Author Topic: Do yall ever feel overwhelemed by all the work in your gardens etc?  (Read 3003 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I am sure starting to feel that way.  I just cant seem to get anywhere.  I keep planting and moving and things dont work out right, its always something.  As bad as I hate to think of winter I think I need the break :)

tinkster

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Do yall ever feel overwhelemed by all the work in your gardens etc?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 06:14:35 PM »
Yes, we all get overwhelmed (at least I do).  Sometimes I just let things go for a while.  It'll be ok if you do.  Relax and take a day off - if you can't be outside without worrying about what you see, go inside and don't look!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 06:16:32 PM »
Just tonight I looked at my poor pond and wondered what would happen if I didn't clean it and clip the pads etc before winter. Never mind, I know what would happen. But I haven't done anything much to it since July because both sets of tenants moved out of one of our duplexes and we did major work on it. Then just as we were getting done with that, my dad ended up in the hospital and I have been spending lots of time there for the last 41 days.

So YES Tink I look at my gardens, pots and ponds and wonder where my head was when I planted all that stuff. We were too busy to even enjoy it. And now I have to put all that stuff up for winter.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 06:27:00 PM »
My answer is that I keep it simple so that doesn't happen. Besides my ponds and gardens are only one of my interests.
And I agree with you that winter is a wonderful break, and it brings with it another whole set of things that I love to do.
If you are starting to get overwhelmed, that is telling you that you need a break.
Have fun,
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 07:05:07 PM »
Yes, yes, yes. Sometimes I am happy to devote a weekend to the garden, but sometimes I want to have other plans. After this hot as h3ll summer, I realized I had too many pots. I was trapped watering morning and night for months if the plants were to survive. I have been busy clearing them out of my life.

To this day though, when going into someone's house for the first time, I look at the (hopefully read) books on their shelves, and their garden. Both take huge amounts of time, and both are important to me, so I judge folks that way.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 07:35:07 PM »
My "secret" is to get something done everyday.  Maybe a few things.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 09:05:25 PM »
Oh Yes,

It seemed like this summer was nothing but pouring water on something.  Very dry this summer and things would have been dried out to dust by the end of June otherwise.  Then, just getting everything cleaned up for the winter is intense and tiring too.  I sometimes think I have more than what I need.  Now, if I can just find room for the 100 crocus and tulip bulbs I need to plant this fall...

Bart

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 05:42:05 AM »
This is the first year that I really feel like I can't get everything done before winter. I really need to simplify things to accomodate my age and energy level. The older I get the less I seem to accomplish. I need a maid and gardener or I need to quit working full time.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 05:47:51 AM »
Kay, I'm with you. If we quit working, we wouldn't need a maid or a gardener.  ;) ;D
Time - It's so important and there isn't enough of it.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 05:54:53 AM »
Yes, Yes, Yes!  I was going strong the beginning of the season but truthfully except for cleaning the filter pads & the dead lily pads I haven't done anything outside.  ssshhhhh  {:-P;; I had great ambition this spring, I don't know what happened.  I am looking forward to the off season just so I don't have to feel guilty about what I'm not doing.  But before I do, I need to clean the pond and get the net on before the leaves start flying not to mention the rest of the yard.   :'(
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 07:56:40 AM »
This happens to me every September. Usually I quit caring for things that are going to die soon anyway, and spend a lot more time reading.

I would also like to plant fewer pots in the future, as they are more maintenence than any other thing in the garden. But they are pretty, so I'll just stick to my favorite ones.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 08:29:18 AM »
So true Steve  ;D. I don't think it would fly with my husband but then he doesn't clean house OR garden. I'm thinking there is something wrong with that deal but then I don't work on the cars or mow the lawn either. I'm looking forward to retirement and it can't come too soon for me.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 09:01:00 AM »
Yes, I get overwhelmed by house and garden. My yard is currently fried and weedy despite putting down a layer of compost earlier in the year.

