Author Topic: Something fishy....  (Read 1747 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Something fishy....
« on: July 19, 2008, 10:18:48 PM »
First time taking photos of some of my shubs when I removed them from the "Koi Pond" and put them into my new Lily pond.  Since I don't have a nice blue bucket/bowl I used a clear plastic commercial cake lid.   o(

The walkins are so tame they swam into our hands for the move.  They were getting rolled over by the koi at feeding time.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Something fishy....
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 10:25:54 PM »
New ryukins are too cute and swimming quite well along side of the Shubs and Walkins.  Have to look carefully to see if they are walkins or ryukins.

Then Angel our last remaining longfin who is also very friendly but small kept on jumping into the colander while we were trying to corral the shubs.  I think she has to work harder at catching pellets from the larger koi.

Enjoy!

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 10:42:45 PM »
Cute photos, Annette!
That gold koi needs to eat - its skinny.  lol

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 10:52:13 PM »
That golden koi is a beauty and I think she deserves to lord it over the Wakin for a bit until she is big enough to get some respect in the koi pond.  The others are gorgeous too.  It makes me miss my fish in Calif.  boo hoo  :'(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 01:52:02 PM »
Sunbeam can you believe Angel, the gold koi is fat compared to when I bought her.  Also I'm trying to feed my pups like Mikey!!  ;D  Soon they will all look like fancy fish too.  :D

Jonna will you be adding fishies to your ponds down south?  I remember your beautiful explosion of walkins in the desert.  :o

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 02:43:32 PM »
Too Cute !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! o(:-)  lorraine
lorraine

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 02:56:17 PM »
I hope to have fish.  Right now I'm not even sure how well these ponds will work.  It's unclear still whether they will pay any attention to the pond guy I got to talk to them or if they just nodded and said yes and intend to do it how they want.  I need to be there to stay on top of it but, things like Dolly the tropical depression now storm have kept me over here at the beach. 

My original idea was that I could have schools of colorful tropical fish in the pond inside.  I wanted to have those inside and wakin or other fancy goldfish in the outside one.  Now, I think I need to assess the predator situation before I decide.  There are coatimundis and raccoons and possums in the city and I don't know if my high walls or my dogs will keep them out.  If not, there is the option of putting the smaller schooling fish outside and the larger ones inside.  The temps outside might be a problem, while one thinks of this area as really warm there are times in the winter when the night air temps get into the upper 50s or low 60s.  Oddly enough, I am having a solar system put in to heat the pool water so I can swim in the winter.  When you dig down into the solid limestone as we've had to do, the rock around it keeps the water at a pretty steady 74f and that is too cold for me except on a really hot day and probably too cold for aquarium fish.

I've kind of resigned myself to just wait and see how it goes and perhaps make changes once it is done.  There are so many details that I need to stay on top of that the ponds have slipped a bit in my radar.  Also, I don't want to be picking at every little thing or the really important stuff - like they put the kitchen counter in too low - will get lost in the complaining.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"