Author Topic: Instant Lily Pond! The Capped Look!  (Read 8660 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Instant Lily Pond! The Capped Look!
« on: July 13, 2008, 06:30:29 PM »
Where have I been?!?   @O@  I dug me a new pond!!

Here's my story.  My husband had to go to HK for 2 weeks.  This was my chance to do my project - build my lily pond.  I do my best projects when he's out of town.  With all the knowledge and instructions I learned here at APU, actual experience from the first (now known as the "koi pond") pond, and much thought and planning, I did it!!  @O@

Not finished yet but here goes....My plans for a lily pond in the remote dirt area of my backyard started about 2 years ago.  We broke ground on Saturday, June 28.

My DS and DD helped start the dig.  I figured that since my DS was lifting big heavy weights at the gym this would be so easy for him.  It was but he could only help me on the first Saturday.  He got the depth I wanted at 32" and about a 2' x5 width of dirt out.  I dug the rest over the next 2 days, about 4 hours each day, early morning and cleaned area in the evening before the sun set.  Note: Not having the correct tools makes it more difficult.  Anyhow the pond hole is approximately 8' x 5' to 4' x 32" and sits against a short retaining wall.  I added above ground height with 3 stacks of pressure treated lumber 4x4's around 3 sides and tied them into the back retaining wall. So the water level will be approximately 36" to 40" deep.  I also have the bottom graded about 1":1' towards the centerline for easy cleaning.

I was going to go dumpster diving for carpet remnants to line the dirt but after all the digging , etc. I decided to buy 3 indoor/outdoor carpet from Costco when I went grocery shopping.  Inexpensive 9'x9' carpet for $14.  I cut it to shape in areas to cover the whole opening and the sides of the 4x4's and over the back-drop waterfall.

I bought a pre-cut 15'x15' Firestone rubber liner (.45 mil EPDM) from Laguna Koi Ponds for the price of a 13'x15' that I purposely over-calculated.  Now I know why the sales guy gave me a discounted price fro precut!  That sucker weighed a ton!!!  Ask my doctor, she told me I am in no shape to carry a 15'x15' rubber liner.  Downer...inflamed nerve in my back causing radiating pain to my arms.  Solution: stop heavy work.  More delays on the finished work.

Well I got the liner in the hole and did the folds and all before filling it with water to about 30" on the following Saturday, July 5th.  Can't do any of the finishing touches and waterfall stone until I rest my back.  I'm no spring chicken!!

Ok!  Here are the mechanical details you all were waiting for patiently.  Presently I have a Laguna PowerJet 2000 pump with a Pondmaster prefilter pumping into a Matala BioSteps 10 biological filtration box which will return on a rock slab waterfall (nowhere near as nice as Carlos').  With my back out of commission I have the water dumping straight back into the pond through a 1-1/2" pipe.  Later I will be attaching a floating skimmer with another pump of the same and a smaller bio-filtration.  The return of this water will circulate most of the water down under.

My lilies are in their not-yet-finished-pond and learning to stretch their pads up to the water level.  They have grown about 6" taller since I placed them in the pond.  The Lily Pond.  o(:-)  The water level will stay at 30" until I get waterfall finished, because I will be standing in the water to lay the stone and particulars. 

I almost forgot.  I put the Shubs and wakins I had in the "Koi Pond" into the lily pond where they have a better chance at getting fed.

I also corrupted my hard drive too!!  >:( >:( >:(  SSo I've been messing with my poor laptop the past few evenings.  Photos to come when I get the info off my old hard drive to this new one to get my drivers and programs in place.

That's where I've been for the past almost 3 weeks  :D

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 12:36:21 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Instant Pond!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 07:07:13 PM »
Congratulations on getting the lily pond off to a good start

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 07:23:07 PM »
WOW! That's a lot of work but what a cool thing to have a dedicated lily (and small fish) pond.   Let that back heal, they get fussy with age you know.

