Author Topic: LA Weight Loss  (Read 2439 times)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
LA Weight Loss
« on: October 07, 2006, 12:44:30 PM »
I remember a discussion about this plan a couple years ago. Wonder if any of the participants are still with us.

My stepsister has lost fifty pounds on LA Weight Loss but it has cost her $2000.  I flat out cannot afford even a fraction of that amount. Wondering if anyone would share any tips? She won't. :(
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: LA Weight Loss
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 02:15:09 PM »
What is the LA weight loss plan? Move to LA, spend so much on a dumpy house that you can't afford to eat?

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline annsc_29710

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 05:09:35 PM »
LeeAnne, I lost 65 a few years back by just stopping after the first bite you fill full. None of that going hungry or changing what I eat. I love fried food and some junk. Use a smaller plate you will be able to tell after a week or two that you are cutting back. It took about 10 months. Ann

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 06:02:22 PM »
One of the largest studies recently has been the 45,000 Danish folks over 5 years, published in THE most prestigious journal (The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition).
Dr. Eades blogged about it, click for more: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/

"The take home message from this Danish study is that if you want to minimize the growth of your abdomin over time, you should eat meat, avoid vegetable oil, eat non-starchy fruits and vegetables and avoid sugar and refined grains. Hmmm, I've heard that somewhere else." -M.R. Eades

If you don't like Atkins, try http://www.amazon.com/Protein-Power-Lifeplan-Comprehensive-Blueprint
/dp/0446525766/sr=8-2/qid=1160269426/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-6529841-0233557?
ie=UTF8&s=books

One of my best friends lost a tone of weight using LA Weightloss, but it keeps coming back. Making a lifetime commitment to a low carb way of eating can literally save your life.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 06:12:07 PM by karen J »
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 06:35:22 PM »
Give ediets.com a look see. They have about 20 diets to choose from + lots of other help things. There is a fee to join but it's minimul. I joined back in April and am down 40 pounds. I can use whichever diet plan I like, switch them around and not have to go out of my house to weigh in. You weigh in once a week online. They have an 800 number to call 24 hours a day if you want to talk to someone about your diet. They will also work up an exercise program for you.  There have like a chat room and one time I sat in on a motivational speaker/chat. He said two things I liked. One is that when we diet we usually deprive ourselves of everything we like and eat straw. (I exagerated a bit). He said that is why we blow it and never go back eventually. He said to schedule at least once a week some treat. For instance if we know Aunt Harriet is having a birthday party, then schedule a bit of icecream and cake and go home knowing you ate what you were supposed to. Maybe you can exercise a bit more to make up for it. Now if I could just think of the other thing.!! >:(-

I don't like the idea of having to restrict certain things from my intake or only be able to eat certain things so chose a menu driven diet. To be honest I am not eating what they suggest and am sticking to what we all know is the way to lose weight. I am avoiding red meat somewhat, eating ham, chicken, turkey, and fish, lots of vegetables and fruit , which I love and cutting back on the sugar, flour and fat. I'm reading labels at the store and if there are two packages of food and one is high in fat or sugar, then I pick the lower one. I drink lots of ice water or decaf iced tea.

Until August 22 I had a lot of exercise because of yard work and working on our duplex that had been vacated by two families. But after my dad was hurt, I spend a lot of time sitting in the hospital. A couple of weeks ago I discovered the stairway. He is on the 6th floor and the cafeteria where the ice machine is, is in the basement. I go up and down 6 flights of stairs at least once a day and the other day I did it 4 times. There are 20 steps to a flight. I don't like to do exercises just to exercise but don't mind the stairs or walking.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 07:18:07 PM »
I'm on the seafood diet. You see food and eat it. lol lol lol

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 08:20:12 AM »
I'd like to know too.  I've heard of several people who have had success on the plan but I think anything works of you stick to it.  Mike & Scott, you are too funny! lol  How many calories does laughing burn? See, I'm thinner already   ::)
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 10:29:58 AM »
I don't eat pasta often at all. Maybe twice a month. White rice even less.
I do eat potatoes more often. Several times a week.

