Author Topic: I found her!  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I found her!
« on: June 17, 2008, 05:42:09 PM »
The MIA fantail!  She appeared briefly for dinner...so briefly, I had to keep looking to make sure it wasn't just wishful thinking on my part.  She is alive though.  Her tail is ripped to shreds.  It was getting dark, so I couldn't tell if she had any other injuries.

While I was out there, a 4-5 foot long snake slithers out, right in my feet.  He was heading straight for the waterfall! {nono}  All but the last foot or so of him was hidden in the lamb's ears at the pond's edge, so I just grabbed him by the tail and flopped him out on the path by the lotuses.  I could tell he wasn't vemonous.  I didn't have my skimmer net handy or anything else to pin him down with, so I chased him away, into the brush of the old horse pens. 

He was NOT getting in my pond. >:(- >:(- >:(-   {nono} {nono} >:(- >:(- >:(-

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I found her!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 08:32:18 PM »
  SNAKE  >:(  Oh no.  Glad you found your fish.  I put some new fish in the pond several weeks ago.  They seen find for a week or so, but I can not find any of them now.  I just hate it. 

Myra
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 04:31:10 AM »
I'm glad you found her ok. But snakes by the tail??? Not in my life time, I'd of ran.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Vickie

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 04:37:07 AM »
He will come back and get your fish. What are you going to do?

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 05:42:04 AM »
Glad you found your fantail!  Wonder if the snake will come back and get netted?   ::)
Joey

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 09:32:22 AM »
lol ruthie.. your a bunch braver than me.. I feel sorry for that snake...

So glad you found your fish and hope she will be okay.

tinkster

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 09:42:37 AM »
PHEW!!  I'm glad you found the fantail AND found out it is the sneaky snake prowling around.  Or is that slinking around.  :o

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 10:45:21 AM »
I'm glad she is OK, albeit a bit scared.  I don't like snakes so if I see one, I will run instead of catching its tail.  I sure hope the snake doesn't return (it may now since it found the food source  :().

Kuan

Offline Ruthie

• Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 12:08:16 PM »
I managed to catch Eureka today (with my hand...I just scooped her up!  How easy would it be for a predator to catch her as well.  sigh.) She is scraped up pretty badly and her tail is shredded.  But she was eating and swimming ok.  Here's hoping.

If the snake returns, I am ready.  I have the big net and a pillow case by the pond ;D  He will be caught and relocated! 

It still doesn't explain what chewed through the net though.  My dad told me we have a large colony of otters in the back of our place, but my pond would seem like a long, long walk for an otter.  There are easier meals to be had.  But a mink.  Or a coon.  That's a real possiblity.

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 10:34:27 PM »
I'm glad you found your fantail, Ruthie!   @O@

It still doesn't sound like a snake did the damage, tho.  Besides the holes in the net, the ripped tail and the damage to your other fish sound like some other kind of predator.  I hope it doesn't strike again. 

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 05:07:02 AM »
You are much braver than I!  Glad you found your fantail & hope she makes a quick recovery.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"