Author Topic: Dropped my camera into the pond  (Read 2397 times)

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Dropped my camera into the pond
« on: July 04, 2008, 07:10:49 PM »
I put my camera into my pocket before going outside to feed the fish this
afternoon. Filled my hands with various types of foods and headed out to feed the fish and do tanks (water changes, catch babies & move ect.) and was going to take pictures to put for sale finally and sat on the edge of the pond and hear "Ker plunk" ,the camera fell out of my pocket and into the pond
I grabbed it right away and dried it out and the sim card & batteries so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be ok. I would love a new camera but can't afford one right now.
I also found some type of fish eating nymph or something in one of my babies fry tanks and only 2 babies left. It looked like a hugh earwig, this is the second time in two days I have found hugh water spiders in my baby tanks. The last one was indoors and looked almost like a hugh tranchala spider but not as hairy.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Dropped my camera into the pond
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 09:23:54 PM »
Camera - replace the batteries.

Water nymph - hunt and kill!!!  >:(-

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 10:09:36 PM »
You'll want to dry it very well. If you have a dryer that you can put a shelf in, (so it won't tumlbe) that would be a good way to dry it. But what you need is a very warm, with air moving spot. Let it sit there for hours, maybe a day. then put new batteries in and you should be good to go.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 05:59:25 AM »
Hope the camera is OK.

Yup dragonfly nymph. I've heard they are nasty to the babies. And spiders-------well forget that. I'd probably never pond again if I had those. Everyone fusses about snakes but I'm just as bad about spiders.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 06:10:20 AM »
I hope your camera and remaining fry survive.   :'(  :'(  :'(

I don't take my cell phone to the pond for that very reason...never fails...that is when DH trys to call me...OH WELL

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 07:57:22 AM »
Oh man I dropped my old camara in the pond----it worked afterwards but, never was the same...

I'm like you I don't know what those creatures are but, they about wiped out all of my longfin spawn  this year  >:(- >:(-
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 08:15:37 AM »
Do let us know hoe the camera made out.  As you know I love photos with the camera an inch from the water surface.  I do worry about making a slip.

When Cameras Get Wet; Things To Do After A Dousing

Jon Sienkiewicz, May, 2007

Water. Even a small amount can turn your favorite camera into a worthless, grisly paperweight.

If your camera gear gets in the drink, there’s only a slim chance you can save it. But you can improve your odds if you follow these tips.

Act Fast
If your camera gets wet, it’s important to act quickly. If you’re outdoors when the disaster happens, get to your vehicle as quickly as you safely can. For digital cameras, remove the batteries and memory card, otherwise you run the risk of losing them as well. For film cameras, remove the battery, then carefully and slowly rewind and remove the film. If it’s a motorized rewind unload with a changing bag. Can the images be salvaged? Possibly. But there’s no guarantee.

Dry the outside of the camera with a paper towel or an absorbent cloth. Hold the camera directly in the jet stream of your vehicle’s air conditioning vent for at least 15 minutes. This is dehydrated air and is your best bet. Second choice is a hair dryer (set on low or no heat) or the wall-mounted hand dryer found in public restrooms.

Back at home, seal the camera in a large plastic bag that contains a small dish filled with silica gel desiccant (a drying agent available at some larger hardware stores) and leave it for at least 24 hours. Don’t allow the chemical to touch the camera, or dust could infiltrate the camera through a seam in the plastic. Silica gel is sometimes available in vented canisters or permeable bags that make it very easy to use without directly exposing the chemical.

Contrary to urban legend, baking a wet camera in the oven is not recommended.

Does it still work? You’re not out of the woods yet. Many times when camera equipment has been resuscitated from near drowning, it works for a while—maybe even a few weeks—and then dies. Corrosion caused by the moisture slowly grows until it crosses a solder trace or otherwise causes a short circuit. Rivers, ponds, and sometimes even tap water are alive with all sorts of microbes that can take up residence in your camera or lens. Cloth shutters absorb these critters and slowly mold. Some lenses grow lovely flora patterns that resemble delicate window frost—just before the aperture blades seize and the lens becomes inoperative.

Next step: send it to the manufacturer for analysis and professional service. If you were able to obtain silica gel in permeable paper bags, include a generous supply along with your shipment. The box may sit a couple of days before being opened—the silica gel will continue to work on your behalf.

The camera manufacturer’s warranty never covers damage caused by water damage—but some after-market “extended warranties” do. If you have one, read the fine print before deciding where the item should be sent.

An Ounce Of Prevention
Although some cases and bags claim water-resistant properties, it’s not wise to rely solely on your gadget bag to protect your gear. Even if it could withstand an Amazon downpour, it’s likely you’d transfer some of the water from the outside to the equipment inside. Besides, camera equipment sitting inside a big, wet bag is like you sitting inside a big, wet overcoat.

