Author Topic: The beginnings of a couple ponds  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
The beginnings of a couple ponds
« on: July 09, 2008, 12:40:13 AM »
The house renovation is still going, we've been over at the beach for a couple weeks and came back today.  I was hoping that the compressor and jackhammer would be gone but they are still there.  We only had about a foot of soil in the yard, all the rest is solid limestone rock.  They've finished jackhammering out the swimming pool and now they are starting on the pond.  It looks like they had just started.  The inside pond is in place with a spot for the skimmer I brought down.  The devil is in the details which I'll work out later.

Here's a pic of the hallway and the inside pond running down the wall on the left.  There is a covered opening in the ceiling for sunlight and air and the lower wall will be covered with limestone, the same rocks they are jacking out of the yard.  The pillars above were there and we left them, the architect thinks this was once part of a much larger house and that was the opening to an interior patio.  The other thought is that when there wasn't a house next door they had the hallway walled and open above with just pillars. 

Here's a closer look at the inside pond.  It's about 2' deep.  The white pvc coming out of the wall will be in the bottom of concrete planter boxes along the wall that will function as bog filters and overflow back into the pond.  there will also be another pump moving water from the skimmer to the other end of the pond as it is so long and narrow we hope that will keep a flow going for cleaning the surface.  I keep worrying about piles of dog hair floating on it.   The openings on the bottom are lights.

This is where the outside pond will be, they are just starting to jackhammer it out.  All debris has to be bagged and stored inside the house until they have a truckload, the truck has to come after 11pm to pick it up and needs a permit from the police to come into the city center.

Here's part of the pool, the hole is complete and they are starting to form it with rocks and concrete.

There is still a lot left to be done.  I'm hoping we are still on schedule for completion in August but I'm doubtful.  I'm not even going to ask.  I had really hoped that they would only need a couple weeks of the jackhammer and the big compressor but unfortunately they found solid rock and not smaller ones they could pick out and break up by hand.   The floors are done in 3 rooms that they don't have to haul things through, the others will have to wait until most of the debris is gone.  The cabinet maker is starting work on the cabinets for the kitchen, baths and closets and I have a large concrete hood in the kitchen and a counter and one sink - all concrete.   Some of that will be covered in tile, some painted and some will be polished white cement.   

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: The beginnings of a couple ponds
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 09:23:57 AM »
Wow!  Are you having to build the cabinets extra strong because of the concrete?  I want concrete countertops but hubby says my cabinets won't hold the weight...  Maybe I should have concrete cabinets too!  I'm all into anything new in the house has to be termite proof! 
Maybe we should just move next door to you! Yeah!  Similar weather, but cheaper material costs and labor...
Tammie

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 11:19:37 AM »
My understanding, I'll know more after my meeting with the cabinet maker this week, is that the supports for the cabinets will also be concrete but they aren't in yet as we haven't finalized the placement and number of drawers, etc. Most cabinets are custom here and many just have concrete shelves that are open,  more than that and you decide what placement you want and they put the supports in concrete and build in the doors, shelves and drawers.  The shelves are also concrete to save on wood and because the termites won't eat it.  I will have some screening on the front of the wooden doors and drawers to allow air circulation - also needed here to prevent molds.  I'm thinking of putting in a couple of muffin fans like they use in computers to keep the air moving.

The openings for the cooktops will be cut into the concrete.  There is an additive that can be put in concrete that makes it able to withstand higher heat, I don't think they used it after all on these as they finally talked me into regular cooktops.  I had wanted the old fashioned burners and they would have let more heat to the concrete around them.  Now, I have 2, 2-burner cooktops going in.  I wanted the burners separated so I could use large pots and have room around them.  I ended up buying them as units made by Bosch so the heat is contained. 

I like the way the polished white cement looks on counter tops and that's what all my counters will be. My concern though is that I've heard it is easy to stain with things like coffee.  It gets sealed and can be re-sealed as often as needed.  I think I'm just going to smoosh any coffee I spill all around right away and hope it looks like it was meant to be there.   lol

Labor is certainly cheaper down here, materials not always.  Some woods are cheaper that are grown in the area or in Central America but there are some foreigners here who have a huge store selling Thai and Chinese imported furniture and doors.  They seem to be doing very well.  The imported wood is also termite resistant hardwoods, have to have that, and much of it looks similar to some of the old colonial stuff but it is cheaper to import it than to buy recycled old stuff.  It's still cheaper to build it new and make it look old, that's been our choice so far.  I was very tempted by an old Chinese cabinet for a vanity in the bath but it ended up being the wrong size.

Yeah, come on down!!  It's hard to ship things from here or rather, it's very expensive and I think your husband would have to start over with lawyer school  {:-P;;  Other than those details I think the weather is similar, when I look we are about 10 degrees warmer here but that could just be today.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 06:10:42 PM »
Very very nice, Jonna!  Awesome photos of your design and ponds.  Looking fabulous!  I can't wait to see the finished design!

