Author Topic: PICS ADDED.........Major yard and garden damage  (Read 4527 times)

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
PICS ADDED.........Major yard and garden damage
« on: June 28, 2008, 01:33:46 AM »
We had what they're saying so far was extremely high straight line winds this afternoon. Our yard, pond and veggie garden were devastated. The top of a 50' tall 50 yr. old Pin Oak tree is now lying on our patio....30' from where the tree stands, our tomatoes are probably history, the corn is laying on its side (don't know if that will revive), our onions no longer have green tops on them and what was going to be the heaviest crop of red and black raspberries in 4 years were reduced to shredded bushes. It literally looks like someone went through our yard and gardens with a huge weed whacker. My pond plants were shredded....lilies as well as all the other pond plants (and I just bought some of these and received others for postage recently), :( it actually moved one whole planter about 2' from where it was originally in the pond, planter is still in the pond upright but the plant is torn to bits. A very, very sad day at our house.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 11:42:04 AM by livetogarden »
zone 5b

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Major yard and pond damage
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 03:22:37 AM »
 :'(  So sorry to hear about all the damage. 
Unlike the garden...the pond plants should recover in time.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 03:53:16 AM »
Oh, I am so sorry!  That is terrible.   :'(

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 04:49:10 AM »
Sorry to hear about the damage Cath. That same storm was supposed to hit here last night but must have gone around us.
We had those straight line winds some years back. Took My 50' pine and dropped it on the hood of my Jeep. Wasn't pretty.
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 05:01:03 AM »
Oh my gosh, Cath I'm so sorry to hear about all this- what a bummer!  At least you are all safe, and there was no damage to your house right?  I agree with Sue, the good news is that the waterlilies will recover- and quickly.  Last year we had a bad hail storm that shredded my lily pads and they looked horrible.  The pads all browned and died off quickly, but new pads grew, and they were full of lush green pads again within about a couple of weeks.  Those new lilies will be adjusting to being uprooted and repotted anyway, and would have went through a phase with growth focused on the roots rather than pads anyway.  I hope you can get everything else cleaned up easily, and I hope some of your veggies recover too...
Joey

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 05:24:50 AM »
Wow! That's a tragedy.
The corn won't right itself. But if you straighten the plants, it may act like nothing happened. It will need support.

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 06:14:41 AM »
Oh my.  In time, I hope all of your plant grow stronger and better than ever.
Alfonso

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 06:23:56 AM »
Cath I am so very sorry to hear this!

Hugs,
Bonnie

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 09:02:25 AM »
Sorry to hear of the severe damage.  Very frustrating...
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 09:07:34 AM »
So sorry about the damage, amazing the toll winds can take on things....our rains and flooding this spring did a number on the way my plants have grown, but nothing like what you are seeing.....hope all comes back nice for you.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 10:51:32 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear about the damage.  The straight line wind was wicked.  According to our weatherman, straight line wind is just as damaging as tornado.  :-\  I hope your corn will bounce back.  I'm sure the clean up will be painful as well.  Sending you lots of hugs.

Kuan

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 11:17:17 AM »
How scary, and sad for your garden.  I remember seeing a huge swath of trees down up in the boundary waters one year, it was like someone shaved the land across islands and hills and it was from a straight line wind.  I hope at least some of it comes back, glad you and family are all right.

Offline kamala

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 12:59:30 PM »
I am so sorry for your troubles.  I wish your a gardens a speedy recovery.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 01:16:04 PM »
Wow, Cath, so sorry.  And I hope those crops were for your own use, not for sale as part of your income.  That sure would hurt! 

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 02:29:12 PM »
Thanks everyone for the kind wishes and thoughts. Yes, Julles, all the veggies are for our own or friend's and family's use. We have a 50' x 100' veggie garden. Most of it is now destroyed. I'm heading out tomorrow to hit nurseries to see if I can find any decent size tomato and pepper plants that may have time to catch up. We usually have enough canned or frozen veggies to get us through till the next growing season. We're so used to the taste of our homegrown I'm not sure how we would act if we had to go to store bought.
BTW....a tree arborist just stopped to check out our oak tree. He said he feels the entire tree needs to come down. He guessed it at 60-65' tall. Our neighbor told us today she saw the top of it smoking as the winds approached so apparently it was struck by lightning before the winds got it. This tree is now reduced to maybe 30' and has no top at all.......that was totally destroyed.
zone 5b