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 04:53:27 PM »

Well I got the liner in the hole and did the folds and all before filling it with water to about 30" on the following Saturday, July 5th.  Can't do any of the finishing touches and waterfall stone until I rest my back.  I'm no spring chicken!!

lol I'm not a spring chicken either.
Pond building is so much work.  Good job going at it full steam ahead.  I can't wait to see pictures.  What did your husband say? 
Alfonso

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 06:54:52 PM »
Congratulations on the new dig.  Looking forward to seeing photos.  What did you do with all the dirt?
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 10:00:38 PM »
I'm going slowly with the work and trying not to over do anything.  Had to weed the yard tonight before the association gets on my back.

I'm hoping to get pictures up within the next 2 days when I pray my laptop will be up and running normally.  Just don't have time to get overly involved with computer if the help is just around the corner.  Sorry!  Don't you hate it when there are no photos!?!  :P

My husband was pleasantly surprised I did so much work while he was away.  The pond is only one of my projects I worked on.  Since I didn't get to finish the whole pond facing I had to do lots of explaining.  But he likes my idea!  He's proud of lil' ol' me.  o(:-)

The excavated dirt is sitting pretty in a large pile right next to the pond.  But when I get the chance the lovely clay and sand dirt will go to the front yard.  Maybe there is another project out front too.  ::)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: Instant Pond! Photos added, finally!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 10:15:17 AM »
Photos!!  @O@

1 - This was the view we had of this section of the backyard.  Originally years ago this was the putting green for DH.  But it got "old" and I thought it was a waste of space and used it as a compost free for all when I did some plant trimming around the yard.

2 - The "Hole"

3 - See the dirt pile I will have to move and spread around the yard.  Most of it will go to front yard to mix in with some of the dirt that is too rich with compost. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 11:14:25 AM by miguynmkoi »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 10:50:18 AM »
Yay!   @O@ This computer stuff is taking so much of my time.  Reinstalling all the old programs I'm used to is a pain in the neck!

Ok back to business.  After digging the hole with 3 kinds of shovels I've collect over the years I only wish I could have had one of those mini bull dozers.  While digging I kept on thinking about some comments I have read on AP.  "Make your pond as big as you can so you will never have to wish you could have made it bigger."  Whoever said that didn't dig their pond with a toothpick of a shovel!  I kept trying to say enough depth as I dug but kept thinking "deeper to keep as many intruders out of the pond."  It's amazing how much I value AP members opinions!

Anyhow....To put the pressure treated wood together I only had my trusty battery operated drill and circular saw.  BUZZER!!!  Bad equipment makes drilling into very hard wood extremely difficult!  Bad eyes when purchasing drill bit for 1/2" rebars even worst.  I meant to get a 5/8" drill bit but grabbed a 1/2" bit!  Needless to say I had a rugged time drilling the hole, even more #$%$# time pounding the rebar through the hole with a regular hammer - my heaviest hammer, by my standard  :D.  I even tried to widen the hole by shaving it with the same bit.  After doing 6 rebars like this I got the bright idea I needed to go up one size on the bit.  I was going to bring the 1st bit with me to the store when I saw the problem I was having.  I bought a 1/2" drill bit    for my 1/2" rebar.

Got a 5/8" awesome looking drill bit that couldn't fit my drill ($@^ >:(-#!%#$)  Borrowed an even more awesome "electric" drill from neighbor and went to town!

Logs in place, definitely not moving anywhere with all the sweat that went into keeping them in place.  I was real happy to get the liner in place.  Tucked and folded all the corners.  Made sure it draped over the sides for just in case reasons.  Making folds around the waterfall area was a little tricky but doable.  Will have to wait for my back to heal before placing stone on water fall to keep it in place.  Right now I have a few left over limestone tiles from deck project sitting on the area to emphasize the waterfall (for DH to envision  ;) ).

Pond got filled with water to about 70% of capacity and I have the pump circulating the water.  About 75% of this water is new water and the other 25% is water from the Koi pond.

