Author Topic: Instant Lily Pond! The Capped Look!  (Read 8658 times)

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Instant Lily Pond! Photos added, finally !
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2008, 09:43:26 PM »
Nice.  O0  I like it when things come together.  Good job!
Alfonso

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2008, 10:47:29 PM »
Thank you Alfonso!

The jooy of a new lily pond...can't say that enough for now  ;D  Lilies are looking great!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 11:03:20 PM »
Got my first collection of rocks!!!  @O@

Decided to go with the thinner slate, Rocky Mountain Flagstone - Gold.  Seems to have more silver flakes...lots of sparkle, I like!  Looks great wet, just need to keep the algae from growing on it!  :D  There's about 73 lbs of heavy stuff for $16.70. (Cash Register sound added to the cost of a Lily Pond!)

My first batch took a long time to choose.  needed to cover the waterfall area.  I wanted thicker stone but the weight for a small piece was HEAVY!!

Just did a temporary set up for the waterfall until I decide how to build a more relaxed fall.  It's pretty loud in this setup.  I want a quieter fall.  Home Depot tomorrow for parts.

Fishies love the falls.  Water level up another 6" to see if that would buffer the waterfalls.  A little I guess.  O0

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »
I think this is the fun part!  The backbreaking stuff is pretty much over, that's as long as you didn't have to load and unload all that rock???

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2008, 04:21:51 AM »
Very nice Annette, yes do go slowly, and keep the pix a comming.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2008, 02:44:08 PM »
Kat just added to my addiction!!!  :woot:

Got the lily package late yesterday and only had time to sink them in water.  Why doesn't USPS ring the doorbell?  I was home all day!!!!  >:(-

This morning I had the pleasure of potting up Miami Rose, Ostara, Pink Flamingo, Colorado, and the 2 starts of Hoku Kea.  Pond is really full now!  @O@  Kat's care of the lilies kept them growing even in my pond.  Honestly did not see this new bud rising so fast!  The Colorado is extra large but the pads are short and under water now.  Got to pick Kat's head for how much fertilizer she uses and what kind.

Probably spent too much time arranging and rearranging the pots.  But it is a beautiful day and my DD is studying by the pond with me  o(:-)

The extra amount of water I added to the pond yesterday got the fishies very frisky this morning too.  Still trying to figure out which of the shubs are females or males.

Best of all -  @O@ DH loves the waterfalls even though I told him it was a temporary set-up until I get a few more rocks.  That may take a a few more days to get to.

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2008, 09:55:58 PM »
Gorgeous! 

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2008, 04:58:50 AM »
Coming along nicely!  Glad to "help" you out with the lilies  :)  If it wasn't for all of my customers I wouldn't be able to offer new lilies every year.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Rick40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2008, 08:07:53 AM »
Very nice Annette. I can't wait to see more pics of your pond as it progresses. I agree take it slowly.

Rick

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2008, 03:42:30 PM »
im wordless, the only thing i can say is gourgeous!!! 8-)~
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2008, 10:19:56 PM »
Thank you, you're all too kind.   8)
I finally found a floating filter which I can move around the pond to collect the dang juniper tree droppings of dried leaves.  Everyday I've been using a small net with a long handle to collect all the dried leaves floating in the water and on the lily pads.  What a pain!  So I'm hoping this new product will help. 

It's been hot (IMO) and humid and been spending way too much time sitting in front of the pond to get any productive work done.  Got construction adhesive and chicken wire for the pond wall exterior for the stone I still haven't purchased  :P

This little guy worked harder today than I did all week...and he ate the whole time.  Ladybug welcomed to all the bugs on the lily pads, anytime!

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2008, 07:50:57 AM »
awww lady bug crawling in the biggo paddy haha
that is just so cool i rather have a lady bug but no, i have a spider can you believe that?, miguynmkoi your lily pond is awesome and i   think how you other pond looks like i know it is huge and awesome too, love your lilies

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2008, 10:16:08 AM »
Thanks Howell!  Been on vacation so no progress for the last 2 weeks.  Missed my ponds a whole lot though.  Well back to work soon!

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2008, 08:58:58 PM »
Annette, wow the lilies are beautiful!!!!  The fish look happy also.  Easy to tell goldfish/shubunkin breeding aged males.....look for little white tubercles on their gill plates, and the edges of their dorsal and pectoral fins.  Sometimes it will look as if the fish has ich in those spots.  Females do not have the breeding tubercles
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2008, 09:38:02 AM »
OHHHH love the blue.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2008, 01:15:50 PM »
I found lots of Shubbie babies!!!  I was clearing out the parrot's feather and anacharis and low and behold....babies of all sizes.  From insy-binsy to about 3/4" mostly white/pink with black eyes.  So these babes were all conceived and born since the 4th of July and beyond!

