Author Topic: Guess what I found today  (Read 2141 times)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Guess what I found today
« on: July 07, 2008, 07:28:06 PM »
Thought you might get a kick out of this. Today it stormed here and when I got home from work I noticed the electricity had gone off, so I went to see if the pumps in the ponds were working.  All but one, it is touchy so I gave it a shake and went to go back to the house.  I looked up and noticed something fuzzy on the roof, thought it was a squirrel tail till I got closer.  It was way up on the peak so it was hard to see, but didn't look like a squirrel tail more black and white, Hmmmmm??  I got the binoculars out and was shocked to see what I thought to be a SKUNK tail, so I went to the front of the house and looked, sure enough a little skunk, not moving  Hmmmmmmmm maybe an Owl or a hawk got it.  Well when DH came home from work I told him, he said last night he woke up at about 2:30am to the smell of skunk, but still weird it was on the roof.  Well him not liking heights ( it's a 2 story with a very steep pitch), I said I'd go up and get it down and he could make dinner.  Got it down and went and dug a hole in the tree-line and buried it.  Got back to the deck and sat on the swing, DHcame out and sat down.......looked out on the yard and quickly said, "What the F*%# is that on the Shed roof", sure enough a tail, black and white hanging down over the peak.  Another little skunk, again my job, get the ladder get it down and burry it.  Now what are the odds of this happening to anyone!!! Now I'm wondering if maybe it was an adult owl/hawk teaching it's young OR maybe someone's just messing with us.

Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Guess what I found today
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 07:33:31 PM »
That is so sad!  :'(
I hope someone is not messing with you.  {nono}
That would be sick!   >:(
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 08:29:20 PM »
Oh, the poor little things.  Not that I want a skunk under my porch or as a pet, but that first picture is so sad.  :'( 

I think it was an owl or hawk that accidently dropped them.  Surely no one would climb up to the peak of your two-story house to put one up there (although someone could sling a dead skunk onto the shed).  What a mystery.  :thinking:

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 08:34:06 PM »
So sad!
Agree on the "hope nobody is messing with you" thing. Are you sure they were completely dead? Maybe they climbed up there to as to distance themselves from their healthy kin? Like how fish distance themselves (become isolated) if they are ill in order to protect those close to them... Or it was dropped from a distracted predator.

I'm just speculating, but maybe they got struck by lightning? Strange, but sad.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 09:29:11 PM »
Very strange indeed.  Bart has ghosts walking about in his house and you've got dead skunks on the roof...  Very weird....  Let us know if you figure out what's going on....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 05:30:55 AM »
Hmmm- that is very ironic.... It's kinda scary when it starts raining skunks on your property!   ?)(?
Joey

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 09:47:30 AM »
How strange and how sad. Seems really odd that there would be two different ones on the roof.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 11:22:10 AM »
SKunks around here are VERY susceptible to rabies. When they are rabid, the disease affects their mind - so the other name "hydrophobia" is one of the symptoms.  >:(
If I were you, I'd wear gloves burying the poor babies.

They make good pets. The gland that produces that smell can be surgically removed. They are playful, like ferrets.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 07:36:50 PM »
Well no new critters on the roof, dead or alive. 
Karen, oh yes they were both dead and the flies had already moved in.  Skunks do not climb things like say a cat, squirrel etc, so I know they didn't go up there themselves
Sunbeam...I did not where gloves, the one on the house I covered with a plastic bag and did the scoop and tie, the one on the shed I got with a shovel...I would never pick up any dead animal bare handed
It is sad, Sunday I had refilled the squirrel dish (my feeder is broke) so I'm sure they were there for the food.  Owls are the # 1 controller of skunks in the wild, so I'm still betting it was either a young one or a parent teaching a juvinle to hunt, thus 2 dead skunks.  Only a large bird would have gotten it to the top of the house, and both being on the peak ends is a good perching spot.  Still it was quite random to find one yet alone two, makes for a good story.

Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 08:06:38 PM »
How odd, and to find two of them. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 08:46:48 PM »
Sad, I have to agree with the owl thing Marla. Both are nocturnel also.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 06:20:39 AM »
Just a thought.
I was mentioning this to my boss, and he said that some poisons make animals go crazy before they die.
Very often they get paranoid, delusional, SEEK HIGH GROUND for some reason.
Skunks can't climb very well, but when poisoned, they get franctic and are capable of climbing just about anything.
(with the exception of Spotted Skunks that will climb up and down anything, spotted skunks are good climbers!)
If they were poisoned, and became delusional, they could have climbed up to the top of your house and/or shed and then died from the poison.
And if there is any plant, tree, shrubs, wires, pipes, or anything that would help them climb up your house or shed, they would use that to get to the top.

Someone in your neighborhood may be poisoning animals.  >:(
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 12:24:05 PM »
I'm with you Marla, sure makes a good story. BTW, what did he make for dinner? ;)

I once was dilusional, (well, maybe more than once) and woke up on the garage roof, but man did my head hurt. :o

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 01:19:30 PM »
The idea of poison had crossed my mind too. :(

I can understand the owls maybe dropped them but I would think they would have come back for them
or they would have sat there on the roof with them.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 06:56:25 PM »
Or maybe the owls caught them, then realized they didn't smell like other prey and left them there.  Vultures don't seem to care how bad ANYTHING smells, so too bad they didn't find them first. 

I HATE the thought of someone in the neighborhood poisoning animals... >:(-

And Steve,  lol  that's not dilusional .... it's over-indulgence, well, at least it has been when I've woke up on the roof.... ;)  just kiddin'

LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"