Author Topic: Been w/o electricity for 3 days!  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Been w/o electricity for 3 days!
« on: June 06, 2008, 02:16:42 PM »
Two different days, storms and tornado warnings... the last one on Wednesday was the worst one we've had for a long time.   
It was never determined for sure if we had a tornado, they say "rotation" but for a few seconds I swear that I heard "the noise".

Don't believe anyone was hurt, just alot of people with fallen trees and mild damage.......
We've been cleaning out the ponds today and now have trees to cut and lots to clean up.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Been w/o electricity for 3 days!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 04:19:19 PM »
Oh, so sorry Bonnie.  Its a PITA isn't it.

I can relate with ya though. 

Do you have a generator, that's what we did when the storms a few years back knocked us out for days.  It had 2 plugs on it, we used one for the pond then the other for the fridge.  Then we got smart and put an adaptor on one of the plugs and hooked a fan up to the window to pull air through out the house.  That helped alot.   Didn't want to leave my house unattended at night in the dark, so I opted to stay here. 

If you need anything let me know, I'll come and deliver.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 04:20:35 PM »
Generator!  o(:-)

I'd like to think we are prepared.  :o

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 05:15:28 PM »
Oh No  :o, sorry   o(:-)
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Krista

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 05:21:19 PM »
Frusterating! DH keeps talking about getting a generator for our trailer... with the premise that we can use it for the house if we lose power. Think that's happened only a couple times for a couple of hours here as we are blessed with beautiful non tramatic weather. Besides, i figure we can just head over to the trailer...lol

Glad you are up and runnign again.
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline Lynda

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 09:36:25 PM »
OH Bonnie, I'm soooo feeling your pain!  This has been the worst spring!  We were out of power for 29 hours Sunday/Monday - bought a generator first thing Monday morning.  Having my priorities clearly in order, I hooked up the pond, my two reef ranks and one refrigerator - everything else could wait.  They, the ubiquitious "them" who say everything, said ours was straight-line wind.  For straight-line wind there was a heck of a lot of rotation in it...we lost an awful lot of awfully large branches.

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 11:58:36 PM »
Ouch! That's too long, it's not fun or romantic after the first night.  We call our RV our 'hurricane escape machine' - got a generator and a refrigerator and hot water for showers but most important ... it has wheels to get us the heck out of here.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 08:02:26 PM »
OH , Bonnie I'm sorry to hear that . Ya need to get a generator .
My parent's were out of electric for 2 day's , they live in Highland County . Bad storm's there too.

bonnie

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 08:47:58 PM »
Bonnie, I sure can empathize. The weather here in N.E. Illinois has been really awful lately. Last week we were wearing fleece, this week we're wearing tank tops with broken umbrellas. Not to mention tornado shelters. Our tornado warning expired a couple hours ago, but the entire region has been under a watch for several hours. Stinks, because now we can't plant anything because the ground is too saturated from the thunderstorms. First it was too cold, next it's too hot, now it's too wet. It's June already! Krikey. Our power flickers constantly, trees down, barns are down and blown across roads, hard to know when we can turn on the PCs. Gotta constantly check the radar! End of rant. ;D My tomato plants may never get planted. Oh well, we're still alive.  O0 Can't complain. :) Good thing for blooming water lilies.  :)

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 09:22:57 PM »
Karen, our weather has been much like that, too.  Our tomato plants have been planted for about a month, but I think they're just drowning out there.    :'(

My granddaughter mentioned going swimming yesterday and I blurted out "Is the swimming pool open?"  Well, duh, of course it's open (which I finally realized).  The weather has just been so funky, and stormy, and wet, and windy, with tornado watches and warnings almost every week that it just didn't seem like swimming weather to me.  :o

It's just been a really strange Spring/Early Summer. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 08:18:42 PM by Sandye »

Offline Derrick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 11:09:37 AM »
Even up here on the east coast of Canada the weather has been weird. Spring started really hot and beautiful, the a couple of very cold weeks well below normals, now the last week thunder storms and down pours every day. We actually has a tornado warning last week! That's a first for me!

But "stuff" can be fixed or replaced, not so with people, so as long as everyone comes out the other side safe I am always grateful.

Derrick
Derrick....just a drummer in a rock and roll band.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 07:00:32 PM »
We all have our storms, tornado's, straight line winds, flooding, but if I was going to worry about a member here, it would be 
Sandye. I've been watching the weather and her neck of the woods is trouble. ------Week in Week out--------
I hope you've got a good plan, and basement to go to.
You be carefull and take care.
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 08:42:10 PM »
Thanks, Steve.  o(:-)

Yes, we've had more than our share of strong thunderstorms, tornado watches, tornado warnings, 60 mph.+ winds, and flood watches this year.  We do have a basement and have visited it already several times...enough that I'm getting tired of it.  We have one room in the northwest corner that doesn't have windows that is the safest part of the basement.  I do need to get it organized and stock it with water, flashlights, blankets, etc., instead of just dragging them down there every time.  We live on a hill, so the only way any of the flooding affects us is if we want to go somewhere.   ;)

We sure have been picking up and cutting up lots of tree branches the last few weeks, but haven't lost a whole tree so far. (Do we have a crossed-fingers emoticon?)

Bonnie, I'm sorry about your three days without electricity.  That's always a PITA and can be even worse when you factor in the food loss.  :(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"