Author Topic: Went to my first ever rock concert last night  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
Went to my first ever rock concert last night
« on: July 07, 2008, 09:45:37 PM »
My sister-in-law and I went.  My brother wasn't interested.  I probably wouldn't have travelled to see this band, but since it is rare that anyone comes here to play anything I figured it would be an experience.  We actually had three bands play.  The first one I knew would be a joke when the drummer comes out first without a shirt on and struts around the stage grinning from ear to ear.  After one song we moved as far away as we could.  Their 30 minutes conisted of screaming into the mic while jumping around.  No one had a clue what they were supposed to be singing, but it ended with another one taking off his shirt so it must have been good for them.

The second band was "Mobile" and there was only one song in their 45 minutes that I recognized.  They were quite a bit better than the first band and we got back up close for them.  They ended with "Teenage Wasteland" which was nicely done, but not their song.  The venue this was in, though, was a hockey ring and even though they just spent $13 million improving the place it seems that none of that went to doing anything about the sound problems in there so pretty much all it turns into is echoing base, feedback noise and unrecognizable vocals unless you already know the words and can pick them out from the rebounding sound waves.  At work today someone came in and said the concert was great.  I asked him why and he said 'cause it was loud, but you couldn't understand any of the words.  Okay, must be easy to be a rock star then.  Just make noise.

The headliner band was "Default" from Vancouver and they are quite well known in Canada and it remains a mystery why they would even stop here but they did.  For them we were able to make our way to within 6 bodies of the stage near centre.  We found that the closer we could get the better the sound was.  We managed to get close to the pocket where the side speakers didn't interfere as mush with the speakers on the stage so the bad sound qualities of the building was ever so slightly muted closer up.  We were able to get to the second row thanks to a few people getting hoisted up in front of us and surfed back over our heads.  From this close the sound was as good as it was going to get for this place and we could make actual eye contact with the lead singer very easily.  Just about every song they did I've heard at one time or another so I enjoyed their performance.

We stayed up front for about half of it until a few people decided to start the shoving back and forth so we dropped back again (which still was very close since there weren't that many people actually on the floor in front of the stage - more sat a mile away in the stands).  Then we watched the crowd surfing in wonder as people would just let people fall on their heads instead of reaching up and moving them along.  "Gee, I'm not going to touch him, let's just let me fall on his head here instead."

My ears rang the rest of the night.

It would have been much better outside without the building ruining the sound, but it's not too often you can get close enough to get splattered with a singers sweat when he bops his head so what-the-heck, it was something to witness.  I'll need to pick up their CDs.

http://www.defaultonline.com/

"Count on me" is one of the best ones if you want to take a listen.

Bart

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Went to my first ever rock concert last night
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 09:58:01 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it Bart.  I don't care for "hard" rock although in years past I worked overtime at many rock concerts.  Remember Devo?  It was raining the night I worked their concert.  I was wearing yellow rain slickers.....just like the band  lol
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Derrick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 03:54:25 AM »
OH NO, IT'S DEVO!!! LOL

Saw Tragically Hip 2 weekends ago on Prince Edward Island. Bunch of other bands played to, Billy (no)Talent was one of them.

Give me the good old concerts like Skynerd, Frampton, Foreigner...hell, even Pat Benatar! LOL @O@
Derrick....just a drummer in a rock and roll band.

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 09:09:21 AM »
There are better bands I'd like to listen to, but even the best would be less than their potential in this venue.  It's just unfortunate that their sound guys solution to the problem was just to make it worse with the feedback and reverb.

Bart

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 12:26:24 PM »
I bought a couple DEVO cassettes in my time. Aaah, the very early 80's

Anyone try for an autograph Mikey?

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 03:41:24 PM »
Bart, have you been to concerts for other types of music? I've been to sooooo many concerts.

I love Pat Benatar and Foreigner. I've seen them both in concert twice. Peter Frampton was my second concert ever back in 1978. Billy Joel my first (1977). My most recent (2007) as well.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 03:56:46 PM »
Nothing else.  Closest was Blue Man Group in Vegas which was awesome.  Nothing comes here - too small of a city and I don't care enough about them to make a special trip anywhere to see them.  I would have liked to see Elton John since he is coming to Regina, but the tickets sold out in 4 minutes and I didn't know anything about it until much later.

Bart

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 05:01:59 PM »
at home, I like listening to the blues or classic country, but as far as rock concerts go:

Ted Nuegent ROCKS!!!!!!!!!! O0 O0 O0

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 07:15:34 PM »
I've seen Elton John three times. Once in the 80's, once in the 90's and in 2001 with Billy Joel.

;D

He is going to be playing a bunch of shows in Vegas:
http://www.eltonjohn.com/concerts/

He is wonderful.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 11:33:08 PM »
Not rock, but I'm trying to get tickets to see Placido Domingo in Chichen Itza this fall.  I think the combination of his voice and the location will be fantastic.  So far though, I can't figure out the ticket thing, like who's actually selling them and if they are already on sale.  There are huge billboards advertising it all over the city but they don't have a phone number or place that I can read while driving  {nono} The hotels in the area have all doubled their rates for that night though so we're going to take the RV and stay in the parking lot, assuming I can figure out how to buy tickets. 

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 01:55:21 PM »
Sounds like you had a good time.  I've been to my share and a wide variety of types. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"