Author Topic: Hello Dolly!  (Read 2928 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
Hello Dolly!
« on: July 20, 2008, 03:07:13 PM »
Our first real tropical storm of this season is heading for us tonight.  She got a name today, Dolly, and so far she has not risen to the status of hurricane.  She's currently got winds in the 45mph range with gusts around 60mph.  I'm keeping a close eye on the weather radar and we can now see bands off to the north but no rain or high winds yet.  She's pushing some powerful waves though and our normally flat as a pancake bay has breakers and the sound of crashing waves. 

One of our friends who is a kite boarder is out there now playing in the waves on his board, I just saw him dump it for the 2nd time and I bet he comes in pretty soon. 

We have cleared off the deck of everything except the satellite dish for internet.  We tied that down and we're hoping if the electricity stays on that we will stay online.  It could happen. 

I was out there while Mimi was tightening the straps a couple hours ago and snapped this pic of the storm approaching (took the pic with my new iPhone!!).

We stuck around here to make sure everything stays locked down and the water stays out.  We've ordered some hurricane curtains but they aren't here yet.  I sure hope they get installed before we get a real hurricane. 

Dolly is not expected to strengthen before she gets here so we will be fine.  Once she passes over the Yucatan peninsula into the Gulf of Mexico though, the projections have her increasing to hurricane status and perhaps heading for the Brownsville TX area.   Let's hope Dolly is in a good mood and fades away quickly.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Hello Dolly!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 04:15:38 PM »
We need the rain in Texas.  @O@

Hurricane preparedness is part of life in South Texas - just like earthquake preparedness is in CAlifornia. My fish are in mudponds, so I have less to worry about than people with show ponds. When I had a show pond we had extra oxygen (welding tanks), back-up generators, and automatic cutoffs for the pumps (if a pipe gets hit by something, you don't want the pumps emptying the pond). 
The hazard is entirely manmade. The fish hunker down in the bottom. Its the lack of man's support - keeping the water turning - that kills fish after a big blow.

That's a really kewl photo.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 04:19:13 PM »
What a view!!!  Beautiful photo!  Must be rough to have a view like that.  'Hope Dolly just putters out.

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 04:46:42 PM »
They've now upped the wind prediction to 60mph with higher gusts but they are also saying it will come in about 35 miles south of us instead of right over us.  We'll still get the northern storm surge which can be the most damaging part. 

I took this pic as a band was just getting to us, the rain was only about 30' off the deck and there were sprinkles being blown on me (and my new iPhone - ack!). 

Now it is offshore again, I think we are between bands, but I can see the rain advancing across the water.  The silly kitten keeps running out on the deck, getting hit by an errant raindrop and zooming back inside.  It's pretty funny.  We just took the dogs down to run on the beach and the dobie didn't see a wave coming, since there usually aren't any waves out there, and she got broadsided and knocked to the sand.  Didn't faze her but that was pretty funny too.

Hurricane preparedness is a way of life here too.  We bring everything in from the deck, if it is just a TS we tie the dish down and hope for the best.  I am getting some of those StormCatcher hurricane curtains but they are still on order and not due to be delivered for a couple weeks.  I love the way the ocean changes, the colors and the waves and the sounds.  I don't think I'd stay here in a cat 5 like Wilma or Emily though, that would be too scary.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 04:56:28 PM »
BTW...Impressive photos from the iPhone!

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 06:46:49 PM »
Heard about that Dolly tonight and wondered about you Jonna!  Impressive photos, what colors!  Stay safe and don't take chances.  Let us know how you fare.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 06:13:32 AM »
Hey - Jonna - how was it? Got some post Dolly photos?

If Dolly comes this way, and its predicted to go in much farther south, we will set up a webcam.  8)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 08:48:38 AM »
You alright down there, Jonna?  Heard on the news this morning that Dolly is a T1!

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 09:02:43 AM »
And I thought this thread was going to be about the musical Hello Dolly.....  Hopefully you are well enough inland that it won't do much damage to your house that's under construction.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 11:55:22 AM »
Dolly fooled us all including most of the forecasters.  She did a fancy dance step and turned north just before coming ashore, sliding through the Yucatan channel between Cuba and Cancun and slipping on into the Gulf without losing power going over land.  Now, she is ready to become a real menace.  What I see has her heading for Texas or northern Mexico.  It's not the center that is the biggest trouble, it is her north-east edge that packs the big wind and rain. 

She was a big no-show here.  It stayed calm with only occasional bands of rain but not much wind.  Farther north a friend on Isla Mujeres, an island north of Cancun and in that Yucatan channel, got a lot more wind, rain and some big storm surge.  We've actually had more rain today from the trailing edges than we had last night.   

