Author Topic: Water under the liner HELP  (Read 1333 times)

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Water under the liner HELP
« on: July 15, 2008, 10:00:09 PM »
Just before 11:00 tonight I heard a noise outside and went to investigate.  I heard the pump struggling and the lower pond  appearred to low for water to get into the pump house.  I got the water hose and started water flowing into the pump house.  I have a large outside light pole so I turned that on to see what was really going on. 

I had notice the past couple of days the lower pond's water level going down faster than it should and the water level in the upper pond was high.  I thought as the water was being pumped to the upper pond a bit of the water was overflowing and or being redirected over one side of the upper pond as this had happen before. 

Tonight after I turned on the outside light it appeared that the liner was closer to the top of the water in the upper pond than was normal.  I poked it and the liner is floating but toward the middle of the pond the liner was deeper.  I went around to the other side of this pond and again the liner close to the side was floating close to the top of the water.  I thought all I can do at this time of the night is cut the water and the pump off till tomorrow. 

I called a friend of mine to see when he could come and help me find the problem.  When I called him I told him there was water under the liner and I could not see well to figure out the problem as it was dark.  He ask if there were eletric wires under the pond and I said no.  He was thinking the problem was the eletric in the house was off and I was in the house in the dark.

When he understood the problem was the pond, he began to say it was to late to talk about work that would need to be done tomorrow, in a nice way. Reporting he was willing to come now if it was the house.  I did explain to him how tramatic this is for me. He was understanding and we made a plan for him to come tomorrow to hlep fix it. 

Now how could the water get under the liner.  This pond is three and a half years old at least.  We did discuss a number of differ causes.  This has not been my best pond year even before this happened.    :'(

Myra
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Water under the liner HELP
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 10:11:48 PM »
Sorry to hear of your problem.  Could the water be leaking from your other ponds instead of going into this pond?  Hopefully someone else who reads this will be able to figure it out.  Maybe it will be more clear in the daylight.  Good luck!

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 10:17:57 PM »
If you have had heavy rains and you have clay soil and/or a high water table then that often is the cause for water raising the liner.  Another cause may be part of your liner being too low and water is flowing over the edge and under the liner.  I doubt the problem is a hole in the liner.  If you can't see any obvious causes I think you will need to wait until daylight.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline small fish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 06:39:52 AM »
Ok, in the light of day and with a clearer mind, I think I might know what the problem is.  Early this year I place a pot with some hibiscus planted in it at the back of the large water fall.  Now the hibiscus have done well and there were some other plants in twine in the roots of the hibiscus that have grown out through the rocks around and over the water fall.  I believe these plants have redirected the water and at times the water flow has been slower for different reasons, (lack of pond person cleaning out excess plants) {nono} and the water has dribble back under the spout of the water fall where the liner meets with that spout.  I plan to clean all of this out today.  There is not any hole in the liner as the pond is still holding water.

Myra

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 06:58:48 AM »
Another example of what we ponders call "A Learning Experienc."   :)

Hope that solves your problem.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 06:59:33 AM »
Glad you found your problem Myra  O0 O0   Have fun cleaning & dividing.  
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 07:40:18 AM »
That's a relief huh?  I had that happen with wh before too.  The blocked the exit in the skippy, and the water went out the back side and drained most of the pond.  After that I put a basket in, so they can't get right up to the openings.  Just yesterday I thinned them out, to make sure they don't get into the basket, but if they do block the sides, the water should go over the top and out the right directions.  I lived and learned  ;)

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 07:42:18 AM »
Whew!  Glad you found the problem.  Bet your pond never gets over-grown again!  Hope all your fishies are well.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 07:44:10 AM »
I think many of our pond problems turn out to be a simple fix.  In early June I was losing water real bad and felt my liner must have a hole in it.  Nope, it was a simple fix where water was flowing over an edge of the liner in my waterfall area.  Penney wort had become overgrown and was redirecting the flow of water over the liner.....a problem similar to yours....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline small fish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 08:25:36 AM »
Ok, lets say cleaning out the plant does fix the problem.  What can I do about the excess water that is under the liner.  Looking at it in the light there is a lot of water there.  Will it just soak into the ground.  But with the amount of water there it would appear to take along time.   :(   

Myra

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 08:28:08 AM »
Any way you could snake a tube under the liner to where the water is & suck it out?
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline small fish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 01:26:34 PM »
Humm, that is a thought.  Thanks Kat   :o

Myra

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"