Wish I had photos.  But they are so cute.  At least 3 dozen!  I already told DD that the ones I don't want will go to the turtles!  :o  The circle of life...as it is.  {:-P;;

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: Instant Lily Pond! New Life!
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2008, 01:17:40 PM »
BTW Emo is the mom of all the babes.  God only know who the dad is.  Could be Yemo or any of the other shubs.  ;)

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2008, 05:47:29 PM »
im so glad emo didnt kill herself by having so many babies  lol

Offline kaz

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2008, 04:19:15 PM »
Well done Annette... it's looking lovely :).  Trouble is... when I see project photos such as yours, it makes me want to get started on something new myself ::).  Inspiration I think they call it!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2008, 09:15:13 AM »
Hey Kaz!  How are things across the pond!  Long time no see!  Thanks!  How's your fabulous lake, er, pond?

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2008, 09:30:40 AM »
Wow...I wish I had electricity out to my pond area.  Then I could have neat things like waterfalls and skippys too.  Looks great Annette! 
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2008, 10:12:46 AM »
Thanks Greenthumbnails!

Here's a shot of my new floating skimmer.  I have a row of juniper trees along the lily pond that shed a whole lot.  I knew this from the beginning but had no choice but to live with it (or no pond!).  Unfortunately the needles (orange) fall on the pads.  I spray or splash them off and hope they make it to the slimmer between the pads.  Still alot of work.

I can move the skimmer around to the "hot spots" to clear up the floating needles.  I have a make-shift guard rail, made from a strawberry basket, to put on the front of the inlet so that my new little Ranchus and Ryunkins keep "floating" into the skimmer.  I even found a tiny baby shub in it!  Also catching cut up pads from the darn China Mark Moth Caterpillars  >:(-

Oh the pleasures of ponding!  o(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2008, 09:06:45 AM »
In the photo above you can see tattered pads...I just found out I have China Mark Moth Caterpillars chewing up my pads  >:(-  Got some good advice from this thread http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=7199.msg74527#new

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: Instant Lily Pond! The capped look!
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2008, 12:24:25 PM »
OK!  Sorry for not updating on lily pond project.  I've been very busy doing non ponding projects that have taken me away from my passion of gardening and ponding. 
DH has an annual evening get together with his classical guitar buddies and I had to do some rearranging in the backyard for the gathering.  I did finish capping the new pond but the sides are not finished.  Just for the party I did place a few left over slate tiles from the front entrance project up against the 12" high 4x4 beam wall, in the front only.  Not really the look I was going for but it will do temporarily.  I will be using slate pieces for the entire wall later.....

After securing the stone caps I filled the water up to 2" from the top of the 4x4s.  The waterfall rocks were re-stacked to accommodate the elephant ear planter section which are now sitting in a cavity of the excess rubber liner.  Still need to find a planter box to fit in the area so that I can plant the elephant ears in it and create a smooth transition for the water return from the filter into the planter and cascade over the waterfall rocks.  Did that make any sense?  :D

I had to get rid of the last kiddie pool of plants by potting the plants in water containers around the pond.  These plants also get their own auto watering tube.  Trying to make life simpler.  8)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 12:34:59 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: Instant Lily Pond! The capped look!
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2008, 12:33:07 PM »
Forgot to mention the dirt pile for those interested.... Half of it is gone!  @O@  With alot of buckets and my trusty red wagon I was able to move half of the dirt to places around the garden that needed more fill and didn't mind dry clumpy/powdery clay. 

My back is so sore from all the moving and shaking I'm going to have to take a break, for a long while.

Two of the barrel containers were moved into the area where half the pond dirt was removed  Now I have Adirondack chairs set up in front of the pond for enjoying the lilies and puppies!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 12:35:22 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Instant Lily Pond! The Capped Look!
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2008, 04:48:12 PM »
Oh Annette, that's lovely.  I really like the waterfall, simple and beautiful.  The Elephant Ear section is going to look really nice when it fills in, I like that variegated one a lot.  You've really done a lot of work and deserve a chair and a glass of wine to enjoy it. 

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2008, 04:59:11 PM »
I JUST LOVE PONDING AND ALL YOU FOLKS WHO LOVE IT WITH ME !!!!!!! @O@ @O@ @O@ @O@ beautiful pics..... lorraine
lorraine

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2008, 11:19:25 PM »
Annette - congrats on a very nice pond!
I love the slate, by the way. You ought to keep it. :)

Offline kamala

• Members
  • With us since: 26/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2008, 09:21:27 AM »
WOW!  It looks fabulous.  I, too, like the slate, it gives it a polished look.  Great Job.  Relax and enjoy.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2008, 01:41:42 PM »
Thanks Everyone!  It's always nice to have friends here give me a boost!   @O@  Family, friends and I are enjoying the new pond and spend an enormous amount time putsing around it.

You've really done a lot of work and deserve a chair and a glass of wine to enjoy it. 
Jonna, been there done that, many times!  One of the ideas for covering the sides of the pond was to line all the wine bottles we've had all summer along the wall!  :o Yeah, unfortunately we can do the wall justice with just bottles!  ;D  All the elephant ears are from trades and Kat's lily purchases.  They have so many runners now too. 

Lorraine, my DH thinks I have gone to pond heaven with all the attention I give to all aspects of ponding.  :P

Savannah and Kamala, I would keep the tiles but I already have stacked stone waiting for me to put them up.  ;)  Besides I don't have enough leftover tile to do a complete job of the front side in slate, let alone the sides.  Probably would be easier but what would I do with all the free time I have to find to lay rocks?!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"