We're going to head back over to Merida to check on the house building while we have this break as there is another ridge coming off the African coast that is expected to become a big storm in a few days. 

I wish those hurricane curtains would hurry up and get here!

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 12:40:45 PM »
Yikes!

We're supposed to fly to Houston Saturday morning...
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 12:50:15 PM »
Phew Jonna.

Offline MikeW

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 04:04:21 PM »
Dodged that bullet alright.

(Mikey - I was thinking a sheep for some season)

What are hurricane curtains Jonna? I have never seen anything but whopping big pieces of wood being nailed over windows in the news.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 11:33:16 PM »
The ones we ordered are called StormCatcher and they are a strong material similar to trampoline fabric but thinner.  They are installed with eye bolts and can be taken down, folded and stored.  You can see through them and they are light weight and easier to store than big sheets of aluminum or plywood which is a big plus for us.  Also, friends with the permanently installed aluminum type of shutters tell us that they rattle all the time.  The curtains claim they stop 96% of water and wind, making it possible (but highly unlikely for me) to stand inside them and watch a cat 4 or 5 hurricane.  Heh!  No way!  There is some video out there of a guy in Asia standing in his screen porch filming a cat 4 typhoon.  As I said, NOT ME!! 

We have a long wall of glass and sliding doors facing the water and there is a short (around 3') overhang.  What they will do is mount the fasteners under the end of the overhang and sunk into the floor of the deck.  When the curtain is attached, it will be several feet outside the glass and it's main characteristic is that it repels or bounces back large items that hit it thus saving the windows.  On the back side of the condo, the fabric will be attached directly to the wall around the windows and if something large hits it the window can break, but the curtain will still keep out most of the wind and rain so all you need to clean up is a little water and some broken glass.  Unprotected, if the winds from a hurricane get inside they can blow out all of the windows in the house.  It's the difference in pressure, there are examples of a window breaking and allowing the wind inside and it blows the roof off!  Probably not going to happen here where everything including the roof is concrete and rebar but still...

In the past, we've had no protection and we went through 2 cat 4+ and cat 5 hurricanes in 2005.  We're on the 3rd floor so we don't get the storm surge damage from boulders and huge chunks of coral crashing through the house, the condos on the 1st floor have that with even smaller hurricanes as well as a couple feet of sand inside. Last year an entire palm tree trunk got into one ground floor condo and did a whirly-gig dance destroying almost everything. 

Mainly we need to protect from wind, driving rain and flying objects.   What happened in the past is that the workers came in and took everything down off the walls and shelves and moved it all into the most protected bedroom.  They then opened the sliding doors about a foot and also opened windows at the back to let it just blow through.  Needless to say we got a lot of water damage to furniture they couldn't move and we've replaced the tile floors in 2 rooms from water getting underneath and eventually popping them up.  We're hoping to avoid that and not to have to worry so much or come over and do so much moving of stuff.   Plus, for every hurricane that actually hits near us there are a dozen or more warnings and you have to go through the whole rigamarole just in case. 

The curtains are made to order and we are still about 3 or 4 weeks out from getting them delivered unless I get lucky, he said if they had a lull between large jobs he would put us in sooner.  I should have ordered them earlier but I couldn't make up my mind.  Really, I didn't want to spend the money but looking at the costs of the 2 new floors and having just had all the furniture sanded down and varnished to get rid of the white marks from water, I think it will be a good investment.   Here's a link to the web site http://www.stormcatcher.com/ 

jclements, you should keep an eye on the hurricane reports, I use this one http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/.  Right now it shows Dolly heading for the Brownsville area but these tracks change hourly and they change a lot so you need to keep an eye on it.  There were models earlier today that had Houston under its path.  She was supposed to hit us dead on up to about 4 hours before she moved past us instead.   It also depends on how strong she gets, some are saying she could be a cat 3 or larger by the time she crosses the warm waters of the Gulf.  They are really only making educated guesses although it sure beats not having any idea at all where they are.

