Author Topic: Brown Water - Can Someone Explain This Phenomenom?  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Brown Water - Can Someone Explain This Phenomenom?
« on: July 14, 2008, 11:58:41 AM »
In another thread, someone said that brown water is a whole 'nother story from green water.  Green is healthy, brown is bad.

Well, my pond has been darkening for months.  I was told that brown or tan is only "stain" from leaves, etc., so I haven't been worrying about it.  But it's darker than ever today, and getting cloudy, too.

Yesterday, I took the manufacturer's foam out of my Tetra bio filter and put in the media I got from KrewKut.  I like the look of the KrewKut stuff much better, because it seems the correct density for capturing muck, which the original Tetra stuff seemed way too dense.

But today my pond is worse looking than before.

Can anyone give a primer on brown water??

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Brown Water - Can Someone Explain This Phenomenom?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 12:28:52 PM »
Ummm... that would have been me.
Have you got a microscope?
If you have stained water, it stays clear, and when you look at it, it looks like tea. There isn't a particularly organic component to it. Its clear, just a darker color.
Mostly that would be tannins - which change the Ph slowly, but most fish will adjust and its not a problem.

If you have murky/cloud/ un-clear water its either turbid or muddy. A microscope will help you see the difference.
Muddy water has suspended clay. Clay is a colloid (like jello - only thinner). The clay makes the water dark and you can't see through it. Koi ooze slime on their gills, which has the effect of protecting them from clay. They LOVE muddy water.

If you have turbid water - you have suspended particles in the water. This is very apparent under the microscope. Normally its bits of poop, dead algae, bits of leaves and other plant material that have made it through the pumps and filters. These are all dead and decomposing materials. The fish will also slough this off of their gills - but it encourages pathogenic bacteria, which consume the decaying material.
So its bad. The bacteria will also attack the koi, particularly if they have little cuts, bits or other normal inflictions of a great life. :)

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 06:18:48 PM »
Most likely something leaching in from the side? Beauty bark or dirt run off? Check all around your sides good for run off!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 06:30:07 PM »
Clean your Krewcut filter when it looks gunky. I use the hose attachment sprayer thingy and first rinse one side and then spray down the other side. Sometimes I even spray it twice. If I'm trying to get gunk out of the pond quickly, I also put the filter media in a curved mesh basket and set two baskets in the drops of the waterfall. When it comes to tanins from oak leaves or runoff, haven't I heard to use charcoal? I have a problem in the fall when the oak leaves from up the road blow into my pond. But then I do a coulple of water changes and eventually it goes away as I keep the leaves out of the pond. Tanins come from leaves, or decaying plant matter. You haven't used some purchased garden soil that is made up of things like cow manure or pete moss have you? They will cause a mess because they are going to decay and give off "uck". What kind of bottom is your pond?

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 04:16:35 PM »
It's a rubber liner pond, no dirt on the bottom, and very little gunk.

After reading all this, I think it's suspended muck.  Now that I've changed to the KrewKut filter media, I think my filter will start working better.  I cleaned it Monday, one day after my weekly Sunday cleaning, and the top two layers were full of gunk. 

If I keep doing that, hopefully I'll eventually remove all the suspended matter that the filter's original media wasn't catching.

Thanks for all the tips. 

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 04:50:38 PM »
It could be that if you clean the filters daily it would clear up faster? I know in the early summer like now I clean mine daily in the skimmer. Good luck!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 06:37:37 PM »
I've resigned myself to perpetually tea-stained water. We are completely surrounded by Oak trees, so even in the summer (when no leaves are falling), the water is always stained. No amount of water changes will fix it.

