Author Topic: What could be wrong with my lotus (pixs added)  (Read 1453 times)

Offline joejoe123

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What could be wrong with my lotus (pixs added)
« on: June 17, 2008, 06:31:38 PM »

what do you think it is I looked for bugs and I didnt see any

Joey
Joey Gatlin  Zone 7A   Alabama

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: What could be wrong with my lotus (pixs added)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 06:55:06 PM »
To me, this looks like some kind of fertilizer burn. :-\

What kind of fertilizer did you use, and how much?
What kind of potting soil?

I hope there isn't any straight cow manure in those pots. :o

Also, once you plant them in the spring, it is absolutely NOT necessary, if you use my recipe, to add extra fertilizer at all for the entire season.
A lot of people kill their lotus by fertilizing on some kind of schedule, such as once a month or every 3 weeks, just because they read it online somewhere.
I am talking from experience here, cuz I used to kill ALL my lotus by fertilizing on a schedule with spikes and/or tablets.
Did this for almost 5 years until I decided to try something different, to mimic Mother Nature as closely as possible. 8)
That's why I do not use tomato spikes or any kind of spike or tablet fertilizer. They tend to dissolve WAYYYY to quickly and that is when fertilizer burn happens, and plants die.
And from what I see all over all the pond forums, is that people use WAYYY too many spikes when they jam 'em into the pots each month.
People tend to overkill (No pun intended) when it comes to fertilizer. ::)
That is why I came up with my recipe of slow, time and temp released nutrition, using Osmocote at the bottom of the pot so it slowly leaches up and through the roots,
and because there are the least temperature swings at the bottom of the pot, so the fertilizer doesn't get released all at once, or too quickly.

I believe in fertilizing only when the plant  is showing signs of malnutrition. I am not advising waiting until the plant is nearly starved to death.
What I am saying is that if you are outside looking at your ponds and plants every day, keep a close eye on all of them. Watch for signs of stress, overfertilization, or malnutrition such as the yellowing of leaves and/or the decline of blooms. Usually my lotus and water lilies starts showing signs of malnutrition so late in the season, I do nothing because it's late fall and they will be going dormant within weeks anyway.

If you don't know what is wrong with your plant, do NOT add fertilizer 'just for good measure'! {nono}
Do what Joejoe did, and post pix and ask questions here before doing anything. :)

Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 07:00:16 PM »
To me, this looks like some kind of fertilizer burn

I second that.  First thing that popped in my head when I saw the pics.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline joejoe123

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 12:26:50 AM »
Joyce I used your method of planting them but I didnt use as much osmacote as you suggested. I used composted cow manure (no smell except that of dirt and it was fully composted the bag said 0.05-0.05-0.05) and i havent done anything to the since . I dont know what could be wrong ???

Joey

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 04:22:59 AM »
Do you have any floating plants like duckweed, azolla, water hyacinth, or water lettuce?
If you have them, put them in there, enough to cover the surface. They will help absorb extra fertilizer.
If they start crowding out your lotus, take enough out so it's not crowded any more.

But besides that...do not tinker with them any more, in any way.

You say you used less Osmocote than I did, but exactly how much did you use, and did you put it at the bottom of the pot or did you mix it throughout the soil?

Except for the first pot, the others look like they will be OK. Don't mess with them in any way, cuz once they get going...the excessfertilizer will no longer be a problem.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 05:46:20 AM »
Joyce, do your comments apply to lotus only?  Or to lilies, too?  Or, to all sorts of potted pond plants (meaning, marginals)?

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 07:19:16 AM »
It can be applied to most pond plants, within reason.
If you are using a smaller pot, read the directions on the OSmcoote label as to how much osmocote to use.
And for goodness sake, do not use straight cow manure.
 :o
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 09:26:09 AM »
mine did the same thing last year joey and they came out of it. .I think they were fertilizer burn also.  I think we just had two very hot weather to quick maybe??

tinkster

Offline joejoe123

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 02:21:53 PM »
I dont have any floating plants to put in there. I used about 1/4 cup of osmacote in the very bottom of the pot like in your directions. I dont think I used straight cow manure it said it was composted and like I said it didnt have any kind of smell or anything.

Joey

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 03:36:27 PM »
I agree, if you just leave 'em alone, they'll catch up to the nutrient level.  8)

Could be some heat involved here, but if the Osmocote is at the bottom, it wouldn't be heated up too much.
I think the leaves could have been burned by too much heat too, especially if you had any windy heat.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"