I put a few milk crates into the pond to acclimate my lilies to the new depth.  A few days later I moved them on the bottom of the pond.  At first I worried about the pads being under water by a few inches but after a few days most of the pads stretched and grew to the top of the waterline.  It may be a while before I get to see flowers blooming again.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 11:11:32 AM »
As soon as the water filled the pond my DD kept on hounding me about catching all the non Koi out of the now named Koi Pond.  When the Lily Pond water sat for only for only 5 days I finally caved in and let her create havoc in the Koi Pond trying to catch the Shubunkins and Walkins. 
The Walkins were easy to catch, they're very tame (or stupid)  o(.  The friendlier and larger shubs were easy but the small and darker color shubs were very elusive.  Yes the plants in the Koi Pond were flipped and turned better than a raccoon could by my darling darling daughter  >:(-
Only one shub is still in the Koi Pond after 3 days of trying to catch it.  And it will stay there.  I can't have my plants destroyed for one lil' fish.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 11:13:49 AM »
All in all there are 13 shubs and 4 walkins.  They're very happy in their own pond not having to compete with the koi for food.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: Instant Pond! Photos added, finally !
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 11:24:36 AM »
DD and I went back to Eastern Nishikigoi to see if there were any fishies who wanted to come home with us but they were out of all kinds of shubs and walkins or fancies.  :'(    Saddened we went to a local pet shop specializing in aquarium inhabitants and we found 2 beautiful Ryukins!  Thank you AP fancies owners/posters!  Of course DD had to have them (since I paid for them eagerly I guess I'm just as guilty for allowing it but don't tell DH  ::) ).

After only 5 days in quarantine an excited DD added Roly and Poly to the Lily Pond.  Now we spend more time by the Lily Pond than the old pond.  ;)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 11:33:59 AM »
Forgot to say the biggest mission for digging a new pond was to get rid of the kiddie pools on the concrete area so we could have more area to entertain.  Well I'm down to 1 kiddie pool from 2. And I will try to make a bog like filter on the side for the remaining plants which I will have to majorly divide!

I have a spiked bio-filter in place now but the water I had just flowing into the pond from the pipe was very noisy (don't want to make the neighbor feel like she needs to go to the bathroom while she's in her backyard!)  So I stuck an elbow and a spare length of pipe to the end letting the water flow under the surface.  Temporary until I get the waterfall going, eh.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 01:19:06 PM »
 8-)~  Nice dig...can't wait to see waterfall and the bog.

Congratulations on a job well done.  o(:-)

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 01:25:50 PM »
What a great job on the pond. Can't wait to see it finished. And you have such cool fish to put in it already.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 03:27:13 PM »
Great job Annette.  No wonder you are so sore.  Thanks for sharing construction photos.  Any racoons visiting that pond better like to swim....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 09:28:18 PM »
beautiful!  you did an incredible job and I agree it is no wonder you are sore.  take a well deserved break but keep posting pics.  the new fish are really cute, and the names sure fit. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 10:05:03 PM »
Thanks everyone!   ;)

Today I waded in the pond to rearrange the lilies as some are growing stronger and crowding the weaker ones.  Had to stop after only a few minutes to get long pants and socks on.  The fish weird me out with all the nibbling.  I also measured the waterfall space for stone I hope to check out tomorrow.  Also have the dimension for the sides and top of the pond surround.  Note to self:  Look only!  Can't do more than that.  If DH comes home from work and sees me in traction I'll never hear the end of it.... ::)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: Instant Lily Pond! Photos added, finally !
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 10:09:14 AM »
Ok I've been corrected - LILY POND!  in the subject.  O0

Have you ever gone to the stone store (proper name?) and saw so many beautiful stone you forget what you're suppose to look at?  Happened to me yesterday when I went to check out stones for price and size.  Very undecided after that trip.  But after sitting in the yard last night I think I know what I need.  Now have to wait for someone to help me carry some stone  {:-P;;

Getting there... very slowly... o(

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 10:16:25 AM »
Yeah, love seeing other new ponds just for lilies & goldfish  O0 O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 11:57:37 AM »
Love it!!!  Lilyponds are great... and addicting :)
Joey

