Author Topic: Snail infestation  (Read 1865 times)

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
Snail infestation
« on: July 17, 2008, 01:36:42 PM »
I have one pond that is infested with snails from some pond grass that i put in a while ago. I have used Potassium permanganate a while ago to treat for snails, but forgot how much to use. The volume of this pond is 1200 gallons. does anyone have a formula for treating and sending the snails to snail heaven?

thanks,

lou

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Snail infestation
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 06:00:56 PM »
Can you put some fish in there?  I have snails, but not an overabundance by any means.  I'm sure the fish keep them undercontrol.

we did have a discussion about snails a month or so ago... Maybe you can search it out and read previous posts on the subject.

Offline louis

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 06:09:59 PM »
Can you put some fish in there?  I have snails, but not an overabundance by any means.  I'm sure the fish keep them undercontrol.

we did have a discussion about snails a month or so ago... Maybe you can search it out and read previous posts on the subject.

thanks julles, i dont have any fish. i cant keep them, i have many preditors.

i will do a search.

thanks,

lou

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 06:49:57 PM »
Louis do you have butter and garlic @O@, perhaps we could have a cook out. 

Actually there are products that will knock out the snails, I think it's Ropel, but check on line.

Gary

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 07:17:28 PM »
Louis do you have butter and garlic @O@, perhaps we could have a cook out. 

Actually there are products that will knock out the snails, I think it's Ropel, but check on line.

Gary

AHHH,  esgargot . did not think of it. :)

lou

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 09:31:41 AM »
I'd sure like to kill them off in my aquarium. My fish don't' eat them until I smash them against the glass for them. I make no dent even if I smash a dozen a night.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 09:33:42 AM »
I've got way too many snails, too.  Don't know what to suggest.

For an aquarium I heard that clown loaches LOVE snails.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline marla

• Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 09:40:53 PM »
Last year I used a product called Sluggo....it is very large pellets, a handfull in each pot.  It was given to me by the local aquatic nursery to try.  This year I tried it in the free standing lotus pots with not so much luck, but I think they have just to many and not sure the lotuses' will survive.   It did a pretty good job, this year I have goldfish in the pond and they do a better job.  Bonnie, I've heard the same about Clown Loaches.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline CoolShades

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 08:35:40 AM »
Ohhh no Mr. Bill!!!!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 11:12:47 AM »
I use Sluggo in the garden but not in the pond.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 11:39:57 AM »
Freshwater Puffers like snails too. They will clean them out in a hurry. Of course they will harass each other and any other fish in the tank. I would move the existing fish to temporary quarters and let them have the aquarium snails and then either rehome the puffers or put them in another heavily planted tank with lots of caves and such. They are the cutest mean little fish out there. How can you not love their faces. Of course then you will want to breed snails to feed them.  :)
http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/

Offline justme

• Members
  • With us since: 10/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 11:02:34 PM »
Not helping Louis at all but the goldfish always kept my aquariums free of snails and in my koi pond the only snails are in my biofalls box and stream where the fish cant get there are none in the pond its self.

Offline Cedric

• Members
  • With us since: 30/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 02:57:09 AM »
I've had some success with keeping snail numbers down to a tiny insignificant trickle from a veritable explosion. Im just trying to work out what it was I did that helped.

I have a large concrete "tank" couple of meters wide and one meter deep which was heavily infested with hair algae and snails. The first thing I did was empty the whole thing and scrub it down with bleach. Then I used tap water to fill it and not the usual river water. They don't have much of a stomach, mine at least, for chlorine it seems. Because although there was initially a miraculous appearance of more snails (probably from the leaves of the capensis that went back in there) they just never returned in any great numbers and their shells where paper thin. The hair algae has disappeared and has stayed away primarily because I stopped using salt to harden the water for the fish. Now I top up with tap water as it seems (though I cant say this is it for sure) to keep the snails in balance, just find the odd one or two. There is a lot of pond weed in there as well and things like the minute cherry shrimp are thriving as are the platy fish despite the odd dose of chlorinated tap water. The lily is as robust as ever.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 07:32:34 AM »
Go here:

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79456

Read EVERYTHING Roddy Conrad has to say about snails.  E-mail him if you need more info.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 08:16:56 AM »
Hi Louis ,
I put 4 - 6 " Subunkins in my lily pond because it was infested with snails too . They are every snail in there . I didn't feed them for a week .

bonnie

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 08:24:20 AM »
 :D Get a killer pump like mine!!   :o ::)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 04:54:11 PM »
I have not tried this as I don't have much of a snail problem (yet), but I found this receipe in "Great Green book of Garden Secrets" by Jerry Baker:

Super Slug Spray

1 1/2 cups of ammonia
1 tbsp. of Murphy's Oil Soap (have no idea what that is)
1 1/2 cups of water

Mix all of the ingredients in a handheld mist sprayer bottle, and overspray any areas where you see slug activity.  It doesn't say when is the best time to spray, but I would guess that with the oil part of the spray it is best to do it early am or evening or else you might scorch the foliage. (Oh, and don't use it on lotus leaves, I think they are too sensitive to oil sprays and will scorch)

Let me know how this works if you decide to use it.  ;)
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 10:16:24 AM »
Murphy's Oil Soap is a cleaning product, I believe it's for wood.  Should be easy enough to find  ;)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"