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 03:03:52 PM »
Sorry... :-\
Thanks,
Rich

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 05:43:22 PM »
So sorry to read your sad news Cath.  I hope you and your family are well.  The plants will grow back.  If you need more water-plants let me know.  I have extras I can send to you.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 06:04:18 PM »
Cathy, I'm so sorry. All that damage and to have to pay to have the tree cut and removed too. What a mess. Will your homeowner's insurance pay for any of it?
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 06:24:49 PM »
 :o Yikes...I am so sorry too!  :(
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2008, 07:46:21 PM »
Bummer...Sorry to hear about the damage done to you'r plant's & veggie's .

bonnie

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 08:50:04 PM »
Cath, I also am sorry to hear about your yard mess. The good news is you and your family are safe and most will grow back...eventually. We had a 50' sweet gum total our car and puncture our waterlines in hurricane Francis back in Florida. No fun, but like I said before, no one got hurt! Hoping for a speedy recovery of your gardens.

Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 09:21:33 PM »
Not sure about our homeowners insurance. We were too busy today cleaning up the mess to call them, will call them Monday. We took plenty of pics. The tree guy said many ins. companies won't cover tree removal unless it's threatening a house or street. However.....he also said most likely this will rot if left and eventually fall on the house, so if does come to having to remove it hopefully the ins. will consider that. I don't even want to think about how much the bill would cost for that........the trunk is probably about 18' around and the tree stood 60' tall. We may have to sell our first born....she's a gorgeous 25 yr. old studying to be a landscape architect. Anyone interested?? ;D
But..........all humans and critters are ok. It will be sad here for a long while until we get our yard back in to shape but having all of us ok including the pets plus not losing our house or gazebo (which we spend much of our time in) is a Godsend.
zone 5b

Offline Lynda

• Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2008, 09:55:27 PM »
We're going through the same thing right now - two bad storms with straight-line wind 60-80 mph in the last two weeks.  Insurance does not cover tree removal unless it's actually ON your house...and we have a lot of damaged and down trees. 

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2008, 10:09:36 PM »
Geesh Lynda......I may have to get a job just to cover the bill!! What a rip off!!!! We rarely have an ins. claim. Have lived here for 33 yrs. this past Feb. and had only one claim (also storm related, about 12 yrs. ago) in that length of time. I do believe they are way ahead of us in the money category. Too bad they don't consider your claim history and give people like us a break.
Sorry to hear of your dmage too. I feel for you!!
zone 5b

Offline lindaky

• Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 05:45:12 AM »
So sorry about your yard and plants. We had a huge oak fall a couple years ago. It destroyed my pond. A limb about 12" went through the liner and crushed the pump too. Our insurance did pay for replacement of the liner, pump, and tree removal. The tree was on the very corner of the house but only tore the gutter off. Maybe yours will pay since it's a threat to your house. Hope so.

There's a pond under this tree. :o

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 08:13:20 AM »
So sorry to hear about all of your destruction.  Just when all the plants are at their best and the garden is starting to produce, what a bummer. :'(

Karen

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2008, 08:27:03 AM »
I'm soo sorry to hear about all your damage....those straight line winds can do some serious damage.....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Major yard and garden damage....PICS added
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2008, 06:51:16 PM »
I added pics in the top post. We worked our tails off today and yesterday and can finally see our yard again. We have a pile of limbs at the curb that's 8' deep, 40' wide and about 6' high. In our neighborhood it seems us and the neighbors directly across the street have the most damage, apparently the winds went directly through our 2 lots. Of the 10 houses on our block all the other 8 have at the most only a half dozen small limbs piled on the curb.
zone 5b

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 04:37:44 AM »
Cat, Sorry to hear all of this. I was in Shorline all weekend. When I got home it was 107* at 7:00pm. :o It was hot in Seattle too! I don't think we got much wind tho? I didn't see any messes any ways! Hope all is going to be ok there. Say I may be in Ellesnsburg next month, Maybe we can get together? Didn't you say your about 1/2 hr. from there?
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 11:13:24 AM »
I'm in Omaha, Nebraska. Any time you're close (or anyone is for that matter) I would LOVE to have you stop over. We have a spare room now since our son rented his own apt., you can stay here.  :)
zone 5b

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"