Author Topic: Snakes  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Snakes
« on: June 20, 2008, 06:01:42 AM »
How do you get rid of a snake?  I have onein my garden and I am terrified of them so i haven't been able to go out there for a week.  I would love to go out and watch my fish or mess with my flowers but I can't because of the stupid snake.  I have seen it twice and I refuse to go out there alone nor will I let my kids go out.  When I saw it teh first time it looked yellow but when I saw it the second time it was black.  Could i have 2 or could it be the same one? 
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Celia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Snakes
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 06:22:09 AM »
I have not tried it myself, but, I heard moth balls sprinkled around will get rid of them.  They hate the smell.  Wonder if anyone else has heard this?  I would be just like you, first sign of snake and I would be out of the yard and standing on the deck . 

Good Luck to you,

Celia

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 06:50:24 AM »
If you lived a little closer I would send my DH over to catch and release him.  He has done that many times for friends.  Maybe you have a neighbor that would be kind enough to help out.

Snakes don't bother me, but I have a brother-in-law that is absolutely terrified, so I know how you feel.

Karen

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 07:00:07 AM »
Hi Monica, I also reside in southern Ohio and most likely you have a gardener snake. Maybe post a pic so someone can identify it for sure. If you have a friend who's not afraid of snakes they could catch it(maybe)and relocate it, if on land it can be more difficult, if they have plenty places to hide. How to prevent them. There is a company called critter ritters that I found on line that sells a host of items to help or evict unwanted creatures. Worked great for me when I had a Racoon nesting in my chimney. Very helpfull people and not expensive.

Tom

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 08:12:42 AM »
I wish I could come over and get it for you. Garter snakes are scarce here and I'd love to have them. They eat slugs!
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 02:14:28 PM »
They eat mice, too!  Very handy to have around.   ;)

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 02:30:26 PM »
All snakes, except for some really limited reasons, will run from you. You might step on them.  lol

Look at the head.
If the head is shaped like a bullet - the snake is not venomous.
If the head is shaped like a guitar pick - the snake IS venomous.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 08:51:27 PM »
LeeAnne I would rather use the snail bait pellets!!  No thank you to snakes!  :o

Offline Monica

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 07:36:03 AM »
Maybe post a pic so someone can identify it for sure.
Tom

Yea right, I am too terrified to go looking for it to try and take its picture.  i would rather not see it again. But I would rather know it is gone.
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 08:17:51 AM »
lol if you find out a way to get rid of them or never see them let me know... I have a horrid problem with them.. to the point I have no frogs left... still have mice, voles, varmits destroying my garden :) 

tinkster

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"