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 06:02:56 PM »
Well seeing Joey build a pond so easily and then stock it with such healthy growing lilies prompted the urgency for having one of my own  ;)

Kat has been supplying me with so many beautiful lilies  o(:-) that I am so ashamed of myself for growing them in little kiddie pools.  Then worst I let the local raccoons play amongst the plants, killing many of the lilies.  >:( :(

Thanks for the gentle nudge!  Oh and thanks to DD for pushing my wish.  ::)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 08:51:55 AM »
Oh Annette, you did a fabulous job...I love it. O0  Next year DH wants to redo our little upper pond with stone like that, right now it is about 18" deep and ground level, I now have one to show him  our retaining wall near the main koi pond is done in this type of stone so it will blend very nice, and we can make it deeper too.  Thanks for the post and the great ideas....the milk crates work nice for hiding and holding lilies.   Can't wait to show him the pictures.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 12:36:41 PM »
Thank you Marla! 

Wow!  It's a real compliment when someone wants to follow my design!!  Just don't OD like I did and strain your back.  I thought I was able to handle it all, at least on paper it was easy!  :o 

I probably won't be able to start the facing, cap and waterfall for another week or so.  Takes longer to heal when you're half a century old!  :P

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 02:24:21 PM »
Annette, I know the bad back all to well....I have had one for way to long, old fractures and missing discs...my only option surgery, for both my lower back and neck and I don't want to do that.  This spring I did a number on my back, hasn't been that bad in 4 years,  ended up with some cortosteroid shots, now it feels great I just have to watch it a bit more careful.  This is a picture of the little pond we need to redo (it's on the level behind the bench)  I would like to set it back as the walk way between the pond and the existing wall is very narrow.  There is room for it to go closer to the deck.  If I have my way it will have a taller wall to make it deeper and be longer.  Right now it serves as a simple veggie filter for the main pond, but also we put babies in it for added fun.
Take it easy and finish slowly if you have to.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 06:27:18 PM by marla »
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2008, 09:53:13 PM »
Hey Marla, that is a beautiful view I see!  Love the bench by the handsome ( {:-P;;) retaining wall.  I see you must have netting over...the pond?

Yeah I'm taking it slowly, nothing serious but I am out of shape and must learn to stretch like others say.  I think this next week I will attempt to start the stone facing, etc.  If the weather doesn't get too hot..... :P

Believe me when I started this pond I tried to make it as I planned for this space.  There's no going back or starting another....all out of room!  :(

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 06:58:50 PM »
You done an outstanding job.  Its beautiful, your goldies will be very happy there.  Keep them pics coming.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 07:51:51 PM »
Thank you Kim! 

Tomorrow I will go to the local stone yard to find me a few pieces of flat rock for the waterfall.  I've already checked out the different types of stone they carry and I see one I like.  Hopefully there is one in my dimension!  O0

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 05:01:10 PM »
Gosh Annette - don't know how I missed this thread. I always enjoy reading your stories so.

Somehow you make a bad back sound like "well, not so bad". Gorgeous looking lily pond there too, by the way. Who would have thought that several weeks of intense labour and driven inspiration would result in such a creation.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 05:47:24 PM »
Thanks Mike!   ;)

I was going to go to the building materials yard to buy some flat stone for the waterfall today but chickened out after the earthquake!  I know what I want but usually I can't help myself and have to check out all the wooden crates of stones.  :D  They say there will be more aftershocks. :o 

Don't want to make front page news - "Ponder looking for the perfect stone gets stoned at Valley Building Materials!"  :P

Will try tomorrow.  O0

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 12:00:50 PM »
So far so good!!  Lily pond doing it's stuff.  Water is clearing up!  O0 Thank you beneficial bacterias! 
Lilies, Rhonda Kay to be specific, VERY happy!  @O@ 
Fishies VERY happy and getting fatter!!  :o

Going to pick me up some stone for the waterfall!!!  @O@

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"