Author Topic: Shipping Plants  (Read 1326 times)

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Shipping Plants
« on: July 05, 2008, 08:37:15 AM »
I have had two interesting events this year that I wanted to pass on to those who question the mailing of plants. I ship hundreds of plants out to customers each year, and have very few problems. I tried something new this year.
I sent 2 lotus runners to a customer which had several growing tips on each runner. The customer emailed me saying that the plants arrived and were brown and the small leaf pads were broken. I do not know how the USPS handled them so roughly as they were well packed and green when they left here. I gladly offered to replace them, but asked for them to be returned. The customer sent them back to me by regular mail. Almost two weeks from the time I sent the plants, I received them back. I planted them, and both plants survived and are growing.
I sent a tropical lily to another customer, who said the plant arrived also in poor condition. The customer said it was very limp and turning to mush. I replaced it, but again asked for the plant to be returned. It was returned also by regular mail. I received the plant, planted it, and again, the plant is surviving and growing.
I am posting this so that members realize that the plants are not as fragile as is sometimes assumed. If the plant is not left to dry out completely, nor stewed in a plastic bag of water, plants often will respond. In may take a while longer, but do not cast your favorite plants aside when something happens to them. They are stronger than you may think.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping Plants
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 09:02:41 AM »
Frank I gotta agree with you totally...most of them are as tuff as nails....I have a habit of tossing hyacinth out of the pools when they get too crowded and onto the ground....to date this year I have 4 clumps of hyacinth that has rooted into the ground---growing and blooming with out water  :o....I have tossed lily tubers out onto the ground...only for them to start sprouting once we get rain....I totally stopped watering 2 pools of water plants because I was going to let them dry up-die and take them out to replace them with something else---they went that way ALL summer with NO water....I never did get around to getting them out of the pools and wouldn't you know it---this spring there they were green and thriving....I'm beginning to think most water plants can dry completely out and come back to life with no problem...I think that most of them are designed to do so out in the wild....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 09:13:17 AM »
I agree with both of you.  But I can understand the customer being upset about the condition of the plant... when they're expecting a big, blooming plant.  Alot of people don't have our long growing season, and would never see the plant recover.  I've had a couple of shipping problems this year too.  I had one order shipped to me "lost" when the post office sent it to the wrong zipcode.  The box sat there for a week before they sent the box to the correct post office.  It was addressed correctly... was clearly their error.   It's been about 2 months now and about 3/4 of the plants are only now recovering. 
Tammie

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 09:37:07 AM »
I agree, Tammie, and that is why I gladly replaced the plants. No matter what you do, it seems that you can always have a problem with shipping. Wrong house delivery, left in sun, placed in cargo hold in the hottest section, etc. are among the many problems. My post was more to inform members of the plants' abilty to survive when things happen. (If fish tear it up, or animals, or a leak drops your water level, or if it is a trade, etc.) Don't give up on it too quickly.

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 09:41:38 AM »
Your right Tammie---I wouldn't expect a customer to nurse a new plant back to health--I would'nt want to do that either if I paid for it---I would gladly ship a replacement--...but, I was just saying that most of them are really tuff as nails..

Lawanna

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 04:21:31 AM »
I just recived yesterday a pkg. of Lotus from Frank. It was wrapped quiet well and still plenty moist. BTW Thank you Frank! I got the bigest one planted ok. There was some dead leaves but plenty of live ones. the little one I just floated for now as I dind't have time to finish but I put it in a tub of water tell I get home from work today. It doesen't look so great but I'll plant her anyway and hope for the best! I have learned to only put well established plants into the pond. Ones with strong roots to hold it in. My big piggies eat them otherwise!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 08:20:34 AM »
I didn't notice a sticky on the plant exchange forum for "shipping of plants".   Perhaps you guys could start a thread on the packaging of terrestrial and water plants for shipping and proper handling thereof upon receipt.  Sean could make a sticky of it.  I've made many plant exchanges in the past (GW plant exchange) most people did a pretty good job but some people had no clue.... 

One thing I always appreciate from shippers is an e-mail telling me when it was mailed and how shipped, e.g., Priority.  In that way I have a heads up and I can make preparations to plant it and also tell other members of the family that I'm expecting a plant so that it doesn't sit roasting in the sun on the porch....  One time I was expecting a terrestrial plant to arrive and I didn't tell other members of my family about it.  It arrived and someone placed it inside the house but didn't tell me about it.  It sat there for about a week before someone asked me if I was going to open my package  :P
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 08:58:14 AM »
I really should learn to not post anything when I first wake up... seems I don't make much sence.  Not that I make much sence when I'm fully awake either...  The point I was trying to make is that alot of people don't have a choice, on wheither or not to give up on a plant - their growing season is to short for the plant to have recovery time.  
I send replacement plants too, when possible.  But if I'm sending out my last one there isn't much I can do until next year.  For two years now I've owed Kat a lily for the next year!  So far I've acually remembered from year to year that I owe her... but the older I get... I'd better start taking better notes... but then I'll have to remember where my notes are!  lol
Tammie

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 09:16:53 AM »
  Mikey--great idea....I think it should also include Tammie's PP instructions too---nothin like getting  pets along with your new plant arrivals...
Awww Tammie.....I understood what you were saying...I've learned soo much about shipping from you....Your a great teacher  O0.....But, if your anything like me...I take notes---but, have soo many---they get crowded out and sometimes forgotten....and I'm sure most people realize how busy most of us are...thank goodness....and give us a gentle reminder if needed....
Lawanna

Offline mistya55

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 02:17:35 PM »
Most of the time it probably is the receivers fault and they just don't want to admit it.  I just ordered some waterlilies from Kat last week and they are still in route, and that was all my fault. :-\ I didn't update my address in my paypal account. :(  So I can only cross my fingers and just hope they make it here and are ok. I personally wouldn't try to make a big deal out of it and make her pay for my mistake. That is just wrong.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"