Author Topic: ~ That pond I built inside the swimming pool-- lush for 08' (pics)  (Read 3842 times)

Offline spanishleprachaun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • ~Building ponds and waterfeatures in San Antonio, tx
  I'm sure some of you will remember back in the day the pics from building this monster !  Swung by to chat with my POND MOM and check out some new koi in the herd.  Love the falls on this one !!!  Sounds soooooooooooooooo good with those 6 waterfalls !

enjoy ----

Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

Offline sushi

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: ~ That pond I built inside the swimming pool-- lush for 08' (pics)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 05:52:19 PM »
Thats beautiful  O0  How does she keep those koi in with the lillies?  Don't they tear them up?

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 05:55:08 PM »
  She has 17-18 koi in there. (the fish in these pics are NOT SMALL ) Most avg around 14-17inches in length !  the 2 biggest i gave here.  2 yellow ogon koi about 21inches !!!!  The female is so docile,.. you can feed her by hand,... and stroke her underwater  and she barely moves from the attention ?!!? Who ever heard of PETTING your fish !?!??  ;)

The lilly pots are potected by 2-4inch gravel.  That's too big and heavy for even the big gals to move.  They do nothing to the pads, but will root in the pot if any smaller gravel is placed there.
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 06:26:42 PM »
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 06:31:13 PM »
Absolutely jaw dropping beautiful Carlos!  Must make you proud to see it all grown up!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 06:44:51 PM »
That is amazing  O0
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 07:28:21 PM »
WOW , it's Beautiful !

bonnie

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 07:29:08 PM »
I'm pretty sure I remember that build, but WOW! to see it mature is incredible.  Very beautiful.  It looks like they have high netting, for herons?  That's a good idea, it doesn't interfere with seeing and enjoying the pond but keeps the flyers out.

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 07:50:19 PM »
Gorgeous!!! O0
Joey

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 07:51:43 PM »
Absolutely beauuuuutiful!! o(:-)  Love the plants, Koi fishies, everything!! o(:-) o(:-)  Can't even wipe off my drool before it hit the keyboard!! lol

Kuan

Offline Cedric

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 09:02:06 PM »
Oh Carlos, that looking lovely. I see your mum has Ensete that lovely dark leaved one. I planted about thirty Ensete ventricosa seeds last year in situ and they all came up beautifully. During the dry season lost about ten to some weevil that I had to hand pick out and destroy, the rest are however doing spectacularly well this year putting out stunning growth. All have that dark ruby red mid rib and gorgeous bright bright green leaf. The seed came from Ethiopia.

Do you perhaps have a before and after shot of this pond, because I am thinking very seriously of turning my swimming pool into a large lily pond, just not sure which approach to adopt. It's a very large proper concrete pool covered in tiles and fathoms deep at one end, so I think it will have to be raised a bit. It's also rectangular so will probably have to be a formal design. I wont want koi, perhaps some small benign waddle gold fish breed, like pearl scale. Its quite a new pool, will the filter be fine or do i need a filter at all? Im planning to use pond weed filters.

Im just tired of all the chemicals I need to dump into it. Also I will definitely still want to swim in it so a jetty out into the clear water will probably be needed. I am thinking a bit along the lines of the European natural swimming ponds that are so popular these days.

Basically just how did you go about converting the pool at start?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 09:05:41 PM by Cedric »

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 09:26:11 PM »
Carlos, that pond is just STUNNING!!!   @O@

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 10:29:10 PM »
looks like a hawaiian paradise! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 08:17:03 AM »
I only have oneword WOW!
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 08:24:20 AM »
Absolutely  Heavenly
   Mary 8-)~

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 08:57:46 AM »
I remember and what a lush paradise it is now O0 O0

Thanks for the update,
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 10:51:39 AM »
  The post I had with all the construction pics are on a server that is no longer, so I'll have to find them on cd and post them when I get a change.  what we did was break out the bottom for drainage and then bring in yards of scrap dirt and fill in the pool.  I re-excavated to the dimensions and depth I wanted and went from there.  i've seen others use lots of sandbags as filler and then construct from there.  just turning a large pool into a pond can be troublesome.  with the depth and that much water trying to use the existing plumbing and filters leads to headache.. the sand filters on pools will gum in in no time with the amount of particulate and pond scum.
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx

Offline kaz

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 05:17:10 PM »
Absolutely beautiful.  How long did it take to construct Carlos?  Ummm... you don't fancy coming over to England to have a go at transforming my pond for me (seriously!!!)?

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 09:17:56 PM »
just turning a large pool into a pond can be troublesome.  with the depth and that much water trying to use the existing plumbing and filters leads to headache.. the sand filters on pools will gum in in no time with the amount of particulate and pond scum.

LOL Yes it's exactly what I thought of doing, just putting large planters or divisions made of brick wall filling them up with soil and hey presto a pond. But it's obviously more complicated. I think I wont want a filter at all, just pond weed banks that I can hack back, or just the fliter for the fish end. I see so you didn't use the pool itself but put in liner after breaking the bottom out? Hmm lots of work that one.