Here's the sat image of her now, she's really big with bands stretching across the entire Gulf of Mexico and back down through almost all of the Caribbean.  We have had heavy wind and rain today from that band you see trailing down into the Caribbean.  If you look on the right side of the Yucatan peninsula (that seal's head or thumb that is pointing towards Cuba and Florida), there is an island just offshore, that is Cozumel.  We are directly across from the southernmost tip of Cozumel, I can see their lighthouse and the cruise ships arriving on a clear night.   I'd wave but you can see that we are under some heavy orange that I think means rain.   ;D

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 05:39:53 AM »
I watch noaa.gov from my hurricane days back in Florida. The 5-day cone has a pretty wide margin. Hopefully it can just break apart and not cause anyone too much trouble!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 01:23:14 PM »
What's interesting to me is that is not the same picture I posted last night.  I thought it was a specific pic but it seems to be updating itself.  Kind of cool.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 02:34:29 PM »
Mercy, you seem to have a cavalier attitude about it all. It sounds pretty scarey to me. But I suppose you get kinda used to it eventually.

Those curtains sound like they would help a lot. As for the furniture, get plastic stuff, or stuff with cushions that can be removed quickly or replaced if inside water damage is a common thing.

Now am I understanding you right? You are not on the ground level? What am I remembering about a place you had bought that needed fixing up? Or is your place now just temporary while the other place is being repaired?

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 02:49:44 PM »
I'll have to take some time to look at those curtains.  Seems like we're about due for a hurricane too.
Tammie

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 03:39:44 PM »
From Brownsville to Corpus Christi, the Texas Gulf Coast is shutting down. Courthouse closed at noon.
Where we are, just south of Houston, we have already had light showers and winds. But more to come... I hope more rain.
 @O@

Cavalier sounds so... indifferent. Actually, we are practiced.  O0

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 05:16:49 PM »
Yes, not exactly cavalier.  We take it seriously and in some ways it is exciting.  But, there are so many warnings through a season that you can get kind of blah about them and of course, the one you don't think to take very seriously is the one that turns and hits you.  Having grown up and spent almost all my life in earthquake country, I wonder sometimes if it is really better to have these warnings.  With an earthquake, you need to be ready all the time but you don't worry about it until it happens because you never know ahead of time.  I don't know, you just deal with what life deals you I guess. I am much more fearful in tornado country because it kind of combines the worst of both hurricanes and earthquakes.  You know there is one out there so you worry but you don't know if it will hit you, you can't really run far and there are so many of them that locals seem to get sort of ho-hum about them.

I wouldn't stay here on the beach in a cat 2 or up hurricane.  I've been here for plain jane tropical storms and it can be scary.  The noise is huge, and then the electricity is off (they turn it off just before it hits) so you are in the dark with all this howling and crashing and banging sound.  In a big storm surge the waves come right through the building and crash on the back side over the road.  I don't want to be in the building when that is happening.  No!  {nono}

We have a condo on the beach about 60 miles south of Cancun that we've owned for over 12 years.  That's the one I'm getting the hurricane screens for and that is the one that I worry about the most in hurricanes.  We bought an old house last year in Merida, about 3 or 4 hours away.  It is the capitol of the state of Yucatan and is a big city with old stone houses right next to each other.  It's about 20 miles from the Gulf of Mexico but rarely has problems with hurricanes, mainly due to its location.  Also though, the houses in the city center where we are are stone, touching the house next door and the problem would be drainage and flooding not wind.  The area drains well but sometimes so much water comes down at once that it just can't go anywhere fast enough.  Trees can blow down rarely and things can flood, not really life threatening to most and not as scary as being in a glass fronted condo facing the water.   We're renovating that house and don't yet live in it.  That's where I'm building the ponds too and it will be our main home once it is finished.  We will use the condo on the coast mainly in the hotter months and rent it out in the winter.  Oh, and it is on the 3rd and top floor of a 6 unit building.  That's why we don't get the storm surge problems they get downstairs.  If the surge ever got this high the building would wash away so why worry.  Heh!  Like I said, I won't be here in that big a storm.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 05:49:26 PM »
Hey! I'm supposed to make a trip to Merida in November. You want to get together for dinner?

The storm hasn't started in earnest on the Texas gulf coast, yet. Its supposed to slow down overnight, and its a tiny bit possible it will change direction slightly. But "slightly" can make a big difference.

I think we are going to be fine.  @O@

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 07:46:39 PM »
That would be great! I just sent you a PM with my phone number.  What fun to meet AP's down here. 

It looks like Dolly is headed for Brownsville, you'll likely get the northeast bands with a lot of rain.  But that's good right?

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 01:23:57 AM »
Rain is good. :)
Its already raining in McAllen (inland from Brownsville).
I woke to the sound of thunder - but the storms are, so far, just south of here.
No significant rainfall at my place, yet.

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 06:22:24 AM »
Jonna, I know how you feel about watching the storm. There's a little bit of excitement in it all. I can't quite describe it well, but just wanted to say I know what you mean!

Jessica
Dallas, TX

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"