There is also a certain amount of turbidity to my water, that my filtration cant seem to fix. I think it's caused by having too many plants- and too much decaying plant debris that I can't clear fast enough.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 07:03:49 PM »
I'd try some quilt batting in your filter to see if that might just clear it up a little sooner.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 07:09:39 PM »
Having used quilt batting, originally, and then discovering the stuff from Krewcut, I'd stick with Krewcut if I had it. QB is fine in a emergency. KC holds up for many rinsings and easily catches the fines just as well as QB but holds it's shape much better. Krewcut medium has two layers of texture. One is a tiny more coarse and the green layer is very fine.

Yes, I'd rinse frequently too and do, depending on the amount of gunk I'm after.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 07:30:52 PM »
Krewcut, tell me more, tell me more.   {:-P;;  I must have missed the post about it.    {:-P;;   Sounds great.  Tell me more, tell me more. {:-P;; {:-P;;

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 08:38:04 PM »
OMG, I wanted to order some (the 12" X 10' for $9.99)...but the freaking shipping is $11.48!!!   :o :o :o >:(- >:(- >:(-

These high gas prices have ruined all of my internet shopping.  :'(

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 03:50:32 AM »
Iv'e never heard of it either what is it? and where do ya find it? I have used the polly foam for years is it better?????
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 06:55:58 AM »
I found their prices pretty darned good, and my order came within a week.

It's VERY flimsy, though, and I'm going on trust that it can be rinsed and hosed and reused.  So far, it's held up.  But then again, I've only washed it twice.  It DOES catch much more gunk than my previous medium.

Pond Filter Media

http://krewkut.zoovy.com/

Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 2:42 PM
To: wallpaperlady@att.net
Subject: Re: Sales/Product Question

Krew Kut Customer Service
440-320-7854

Pond Filter Media
•   Great product for a great price. Made in the USA
•   Ships out in 48 hours
•   Pond Filter Media Bonded For Extra Strength
•   Pond Filter Media Bonded to fit your pond filter or aquarium filter
•   Our best rated product! 7 years in a row.
•   Coarse media comes in 1 size only. Dark Blue in color.
•   Spend $69 and your shipping is free! Lower 48

Recent feedback about our product!
•   GREAT seller! SUPER product ! 4 ****'s A+++++++++
•   Best filter material around-Fast service.Thanks for everything!!
•   Fast shipping! Wonderful transaction!
•   Clear water in 3 days! Thank you.
•   I am a customer for over 6 years. The best

Please join our list of satisfied customers.

Krew Kut's Reef Aquarium Filters 6" Tank Filters Fish
$4.99    
Pond Filter Media 12" Wide x 5'
$5.99    
Pond Filter Media Bonded 12" Wide x 10' SALE PRICE
$9.99

Pond Filter Media 12" x 20' x 1.5" New Size
$19.99    
Pond Filter Media 15" Wide X 5' L
$8.99    
Pond Filter Media 15" W X 10' L
$11.99

Pond Filter Media 18" Wide X 5' L
$6.99    
Pond Filter Media 18" Wide X 10' L
$13.99    
Pond Filter Media 24" X 24" Set of 2 Pads
$7.99

Pond Filter Media 24" Wide X 5'
$10.99    
Pond Filter Media 24" W x 10' L SALE PRICED
$16.99    
2 Pond Filter Media 30" x 30" Pads Premium Quality
$11.99

Pond Filter Media 30" x 10' Premium Quality
$19.99    
Coarse Pond Filter Media 20" x 25" Pad
$11.99    
Coarse Pond Filter Media 20" x 25" 3 Pad Set
$29.99

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 02:16:39 PM »
I thought their prices were very good, too, Julles.  I was objecting to the almost $12.00 shipping on a $10.00 order.  :(

Offline cokeisit

• Members
  • With us since: 17/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 08:49:45 AM »
concerning tannins, I have heard and read many places that activated carbon can help remove tannins from water and reduce the tea-stained coloration resulting from leaves and pine needles.  I dont have any first hand experience, but it sounds reasonable since the primary purpose of activated carbon is to absorb chemical toxins from water.
Pond Supplies by Natural Environmental Systems

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"