I am not good at housekeeping and I hate to do it when it isn't raining here so my house is often a mess in summer. Less so when it is raining out but I will never be Martha Stewart. Too much time reading or online. 

MikeW, I've got piles of books, a 6' bookcase of horses and other non fiction and a 4' one that is all gardening books. Plus two 6' bookcases of fiction. Years of Watergardening and Fine Gardening magazines too.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 09:59:48 AM »
I think we tend to have to many pots on the fire....I am always feeling overwhelmed...but, it is totally my fault...I always want more- more varieties of fish(which all need their own home-and means more ponds and tanks), more plants, more gardens, more gh room, more ,more, more.....I tend to be one of those people who act first then think ::) and that will always come back and bite you on the butt  >:(- I seem to get one project done and have 10 more lined up...I just keep steaming ahead...if I get it done great  @O@ if not then I just keep working at it until I do....I figure one of these days I will have my yard and business how I want it  ::) ::)
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 12:33:28 PM »
I normally am able to keep up with things, however, last year I got rid of my front lawn and in its place I planted a country garden, desert scene and a tropical section and this has added to my work.  Then we had a horrible summer relative to an unusual amount of humidity.  The humid weather kept me from working in the garden because it was so uncomfortable and now I'm playing catch up.....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 06:08:21 PM »
I never used to feel this way.. until I gave birth to a set of twinados... now the yard looks like crap.. I would never host a Partay at this rate. I feel so sad as I used to have the best yard on the block.. actually in my entire area... oh well, another 3 years and they will be in school and I will have a bit more time right?
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline kaz

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 04:30:03 AM »
Surely the twinados can't take up that much of your time Krista ;)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2006, 03:01:30 PM »
I don't have kids as an excuse and I work from home now. However, I do spend more hours on work from home than away from home.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

GAJen

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2006, 10:11:38 AM »
Tinkster I felt very overwhelmed yesterday when I pulled up everything from behind the pond.  >:(- Everything started dying off because it has been rather cool here and we battle ants and poor soil terribly. Took up the elephant ears, taro, palms and day lilies...they were in bad shape. I thought I'd try to salvage a little if they would keep in water over the winter. Pond looks awful all that is back there is pine straw with a whiskey barrel full of pennywart and orange peel. Here in the woods the tropical look just doesn't work. Oh it is naked outside.  8-)~

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 10:07:05 AM »
ooooooh yes, I'm way behind now . I wish I had a little more time to get a few more things done .
OOH well I'll get it done next Spring.. ;D
I still have flowers to plant, mulch to put out around the pond , weeds to pull...I don't think I ever get caught up on these. And I wanted to build some benches to put around my new lily pond.

Bonnie

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 07:17:00 PM »
Am sorry that some of you feel overwhelmed. Really I am. Thought I was losing it
because  I feel that way sometimes. Then a particularly pretty plant will grace me
with gorgeous bloom, and I'm in love all over again.  Like today, looked around, things
beginning to look thinner and more barren, then I looked over and azalea was blooming.
I know, crazy to be blooming this time of year, but there it was!!!  Things like that
sure will perk me up.   Marie

Offline Viv

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 01:42:43 AM »
Tink I know how you feel. We are only in late spring and I'm feeling stressed already. Just can't keep up. 8-)~

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 11:50:08 PM »
Yes, I'm overwhelmed about now too. We had a dry summer here too and I didn't water enough so everything is fried even the weeds.
Now I'm setting up the greenhouse and as soon as that is done it will time to set up the sunroom to start lily seeds for next year.
A few year ago when we first started to think about selling this place and moving on I was totally devestated at the thought of leaving this garden behind especially knowing it will be bulldozed over but now I realize it's way to big to care for myself. The next garden will have several large ponds with a few flower beds around them. No more large gardens for me. We learned a lot with this garden and the next one will be much lower maintenance. I have a much better idea of what to plant and where.
I too would like to be able to do other things with my time.
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"