Author Topic: Need Advice Please  (Read 1245 times)

Offline joejoe123

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Need Advice Please
« on: June 08, 2008, 06:43:10 PM »
I have N. Pygmaea and N. Minuta growing in pots and there not growing goog .There is algea growing in the pots there in and I was wandering if I should fertilize them and how to get rid if the algea .

Joey
Joey Gatlin  Zone 7A   Alabama

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Need Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 07:46:40 AM »
I planted my seeds from sushi to and am having the same problem keeping the thick green off the top.  I have mine in  small pots till they take off so I have just been adding water and overflowing the pot till the green runs out.

tinkster

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 04:46:18 PM »
I Googled that first one and came up with a - dragonfly!

The lilies I planted, the first year, they put out leaves, but remained small, and definately no flowers.  The second year, they are doing much better.  Maybe yours are still developing root systems.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 06:22:03 PM »
What planting media did you use? A little seed don't need food until it has roots. There is probably to much food/fertilizer in your media.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline joejoe123

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 07:39:49 PM »
I got mine from a source they are both plants with tubers on them. the planting media I used was composted cow manure. When i got them they were both blooming . I dont know what could have happened.

Joey
Joey Gatlin  Zone 7A   Alabama

Offline Cedric

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 07:50:37 PM »
I have learnt a little by trial and error, it best to used coarse sand and nothing else, no organic material or fertiliser until it has germinated and set a few floating leaves. Warmth and high diffuse light is important but not direct sun. My first attempt was a slime filled green soupy mess, I only got one plant. There's a very good tutorial on WGI site.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 06:07:06 PM »
Joey,
Composted manure alone is to much food for even a tuber. The richest my mixes have ever been was four 40lb bags of topsoil and one 40lb bag of composted manure. I'd say to repot it. The composted manure is feeding the pond scum growing in your pot or container.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 06:10:49 PM »
Could be, but one thing you definitely want to check is whether you planted the tuber too deep. If the tuber is completely covered with dirt, that could smother it. Roots should be buried, but the tuber should look likes it's "laying" on the soil.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"