Author Topic: For our Turtle Experts  (Read 1056 times)

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
For our Turtle Experts
« on: June 28, 2008, 08:59:06 PM »
Will a female turtle without a male lay eggs? I have 2 red ear silders indoors and last night I swears one of the dug a pit into the sand island we have in their pond and was lying eggs. I though I took a picture of it but when I went to download it today it was not there so there must not have been enough light and I did not want to scare her by getting closer while she was straining tail down in the pit. Today the hole is all smoothed over and looks like normal. :o

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: For our Turtle Experts
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 01:23:20 AM »
Dig down a little. Be careful, turtle eggs aren't hard like chicken eggs - they are leathery.

Yes, femme turtles will lay infertile eggs.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 04:54:27 PM »
Is it turtles, the creature that can store sperm inside them, and lay fertile eggs for some period of years, even when a male is not present?  I know some animals can do that; seems to me I'm rememberin' turtles can.  Correct me if I'm wrong, or am thinking of some other critter.

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 05:28:24 PM »
Will a female turtle without a male lay eggs? I have 2 red ear silders indoors and last night I swears one of the dug a pit into the sand island we have in their pond and was lying eggs. I though I took a picture of it but when I went to download it today it was not there so there must not have been enough light and I did not want to scare her by getting closer while she was straining tail down in the pit. Today the hole is all smoothed over and looks like normal. :o

Yes, female turtles will lay with or without males.  Females who have been exposed to males can store the sperm for up to five years and lay fertile eggs.  Females who have never been around males will still produce the eggs and must have access to dirt to lay them.  Some who don't have access to dirt will drop the eggs in the water where the eggs (if viable) will drown.  Yes, drown.  Turtles lay permeable shelled eggs which must be allowed to breathe - and yes they can breath while buried in the dirt.  (This breathing thing is why a lot of eggs seem to hatch just after a rainstorm in the summer.)  Other turtles who do not have access to dirt to dig a hole and lay their eggs will just hold them inside - sometimes they are reabsorbed, but more often they bind and end up killing the mother turtle.

When turtles dig their hole and lay their eggs, they end up covering it in such a way that it looks like nothing was ever there.  They even manage this when digging in the hard-as-a-rock georgia red clay - which is completely amazing.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 06:10:20 PM »
Hi Teresa!  @O@ :hug: :clap:
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 06:24:33 PM »
Hey Teresa--WHAT JOYCE SAID!   ;)   o(:-) 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 04:52:41 AM »
Thanks all! My gurls are about 3 yrs old and we have had them since they were silver dollar size, So I don't think they could have stored any sperm. I would love baby turtles though. @O@

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 09:35:25 AM »
Speaking of turtle eggs, I noticed a patch of disturbed soil, and got my spade - sure enough, there were 5 new eggs buried there.  Probably either a box turtle or a stinkpot.  I dug them up and moved them to a safe area, protected from adult turtles and 'coons.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"