Author Topic: Waterfall algae a sign of bad things to come???  (Read 1973 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Waterfall algae a sign of bad things to come???
« on: June 08, 2008, 12:50:52 PM »
seems this year I am not gonna have to worry to much about looking for compost to add around my plants through the summer.. my waterfall is producing enuff algae to cover the whole garden!

I dont know what it is or whether its something to do with the long cool then hot hot but my toilet brush sure is getting a workout.. I bet I have pulled out a mile of the stuff in the last week.  Should I be worried about something being wrong with my water and this is a warning??  I have had it in normal amounts before but this is not what I call normal.

tinkster

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Waterfall algae a sign of bad things to come???
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 02:34:50 PM »
Same here tink, we can pull it off it seems every other day.  Its just going crazy.  I can't believe the temps already this year.  Its not July, its only June and can't imagine what's to come.  Yuck!

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 05:41:01 PM »
I'm right there with you.  I was just wondering out loud to hubby if we needed more filter out there?  Maybe I am feeding the fish too much?  What is wrong with my water >:(- But yeah.  I think it is the heat. 

Offline spanishleprachaun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • ~Building ponds and waterfeatures in San Antonio, tx
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 05:49:30 PM »
  Ohh yeah---seen it down here in South Texas already.  even the president of the water garden club who has had her pond for 12+years had bad string algae problems and a medium ALGAE BLOOM !!! Eeeeeeep ! And she has great filtration !  it's the heat boiling up the water and the normal waterplants right behind them in the race to soak up the nutrient in the water.  I had a pond I had done with a month of good bioseeding went slight green on me !  My 2nd in all my time !!  I had to assure the client not to empty the pond or go the algae fix way--- just give it time to balance back out with a juice-up on the bio bugs.  I hear it's back to clear now ;)
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 06:52:18 PM »
Hey, Spanish, I didn't think it was such a problem down south. That's interesting!

We're pulling it out by the bucketful. I've been putting it on weeds to try and smother them. That stuff has got to have a good use somehow.

There was some discussion a few years ago that it could be because of phosphates in the water. Somehow the problem has gotten a lot worse, though. People I know that have never had problems with string algae are now having major problems with it. I pulled mine out of the waterfall yesterday, and by today it looks like I never even touched it.

I've also heard that Barley Straw is useless.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 08:13:55 PM »
I just noticed some string alage in one of my ponds too  >:(
I was wondering if this hot... cold ...& very hot  weather had anything to do with it.

I like to use the Barley Straw extract , it seem's to do the job for me .

bonnie

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 08:26:49 AM »
Well, I don't have any problem here in Houston.  Knock on wood.

Perhaps my pond has never had the little see or whatever causes string algae, so it has no starting place.

I do have a little of the green scum that grows on the side of the liner (snails eat it, and also the fish, so it's just a thiiiin layer.  And the kind that grows on my small waterfall - I just scrape it off with a knife or fingernail, and it won't need that treatment again for two-three weeks. 

Knock on wood!

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Members
  • Authorized Self Portrait?
  • With us since: 11/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 09:19:24 AM »
Hydrogen peroxide is a great killer of string algae, and is cheap and fairly safe if used properly.  You can treat the whole pond, but this is not needed if it is only in your waterfall.  Since that is where yours is, try this.  I have found what works for me and is VERY cheap is to remove most of the algae mechanically. Then shut off the pump feeding the stream (plug the overflow in your skimmer if you have one with a washcloth and you won't lose any water as the stream empties into the pond) and use a garden sprayer to spray the now exposed gravel and rocks in the stream and waterfall (not just the string algae but do give the SA a good coating) with 3% H2O2 diluted with equal amounts of water to 1.5%.  This is the stuff you get at the grocery store or Walmart.  Please use eye protection, even with the 3%. I repeat treatments about once per month during the spring and the string algae does not stand a chance. The advantages of doing it this way is you do not subject the inhabitants of the pond to any oxidizers and it is way cheaper than treating the entire water volume to concentration level that will destroy SA.