Pack Your Bags
A plastic garbage bag can save the day. If you’re caught outside when the clouds begin to burst, place the camera in the bag and the bag in your innermost pocket. Even a small sandwich bag will help, provided it’s large enough to be sealed with the camera inside. Some professionals carry bags big enough to enclose their entire gadget bags. The lesson here? Pack your bags.

Underwater Housing
If you participate in wet sports—canoeing or kayaking, for example—you’re going to get wet, so look into an underwater housing for your camera. They’re expensive, but cheaper than replacing your camera. They allow full operation of every camera function, and are terrific for snorkeling and skiing. Some can be used underwater as deep as 100 ft.

Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 08:45:12 AM »
That is tragic, Tracey. I know how you feel. I dropped my cell phone (holder popped off of my belt) into the pond earlier this year. I lost all of my phone numbers and the phone. Hopefully the camera situation is different. I keep my camera on a cord around my neck so that I do not drop it. Still, accidents happen , even with our best precautions.

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 09:04:01 AM »
I left my last camera outside, in the rain, overnight...  {nono}  No hope for it.  So now I have the Olympus 790 sw.  It's waterproof, shock proof and dust proof. Here's a link - http://www.everyprice.com/item.asp?item_Id=175378&partner=g123&keyword=stylus_790sw&gclid=CO6HlJ-PqZQCFR4sagode1J2tQ
Tammie

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 10:29:50 AM »
If the lens show signs of water, use a hair dryer to dry it out after you have taken out all the parts like battery and memory card.  I did that with my DH's cell phone.  His phone went through an entire wash cycle in the washer and was dripping wet when I found it.  I also let it "baked" under the sun too since the hair dryer took too long but I'm not sure if your camera will withstand the heat.  I did that with DH's phone thinking that was just the last ditch effort and assuming it was a goner anyway.  That was his 1st time doing a wash and would be his last.   ;)

I hope you can salvage your camera.

Kuan

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 07:41:59 PM »
I dropped my camera in the pond last year too . I took the SD card out & set it in the sun in the window .I used a hair dryer on the camera & I set it in front of
the fan's in the milk house ( they keep the milk cold )...by the next day it was working good.
Still useing it , I would've liked to have a new camera too but didn't have the extra $$$ for one.

I hope you can get it to working again ,

bonnie

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 07:55:28 PM »
Hey Jerry, really great tips,  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 but if you drop in the toilet,  :o :o act fast and imidiately. (I did) reach into the yellow water.  @O@ @O@ {nono} {nono} (just pretend that it is gatorade) {:-P;; {:-P;;  and rip it out, imidiately remove the battery. (most important) and put it in a very warm and dry location for a day.

Good Luck,
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 08:06:21 PM »
Hope you got it dried up in time.  I left mine out in the rain for a while a few weeks ago.......got it dried up, the card out and dried and it worked.  I know that's not the same as dropping in the pond but here's hoping yours' works good also.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 10:47:33 PM »
You guys are blessed.  O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 06:38:37 AM »
Steve, exactly why were you using the camera in the bathroom?!   :teehee:
Strange how it fell right into the toilet.....  :o {:-P;; lol 
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline tracey_shafer

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 12:09:19 PM »
I put the batteries back in last night and reprogrammed it and it seems to be working.
Do these pics seems to be fuzzy to you? lol

Jerry I called about the warranty, I had purchased an extended one when I got the camera but it did not cover blond. And reconditioning the camera cost about $100 to $150, it is a Fujifilm 900 I can buy a nicer new camera for less than $300.

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 12:19:48 PM »
Yeah, the objects in the first two look pretty fuzzy  :P  The lily shot is great!  Glad it is working and didn't die a watery death  :)
Joey

Offline Desertponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 12:35:12 PM »
The pics look good so maybe its saved! O0
I dropped my old Fuji in the kiddie pool last summer. I grabbed it immediately, opened it all up and let it dry out. It worked but the exposure seems off a little bit. DH and I have also both dropped our cell phones in the ponds too. They were immediate toast. ::)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 01:17:22 PM »
The first two pictures are of something fuzzy but the pictures are fine, especially tha last one. U B lucky.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 11:43:42 AM »
You are so lucky it still works!  I was out taking pics of baby fish last night with my $600.00 camera, and wondered what would happen if I dropped it in....that would be very bad.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 02:52:47 PM »
You pics look good to me.  I think the reason the first one is a little fuzzy is because of the cage.  The rabbit looks great.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 06:14:51 PM »
Joyce, too much information is not always the best thing @O@ @O@ @O@ @O@ lol lol lol lol

Steve

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"