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 10:05:24 PM »
Everything changes, when we met with the cabinet maker at the house he measured and said the counter is too low.   It seemed right to me when I stood next to it until he pointed out that the tile floor was not in yet which would raise it and then Mimi noticed that the sink was too shallow.  So, we had the architect over and he agreed and they are tearing it out and will redo it.  They seemed like it was no big deal, knock it down and do it again.  So, I asked for the counter to slope into the sink on the right since they were re-doing it and all  {:-P;;

I was wrong about the concrete supports Tammie.  The counter is free standing as you see in the pic above, it has rebar in it or something that makes it strong.  The cabinets are wood and are built to fit underneath so they don' t support the concrete. 

I'm just glad the cabinet guy noticed the low counter as I wouldn't have untll after the floor went in and it seemed lower.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 05:12:22 AM »
Jonna, this is so escitting @O@ I'm so glad things are moveing along for you! Can't wait to see more!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 09:45:38 PM »
Oh my.  By the entryway of you home, it looks very nice.  I can't wait to see how you ponds will look. 
Alfonso

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 05:32:35 PM »
The latest drama is that while they were jackhammering a hole in the garage for a water cistern, they broke through the roof of a cave! It runs under the front entry, garage and front bedroom/office.  It's not high, maybe 4 or 5 feet but it snakes around a bit under there .  Mimi got in there and looked around and tried to take pics but it's difficult to do.  The architects had also been in there and pointed out some stone pillars that the original builders put in to support the wall running the width of the house, it's about 100 - 120 yo.   We went through all the cool ways we could use it but the bottom line is that anything but closing it up would be much too expensive.  So, they will build a perimeter wall, fill the opening with stones, cover it with concrete and rebar and then put the cistern on top of that + our jeep too parked in the garage.  They say it will be fine. 

Here's Mimi coming out of the cave

and one of the old pillars supporting the wall, there are 4 or 5 of these.

It's an adventure, that's for sure.  Actually, I'm really enjoying this renovation.  Probably because i don't have to do any of the grunt work myself. 

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 08:00:06 PM »
That's pretty cool.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 09:52:21 PM »
How mysterious!  Did you find anything of interest in the cave?  Rock formations, etc?  Will you be able to access them after the floor is finished?

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 11:19:16 PM »
No, it will be sealed off and other than the pillars we didn't find anything.  We went through all kinds of things we could do with it. I suggested a pond but, in the garage? Where would we park the car? Mimi suggested a root cellar but sheez for what roots?  She's from Colorado so she still thinks like that.  Then we thought of venting the cool air up into the house like a built in AC but frankly I would worry about molds and such.  A wine cellar came up, a secret room or a bomb shelter, a mushroom farm ... 

This peninsula is riddled with caves.  It's near here that the huge meteorite crashed into the earth and killed off all the dinosaurs.  When that happened, it compressed the shallow sea that used to be over the peninsula and turned it into one big - very flat - chunk of limestone that is riddled with pockets or caves.  All of the rivers here are underground, in places where the ceiling has broken in to the rivers there are wonderful, cool, water filled caves for swimming and diving.  Diving in them is incredible.  The water is so clear that you can't see it so it feels like you are just flying through these huge, football stadium sized caves full of enormous stalagtites and stalagmites.  Divers have traced most of the cave systems now and connected them to the sea.   I admit I'm rather glad that this wasn't one of those caves, I'm not up for having a river in my garage.  In addition, many of the caves in the city were used as septic tanks and I'm really, really happy that this wasn't one of those.  We did find the septic tank in the backyard and it was probably a small cave originally.

So, I was glad that there wasn't any water in the cave although having an inside swimming hole would have been interesting but the dampness in the walls would not have been good.  It was wet inside the day we were there but the tail end of Dolly had just caused several downpours and the water actually ran in from the street and into the hole.  To solve that, they are raising the first part of the entry hall and giving it a slight slope towards the street.  They are also sloping the garage floor towards the street.  I just wish this cave had been in the backyard and saved us the month of jackhammer and compressor rental to dig the pond and pool. 

It's been fascinating, we did find some old broken pottery and metal objects in the debris from digging the pool.  We saved them.  I am thinking it would be kind of cool to duplicate the pattern on the pottery for dishware. 

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 04:01:47 AM »
Wow! It just keeps me glued to the board!  what's next? I can't wait. It's like I'm reading a good novel!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 07:15:41 AM »
At the very least you should do a little time capsule for your family!  Just think what the capsule's opener would think in about another 100 years?

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 01:23:32 PM »
That's true Kat.  I think I'll take the pieces we found along with maybe a DVD of the whole renovation before and after and whatever else I can think of and put it in a kind of 'memory box' for the house.  I like that idea.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 02:26:44 PM »
Your explanation on the caves is so cool!  That's real history to enjoy.  Maybe you can make a flat surface for a tray, artwork or table with all the broken pottery.

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 09:52:08 PM »
hmmm, that's another good idea.  They make those sand tables a lot down here.  It's a coffee table and the top is a box usually filled with sand and shells and then there is glass on top of that.  I could just have old tiles and pottery and such in there.  Great ideas!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 10:50:40 AM »
You know we'll want photos!  ;D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"