I do eat whole grain bread, (baked) crackers, croutons, rolls.
I don't eat white bread unless it is fresh French bread occasionally.
I buy whole grain buns for burgers when we grill in the summer.

I don't eat fast food very often, less than once a month. I don't order shakes or pop when I do and often skip fries too.

I eat meat, chicken, fish, seafood. Baked, broiled, poached, bbq'd.
I don't eat fried food very often.

I love veggies and fruits. I don't put butter on my veggies. I love salad.

I don't eat when I am sad or angry.

I don't keep sweets in the house or order desserts at restaurants.

I don't drink soda pop often, I'll have a Pepsi less than once a week.

I drink one cup of coffee with flavored sweetener a day. Never buy fancy high calorie coffee at Starbucks etc.

I do not drink much booze. :(  headaches. Frankly, I love many wines, beers and cocktails.

When I do eat dessert it is likely to be fruit based rather than cake or chocolate
I do not eat after dinner or have dessert after dinner. IF we have dessert, I'm more likely to eat it for breakfast than after dinner.

I don't eat many processed foods. Never Hamburger Helper, boxed potatoes, TV dinners. I did buy some Lean Pockets the other day but found them nasty.

I eat bacon or sausage twice a month.

I use real butter, sparingly, I avoid trans fat laden margarines. I avoid store bought baked goods with trans fats too.

I have never learned to tolerate low fat or no fat or diet mayo, sour cream, spreads, salad dressing, pop, etc.
So, I either avoid the real thing or use it sparingly.

I prefer a rich yummy dessert once a month or less to one that tastes like cardboard daily.

I cannot tolerate any of the sweeteners, Splenda, Nutrasweet etc. They all gag me. Good thing that I detest sweetener in my tea. 

I do not drink enough water or decaff tea during the day. I try but I am bad about it. I've been bad about it my entire life. I rarely feel thirsty.

I have been very bad about skipping meals and eating too much for dinner. I have been much better about it lately, making a concentrated effort to eat breakfast and to have healthy snacks to keep my metabolism up rather than my body thinking it is starving. It is nothing for me to go until 3pm with no food or drink other than the one cup of coffee. I know that is very bad.

I have been reducing what I eat at meals. I have been leaving food on my plate at restaurants. I've been dipping my fork into the salad dressing rather than dumping it all over the salad.

I do not use a lot of salt.

I do not keep candy, chips or any kind of snacks by my desk or in my car or purse

As a child, I was skinny. I was on Ritalin from first grade to sixth grade so I'm sure that had something to do with it. I ate like a horse, ate much more than I do now. Meds changed 7th grade and I gained some weight but still nothing that would say I was overweight. Just less skinny. However, between 8th grade and high school my mother was very ill and no one refilled my meds and I gained close to twenty pounds. My freshman year school photo, you can see that my dress was too small. It was a 5 and I was a 9. I have continued to gain ever since. I've been "watching" what I eat since high school. It has done no good. I definately drank a lot of booze and ate a lot of fast food in the '80s but I weigh much more now than I did then.

I have lost about fifteen pounds since the Portland Pond Party, Unfortunately, my 25th high school reunion is in two weeks and I weigh twenty pounds more than the 20th. I gained over twenty after the car accident in 2002 and another ten after quitting my florist job and working a lot on the computer and more after hurting my foot over a year ago.

I do not have a regular exercise program. I went to the local gym that has a pool and there were creepy old men hanging out staring. I went four times at four different days/times and it was the same. No thanks. Pools are scarce here.

I went to Weight Watchers but found them focusing on emotional eating and use of diet foods. The group thing is not for me either.

Too much walking hurts my injured foot. I also have Fibromyalgia which causes fatigue and muscle pain. Too much muscle use causes flare ups. I am not supposed to lift weights. Too much gardening causes flare ups for days. I do it anyway though.