I wonder if I just divide it into thirds with two retaining walls. Shallow end for the marginals middle end for the thick weeds and water-lilies and top end, or deep end for fish. I wonder if goldfish like it so deep, its at least three meters deep.

I look forward to seeing your construction shots.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 06:54:57 AM »
Spectacular!

I was on our pond tour this weekend, and there were lots of folk whose lilies were sharing the pond with koi - even large koi.  No problems.

Cedric, one guy also had a large pond that he said his daughter swam in regularly.  And another friend told that people these days are supposedly using bog filters to filter their swimming pools.  Seems to me you could adapt that concept, to pump pond water through a gravel bog filled with plants, and then tumble back down into the pond.  I would think you would want SOME kind of filtration down the road.  Green water or sick fish are NOT pretty.

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 06:03:25 PM »
Not sure Jules. Weed filters are very effective at stopping water turning green and fish positively thrive with them. They absorb toxic waste and heavy metals and provide oxygen etc etc. Most botanical gardens use them.
Basically it's just mass planting of submerged plants until you achieve a balance and crystal clarity, like in a natural pond full of plant life. Balancing the plants with the water mass and fish is the key.

With koi that is almost impossible, they are big eaters and messy, producing tons of waste matter so you need quite heavy filtration. They also disturb the planting, being bottom feeders so things cant settle. I imagine growing water-lilies with Koi and filtration is possible like Carlo's mum, heavy maintenance is definitely part of it and very robust water-lilies in the calmer end, maybe protected, and very few if any submerged plants?

Natural swimming pools are very fashionable  friendly in Europe at the moment and of course environmentally sound, my sister has one. They need to be pretty big if you are going to swim in it, like a mini lake. They avoid domestic fish completely its easier to keep the balance, using tiny wild species that they never feed. In winter they skate on it.

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
A bog filter is a bit different in that the water is pumped all along the bottom of the bog bed and it filters up through rock and sand and plants and then flows back into the pond.  What you described sounded like it was a natural bog which doesn't have the same water movement.

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 09:47:20 PM »
Yes exactly, no water movement, just natural filtration methods. Not sure exactly how the more formal ones like this work, but I suspect the water overflow goes through the bog when people are swimming or that raised area is the bog filter and they use a pump?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 09:57:01 PM by Cedric »

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 01:21:53 AM »
That's really pretty.  Bog filters work well with a waterfall as a return, not sure how that one would work but perhaps the water flows back over the raised area.  I also wonder about it in an environment where it doesn't freeze or somehow kill off the bacteria occasionally.  I think that is especially a concern in the tropics.  Even in the Calif desert I noticed at one point last summer that if I didn't rinse off immediately after being in the pond I was prone to infections.  Of course, my way of rinsing off was to jump in the swimming pool which used a salt filter.   I would be concerned about bacteria levels in an unfiltered pool.

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 03:06:57 AM »
Hmm good point. Maybe they need more shade plants in the tropics, more lily's. Ponds are no problem for swimming in the sub-tropics like Australia. Think as long as it's only vegetable matter bacteria aren't such a problem even if the water has a green bloom. You wouldn't fertilise or anything, pure clay would be good for planting and peat. I know there are some stunning clear pools in the Amazon, small lakes full of interesting aquatic plants and fish, kept in the constant 80's. In Florida and elsewhere too. Creating that balance is all important and possibly the PH, so strict care in what you use as a planting medium. 

I used some of that shockingly expensive Japanese aquatic aquarium soil, part of the Amazon series in a few water plantings in large pots with clay as a deep base. So far not even the slightest green. They are densely planted with assorted submerged plants in the full sun, crystal clear? I used mountain stream water at start maybe that helps. I have some very tricky customers in there, little colourful shrimp that would keel over at even the sight of a bacteria,  they're thriving and breeding.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 03:39:47 AM by Cedric »

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 07:03:32 AM »
Hay Carlos that turned out beautiful o(:-)
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 06:11:18 PM »
I remember when you built that pond. It sure is looking great now. Every thing has grown in nicely.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline CliffandJoann

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • CJ's Adventures in Ponding
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 12:41:21 PM »
That is truly stunning Carlos. Do you build ponds full time now?

Joann

Offline tenuki

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2008, 05:34:47 AM »
Absolutely georgeous!  how many lily plants are in there?  Ans are they placed really close together or is she just lucky in having lots of leaves?  Nice waterfall

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 07:33:26 PM »
  Thanks all ;)  glad you like.   yes,... building full time now-- year long.  Nice to have the mild winters down here in south texas to do so.  So between the builds,.. cleans, reapairs, fixes and upgrades... I've been booked 1.5months in the rears since march !!!  Some folks have been waiting for me for 2 months !  yipes !!  hard to find time for all the work even with a 6 man crew.   
---- The lillies.. all spaced apart a good 3-4 feet.... dividing and fertilizing with that full sun does wonders for pad and bloom production ;)
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"