Author Topic: Tadpoles  (Read 921 times)

Offline aravenschild

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Tadpoles
« on: July 19, 2008, 03:58:15 PM »
A little over a month ago, I posted asking info on tadpoles,.........My grandsons added ::)some tiny black tadpoles to my pond last year,.....I know it was them, I saw them carrying the jarfull of tadpoles around showing everyone, then found the jar sitting on the side of the pond empty  {nono}::)

Well, they over wintered keeping there tadpole shapes and just kept getting bigger, and bigger,.....A couple of people here suggested that they might be bullfrog tadpoles, so of course I'm thinking my pond is gonna be overrun by giant fish eatting bullfrogs ::) ;D

Well , they have finally decided to become frogs. I counted six this morning, and all had stubby tails, so they are not quite done with there transformation yet,......... and each one is huge :o, one could almost cover a quarter if it sat on it! lol lol In fact they are about half the size they were as tadpoles! lol lol

Now I'm worried that the koi  o((the biggest is about 8 inches long) is gonna try to eat the froglets and choke! ;D {:-P;;

I think I need a vacation........................

Vicky

PS, If the doctor says theres nothing wrong with you that a straight jacket and a padded cell won't cure.................Worry!

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Tadpoles
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 05:35:50 PM »
I worry about the fish eating them, too.  But I've heard they don't eat tadpoles because they don't taste good.  And we don't have frogs around here (except tree frogs); we only have toads.  And toads transform and them climb out of the pond, so no worries about the fish getting them.  The only time they get back into the pond is to mate, and by then, they're way too big to eat.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 06:16:14 PM »
I have purchased half morphed tadpoles and never saw them again. I don't know if they morphed all the way to frogs and then left or if they were eaten but I would suppose that if the fish could get them in their mouths, they could swallow them.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 11:19:02 AM »
I think even a freshly morphed bullfrog is much bigger than a quarter. Bullfrog tadpoles are huge, about 4 inches long.

Fish do eat frog eggs but I don't know about tadpoles. No eggs in my fish pond have survived to that stage.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"