You will actually see the HP working as the algae will start to foam. Let it sit for about half an hour and then turn your pumps back on. The stream will remain clear for at least a couple of weeks before SA starts to take hold again. As summer starts, I can reduce or eliminate this treatment. Let me know if you try it, AFAIK, you and I would be the only ones using H2O2 this way!

Steve

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 09:51:01 PM »
I used to get it on my big rock waterfall.  I extended the spillway so as to miss the rock. No more SA!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 04:51:03 AM »
SA grows anywhere, not just in the waterfall. I know!!! :( I have removed buckets of the stuff. At least it helps keep my water clear. I have barley straw in the Skippy and don't think it made a bit of difference. I have been using koi clay too but not systematically. So have decided to use a little algae fix and the koi clay more often. I am afraid to use the HP. One of our members who had some pretty nice fish managed to kill them all with HP.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 06:50:29 AM »
Well we are having colder than normal weather here and I can't keep up with the SA on my falls? So I can't blam it on the heat. In fact I got up this Am and all the hills are covered in the white crap! :D >:(. I can't do water changes yet either cuz the river is just a mess still! >:(-My water looks like crap! I had the barlie straw in the bio falls for months to no availe also? >:(- I'm sooo ready for some warm weather. Were not to mess with Mother Nature, but it's just fine when she messes with us! >:(-
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Members
  • Authorized Self Portrait?
  • With us since: 11/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 05:20:11 PM »
SA grows anywhere, not just in the waterfall. I know!!! :( I have removed buckets of the stuff. At least it helps keep my water clear. I have barley straw in the Skippy and don't think it made a bit of difference. I have been using koi clay too but not systematically. So have decided to use a little algae fix and the koi clay more often. I am afraid to use the HP. One of our members who had some pretty nice fish managed to kill them all with HP.

You are correct, the SA grows everywhere; I am lucky tho that my koi love to eat it in the pond, they just can't get it in the falls/streams.  This is why I use the sprayer.

I, like you, have used many many $ of barley products with zero effect, others have sung its praises, but not me!!!   {nono}

Hydrogen peroxide is like many medications/water treatments that require that you know what your pond volume is and the appropriate dosage for that volume (other REALLY good examples are potassium permanganate and formalin).  I have done entire system treatment of my pond with H2O2, but I know exactly how much water my pond holds.  The advantage of my method with the garden sprayer is that you only use a VERY small portion of the amount needed to reach efficacy levels in the entire water column-you are only putting it where it is needed.  And really, as used here, the majority of the H2O2 is consumed by oxidizing the algae and mulm that feeds it, reducing it to water and oxidized organics (harmless).  This reaction is mostly accomplished prior to turning the water to the falls back on, so little if any active oxidizer reaches the fish when you turn the pumps back on.

BTW, you need to be very careful with the algaefix; I know of more people that have killed their fish with that than with H2O2 (I personally have not heard of fish kills except in aquaria with HP, but I know that there is a fatal dose level for carp, so I am sure koi and GF are succeptible as well).  As I said, make sure you know the pond volume to dose properly, and I still have heard of experienced ponder that lost koi using Algaefix.  Do a search over at koiphen.com on both hydrogen peroxide and algaefix and judge for yourself.

Disclaimer:  HP works really well in my pond, which is 7,200 gallons with two streams, one thirty feet and the other ten feet.  I use a total of one-half gallon of HP to treat both streams-this is only enough to treat 1,000 gallons if I treated the whole system.  Read about HP in some of the other forums and form your own opinion!!! O0

Steve
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 05:26:47 PM by kitfoxdrvr »

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 05:56:27 PM »
If you get rid of your string algae, you might end up with pea soup. String algae seems to inhibit pea soup algae.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 09:19:48 AM »
Algae is a plant.  HP will "kill" the algae.  HP will set your other plants back.  (I just got up - can't form proper sentences!)  If you have plants in you pond or waterfall please be aware of this.
Tammie

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 06:42:08 PM »
I had it in a stock tank with back up water lillies.  I put shade fabric over it.  No more SA !
Plants are fine.  So some shade my help???
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"