you on your thought provoking post. Not critical at all. Every search results in learning.
After looking at El Jefe's site, I think I'm gonna quit this, tho... there are over 100 LBB (little blue bugs)... I can't possibly distinguish them without a microscope....
 :o

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 08:13:33 PM »
I love critism if it's constructive it's the only way we learn. ::), it made me go and look into a bug i otherwise would just have happily and perhaps falsely labelled a dragon.

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 08:30:04 PM »

Agrionemis femina oryzae comes in quite a few different colours. These things are confusing. This one isn't orange at all, there a few colour variants. Think it has to be structurally different to be a different species. Here is femina in green and blue taken from the international......

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"