Author Topic: Mysterious Platinum blue red tailed red high finned platy  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Cedric

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Mysterious Platinum blue red tailed red high finned platy
« on: June 13, 2008, 07:26:31 PM »
Anyone ever seen such a fish, I found three down a tiny back alley at the fish market and they have just had fry.

I just wonder if they exist or am I seeing things? The vendor had no English not one word, and he only had five. So I took two females and a male. No mention on the internet that I can find. There are blue platy fish, but platinum blue with red fins? Anyone seen them before. They are just starting to relax in their garden vat so I will get some good shots soon. Look to be more towards the "variatus" in shape and size.
The colour looks very much like a Beta splendens, the only other fish I've seen with that platinum colour, and guppy, but these have nothing guppy about them. They couldn't be a hybrid between splendens because as far as I know they are different species and these are certainly fertile as well. Splendens is also not a live bearer, these are certainly that.

Strange, but they move quite snake like and very effectively. Something for you Sunbeam56, you seem to have the knack at finding out these things.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 07:48:00 PM by Cedric »

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious Platinum blue red tailed red high finned platy
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 07:45:12 PM »
I went searching, best I could come up with was this website has alot varities of platys: Fish2U.Com

Here are some from another website, it wouldn't let me copy the addy:

(Mickey Mouse Platy)(Red Wagtail Platy)(Southern Platy)(Red Tuxedo Platy)(Moon Fish Platy)(Topsail Rainbow Platy)(Sunset Platy)(Golden Platy)(Calico Platy)(Salt and Pepper Platy)(Coral Red Platy)(Black Platy)(Blue Platy)

It sounds like a cross between some of these to me.  Or, do you think they've been injected with dye.  I don't now about there, but they sell some fish here that have been injected with paint/dye to make them a neow blue, pink, yellow and green.  Its just a thought that pops into my mind.  Just thinking outloud.

Kim
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 07:50:11 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Cedric

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 08:10:01 PM »
No Kim no dye job. Awhile ago you could even get Koi with your name tattooed across its back.

These are natural, Im beginning to think they might even be a species, and not a variety or hybrid, or very close to a species. They are just so very wild in character, hovering and darting, and twisting their bodies into S bends ready to strike. Very unlike my marigold and sunset platy that will even eat out of my hand under water.

Thanks for the links. Im going back to the market this weekend to do some more investigative work, try and rope in some hapless Chines visitors find who can speak some English to translate.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 10:11:26 PM »
Since you live in Hong Kong I assumed you spoke Chinese.  I guess we all know what that makes me  lol
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 06:06:26 PM »
Not quite so fast. No I don't speak Chinese very well being English, but I do speak four other languages. Now if only the Chinese new a little Dutch.

Groetjies Cedric :P

Going to beat a path through the pouring rain to the fish market. Its been raining solid for a month, not just pitter pat pat, but woosh monsoon heavy.  o( o( o( Our very own floating market.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 06:56:52 PM by Cedric »

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 11:22:30 PM »
And I thought the rain had been bad here. Yeak. You could drop a bag of fish and have them just swim off to the vendor that sold them to you in that. o( o(

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 07:42:48 PM »
And this is after the rain stopped for a bit. It came up to my knees. No one bothers with shoes anymore. You are very close to being 100% correct Tracey, a vendor spilt her spotty catfish bowl and they all swam away. Poor thing she was doing doggy paddle between the tables trying to catch some of them. Not one all got away.

Ps-I knew some German Shafers very well, in S Africa any relation? Ingrid and her two sisters and little brother.

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 08:30:32 PM »
I think my in laws have been here several generations so would not know the extended family. ::)

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 08:39:18 PM »
IC, That wouldn't be them, they only left Africa about twenty years ago. :'(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"