Author Topic: test your memory on the states  (Read 1639 times)

Offline ladybug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • i went sky diving this year, amazing!!
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • ladybug's garden spot
test your memory on the states
« on: July 19, 2008, 11:47:15 PM »
fun test to take.  i missed nine.  my mother who sent the link to me missed ten.  it is killing her that i beat her by one.  have fun
ladybug

www.IronicSans.com/state22.html
life is too short to be unhappy

zone 7b

Offline ladybug

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • ladybug's garden spot
Re: test your memory on the states
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 06:14:15 AM »
another interesting thing about this test, is that you have to spell them correctly to get them to accept your guess.  we all think we can spell them, but .....you try. 
ladybug

zone 7b

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 06:58:06 AM »
D&&M!  I missed 8! 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 11:50:20 AM »
Missed two, and one of them was Nebraska, so that shouldn't count. (Ducking)

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 09:11:49 PM »

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 11:22:40 PM »
Shoot, I missed three. Kentucky, Maryland and the one I have NEVER been able to pronounce (or spell) Massachusetts.  When Mimi wants a good laugh she tries to talk me into attempting to say that one, it just won't come out of my mouth right.  I can't even hear it said correctly in my mind, it makes my tongue sweat.  I'm very fuzzy on the east coast.  Actually I used to be a lot fuzzier on the middle states too (I called them the vowel states) but we've RV'd through many of them and now I can remember them. 

Putting them on the map was hard, my average error was 49 miles and my score was 78%.  Man, there are some really tiny states on the east coast and up there below Maine.  I didn't have any idea that some of them were so minute.  I think LA is bigger than Connecticut and there was an even smaller one, I forget now if it was Rhode Island or Delaware.  They really looked about the size of a the greater LA basin.  It must be odd to live in such a small state, you could drive across it in an hour or so.  Of course, then there is Texas and it takes 3 days to drive across it  ;D

Mike, I'm wondering if you did so well because you studied for the citizenship test?  I know that a lot of the study material would be hard for a natural citizen to get right. 

Offline ladybug

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ladybug's garden spot
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 01:38:38 AM »
that was fun too.  my score was 80% 64 miles was my avg. error.  some of the upper northeast ones gave me the most problems.  did you know that delaware was smack in the middle of pennsyvannia?  i didn't either!!  oh well, i guess only on the map in my mind :D
ladybug

zone 7b

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 10:31:04 AM »
Hi Jonna -
Haven't studied for the citizenship test yet - keep meaning to get to it, because I have only been here 30 odd years. Still a South African citizen. Only advantage is that, while I do not get to vote, I do not have to do jury duty either.

Maps have always been of interest to me - so by the 7th grade, if you mentionad a country, I could tell you where it was, which countries surrounded it, what it's flag looked like, capital city and chief export. Was a bit of a nerd that way. I can still pour over an atlas for hours though - probably what let me to a life of travel.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 11:43:07 AM »
I've always loved maps too but clearly I haven't been looking much at the ones from the northeast of my native country!   I also can sit and pour over maps of places I've never been, wondering about the climate etc.  Google Earth has been the biggest time sink on the internet for me.  What a trip to be able to see the actual terrain and with streets and highways laid over it.  The 3D ones in the cities are awesome too. 

I am considering taking the test here, I would not need to give up my US citizenship but I would gain some rights and not have to file every year for a visa.  I looked at the questions and some I know but some, like who wrote the national anthem, I would have to study.   I like to watch Craig Fergusen on late night tv and when he was studying for the US test he would talk about some of the questions, I was embarrassed to admit that a lot of them I either didn't know or guessed wrong. 

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 12:27:02 PM »
I can still pour over an atlas for hours though -
  At one point I wanted to buy a globe.....  However, I'm glad I didn't because the countries keep changing.....  I still don't know all the nations that separated from the Soviet Union......but figure if the name ends with "stan", it must be one of them.....
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 02:07:57 PM by Mikey »

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Oceanbum

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 12:39:24 PM »
Missed 10, too!! And I just thought of North Dakota and South Dakota as time ran out so I could have had 8!!! Darn the luck!!!  ::)
Becky

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 06:50:13 PM »
I missed 9 and made 81% with my average at 64 miles. It's them darn western states. It wouldn't let me put California as an island off the West Coast. ::) lol

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 07:48:56 PM »
Didn't fit huh?  Tammie will be relieved!  What helped me is when I didn't know where one of those teeny northern states was, I could just guess and it was never very far off in miles, they are all so small and close together.   lol lol

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 08:44:11 AM »
I missed five but I wasted three minutes staring at the screen trying to figure out what to do when I clicked on the link  {:-P;;

I didn't look to see what I missed but I know I missed Nebraska, Vermont and Massachusetts!

Got 84% on the map test. I had some of the New England states in the wrong place.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 08:54:46 AM by LeeAnne151 »
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 09:08:31 AM »
Took the state name test again the missed three that I had correct the first time. LOL
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline ladybug

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ladybug's garden spot
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 01:36:20 PM »
the first time i took the name the state test, i tried putting lousianna in about ten times thinking i was spelling it wrong till i noticed it was already in the list.  so i wasted precious time on that.  i know one of the ones i missed was iowa.  such a teeny word to forget, go figure :D
ladybug

zone 7b

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"