Now that we know my diet history, any thoughts are welcome.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 11:34:13 AM »
I suppose that people will consider me pretty radical, but my "beliefs" about what people should eat are based on science. There are so many nutritional myths out there now- how can people know what to eat?
Myths:
1. Eat a low fat diet- low fat dairy, etc.
2. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables
3. Use vegetable oils and avoid butter
4. Saturated fat is bad
5. Eat plenty of whole grains
6. Red meat is bad for you
7. Take Calcium to prevent Osteoporosis

NONE of those things are true (except the part about vegetables, maybe). The Framingham study showed that the men who ate the most saturated fat had the fewest coronary events (heart attack, stroke). The nurses study showed that post-menopausal women who at the most saturated fat also had the fewest coronary events AND that saturated fat is protective.
The only vitamin that humans can't get from meat is vitamin C.

Most diseases are sugar or grain metabolism diseases. Diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, most cancers, MS, PCOS, Crohn's, Celiac, Dental caries, Periodontal disease, Osteoporosis.

That's because processed grains are not food. They are edible, but they are not food.
"Whole" grains are no bargain, either. The fiber damages the digestive tract, the proteins are exorphic, and the carbohydrates are all broken down to sugar. There is no human requirement for sugar; there are no carbohydrate deficiency diseases.

LeeAnne,
Here are some things that might be giving you a problem:
pasta twice a month
potatoes several times a week (5 teaspoons of sugar in a medium potato)
whole grain bread, (baked) crackers, croutons, rolls (think mostly sugar with not much fiber, nutritionally void)
It not a bad thing to go without food if you are not hungry. That myth was busted recently when research showed that rats and humans lived longer using Calorie Restriction. When Intermittent Fasting was used- the rats and humans lived even longer than the CR subjects.

Karen

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 04:08:10 PM »
Two thoughts, I don't think the problem of weight control is based so much on what you eat but how much you eat. If you control the amount, and using all your information that you know helps YOU lose weight, you've got it made. I know that when I eat red meat, it takes longer for me to lose than when I have chicken or fish.

As for the tasteless no fat stuff out there, they can have it. I would rather have a tiny bit of something that tastes good than a half a cup of stuff that doesn't. But some of the stuff can be mixed to make your own good tasting, lowcal stuff, like mixing a container of full fat dressing with a container of no fat dressing of the same flavor. You said you didn't like the sugar replacements. I put half sugar and half Splenda in my sugar cannister and mix it up. You can do that with brown sugar too.  I bake with it and use it for anything that needs sugar. DH hasn't noticed the difference. As for butter, I love the flavor of butter but seeing I'm trying to cut calories and especially fat calories, I use liquid butter replacement on my vegetables or wherever I'd like butter. Sometimes I even use it on rolls or bread but it's runny. This is called Smart Squeeze. It has a lot of salt but I like it and besides the vegetables need salt anyway. Have you tried Butter Buds? It is a butter flavored powder. You add hot water to it if you want a liquid. Or you can sprinkle the powder in/on batter for muffins, waffles, pancakes, cakes, rice, pasta, etc. or wherever you would like a buttery flavor.

Jays has buttery flavored bite sized pretzels that I like. Watch out for the salt on them. OH AND ALMONDS--------I love something with a crunch and I snack on raw almonds. They crunch and take a while to chew and make me thirsty so I drink a lot of water with them. And I love almond flavor.

I think that each person has to decide what they're willing to give up or what they'll be satisfied with in the way of eating or weight loss. Each person needs to decide that they need to lose weight for themselves, rather than to please their spouse or because somebody is getting married or because somebody at a weight loss company has decreed what you should weigh or how much you should lose a week. I've tried a lot of diets over the years for a lot of different reasons. I've done the pill thing too. But for me, this seems to be the best experience I've had losing weight in 64 years. I actually have hope to reach a somewhat normal weight some day. I have never felt that way before. At this point, I am probably at least half way there. This journey is a change  in lifestyle for the rest of my life, rather than a way to eat to lose weight. The idea is that I don't say, "Well, I've reached my goal so don't have to eat that way any more."

For those of you who are young. Please read this thread and take it to heart. Sure I can lose the weight but my skin will NEVER get back to where is was before I became fat. You can lotion and grease it all you want but --------well anyway, you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 04:13:13 PM by Esther »

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 05:01:11 PM »
"my skin will NEVER get back to where is was before I became fat"

I totally agree with that. I lost 30% of my body weight and my skin will never be the same. Granted, we're all a lot older now and our skin has lost much of it's elasticity. Things could be worse.

I don't agree on the "calorie is a calorie, energy in- energy out" theory. 1,000 calories of starch and sugar does not react the same in your body as 1,000 calories of broccoli. Insulin is a lot more powerful, and does a lot more jobs in the body than shuffling sugar. Keeping it in tight control is the single most important thing anyone can do.
Karen

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 05:18:07 PM »
OK,

EagleEye's diet::::::::::::::::::::

1-Drink diet coke with my rum
2-Drink diet sour with my whiskey
3-Snack less
4-Eat smaller lunches

Steve

My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 08:58:53 AM »
LOL Eagle Eye, even Rum, my then favorite booze could not mask the taste of diet colas when all my friends were drinking rum and diet Pepsi in the '80s.

The less I eat, the more I weigh. I have found that by eating breakfast (mostly drinking a Slim Fast) and snacking on heathly snacks and eating less dinner I am losing weight.

One only has to see the ghastly photo Jerry posted of me taking pictures at the Portland Pond Partay to know that losing weight is necessary for my health. I was horrified when I saw that picture.

The good news is that I bought three pairs of pants yesterday and they were a full size smaller than what I was wearing then. I hope. I hope it wasn't just because they were a different brand.

I don't bake and I use butter less than once a week so I do use the real thing when I do. Bob puts margarine on everything but I don't. I like most of my veggies with just some salt. I have not tried many of the butter substitutes because I don't think my butter consumption is a real problem.

I think sugars and starches are. I was just informed by a doctor that my fasting blood sugar, while in the normal range was on the high side and getting higher based on looking over the last several years tests. He said that could lead to adult onset Diabetes.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 10:21:24 AM »
The first key to losing weight comes when the motivation to loose weight outweighs the motivation to eat too much.   All of the hundreds of diet plans will work when coupled with motivation outweighing the desire to eat too much.  The second key is keeping the weight off and this is where most failures occur.  I have succeeded with the first key many times however, I have failed to keep the weight off once I lost it. 

You'll have to choose what works for you but here's some things that worked for me for loosing the weight......once my motivation outweighed my overeating habits......

Learn to make friends with hunger.  Don't even consider eating anything until that bell goes off in your tummy, i.e., growling sounds.  A growling tummy is a good thing and it's the signal telling you to feed yourself.

When preparing a meal start drinking water.  It will take a while for that bell to quit ringing so you want to start getting a full sensation.

Eat whatever you darn well please but obviously keep nutrition in mind.

We eat much more than we need.  Cut your meal in half.  Cut burgers in half etc.  You don't need the whole thing.

Eat SLOWLY.  Again, we want that bell to stop ringing and it takes a while for the message to get from your tummy to your brain.  Put the darn fork down between bites. 

Quit eating the moment the tummy bell quits sounding.

If you eat out, don't eat at buffets because you will want to "get your monies worth".  Eat at regular restaurants and remember to cut your meal in half, even more if you want dessert.  Take the second half home with you in a box for another meal.

Make exercise your friend.  Losing weight with dieting alone will be slow.  Exercise a minimum of 4x a week for a minimum of one hour each exercise period.  More is better.   Get someone to exercise with you so that on those days you don't want to exercise you will have someone to encourage you.  Even an Internet buddy who can hold you accountable is good but you must be honest with her/him.  Work some exercise into you daily work schedule.  For example, don't look for parking spaces close to your target but rather locations that make you walk further.  Take stairs, not elevators etc.

Ignore the scale.  Let your clothes tell you.

I wish I had suggestions with the second key, keeping the weight off as that is where I fail.  Once I loose the weight I get lazy and fall back into my old routines.....  My weight is like an elevator ride..... (8:-)  and right now the elevator is going down........ :D
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 06:17:59 PM »
I agree with most of what Mikey said. All except the ignore the scale.  I have made it a habit to get on the scale every day now. I found that if I didn't and waited for the clothes to tell me the difference, there'd be too much difference by that time. So if I watch it real close, I'm on it the minute it gets out of hand.

I don't know about men but women have horrid fluctuations due to water retension that can drive us absolutely bonkers. It still happens to me and I'm past when I thought it would matter. But when I see the scale skyrocket and know that I haven't over indulged, then I know it is fluid and just hang in there and sure enough it goes away the next day or so.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 08:56:01 AM »
I have been practicing eating less at dinner. Also at restaurants. I left almost half of a cobb salad the other day that I used to eat the whole thing. I've been gradually leaving more and more. I eat the same salad with a freind for lunch often.

I do only eat when my stomach is growling, unfortunately, it growls a lot.

I am going to a health club today to talk about swimming. I went to one several months ago but there were creepy men hanging out in the spa staring at the pool. I went several times and they were always there. They also had aerobics in the pool much of the day and I can't do that yet. I did not know this other club had a pool. They didn't have one last time I asked. I think it is going to be too expensive though, based on their website.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 09:37:39 AM »
...there were creepy men hanging out in the spa staring at the pool.
I understand this is a common problem at many health clubs.  I believe I read where a group of Muslim women have brought suit against a health club because they want time set aside where they can have a workout without any men being present.  I think when they signed up the club may have had times/days when only women could attend and the club may have since changed that policy.

While at a dinner party last week I was talking to an attractive 22 year old daughter of a friend and she was all excited about joining a health club, LA Fitness.  She said she has a personal trainer and then she asked me if it was normal for the trainer to put his hand under her shirt. :no:  {nono} She said the trainer had her put her hand under his shirt also so she could notice the difference in muscle tone ::)  After the "training" session he also asked her some personal questions about anyone she may be dating and so on...........

We then explained to her that both the hand up her shirt as well as the personal questions were inappropriate and his behavior should be reported to management.  She then said he was one of the managers.........  We then told her to report the behavior to corporate officials and find a new health club.....  Her dad is about 6'5" and 290 lbs and I then nodded towards him at the other side of the table and said, "Or you could have your dad have a nice little chat with this trainer."
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 01:17:58 PM »
Oh mercy Mikey. Doesn't that make you sad that the little gal had to ask what was appropriate and what wasn't? GRRR. She must never had that conversation with her mommy.

And LeeAnne, it sounds like you are on the right track. Don't try to lose it all at once. Just hang in there and make these new behaviours a lifestyle and the next thing you know, nothing will fit. Hello, Salvation Army and Goodwill. I just spent about $60 and got about 13 pieces of clothing including an all weather coat with a zip out lining and a Pendleton jacket.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 09:00:03 AM »
I went to two clubs yesterday, 24 hour fitness and Bally total fitness. There were creepy old men at the 24 hour fitness. The Bally location had a nicer dressing room, women's only sauna and steam room and a much nicer looking pool with skylights instead of being in a dungeon like the 24 fitness and Cascade Athletic club that I visited prior. There was one young man in the spa but he was not creepy. Unfortunately, Bally's is more expensive than the other two but I can't see myself going to the other two even though I do have a free pass to try it.

I'm going to call the high school and see if they have any public hours on their pool. They used to, when I was a kid, I remember going there.

None of these clubs has women's only time in the pools. Bally's had regular people and was a brighter newer facility overall. 24 hour Fitness had very loud rap music and a lot of young body builders.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"