Author Topic: More newby ?s  (Read 1480 times)

Offline milliemax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
More newby ?s
« on: October 08, 2006, 06:08:14 PM »
   Hi again, Nancy here.
  We don't have a huge ammount of $ to spend on this pond right NOW, but have some questions.
  Has anyone heard of a UV pond filter called the SUNTERRA P.F.1000W?
  Any info on it or other inexpensive U.V. systems?
  We only have a pre-formed 270 or so gal pond right now, but will probably go bigger in a couple of years.
  Also, DH wants to catch all the fish (6 comets) and empty the whole pond, clean it and start over once we get the UV filter. I thought it would be better to empty 25%, do some cleaning and repeat maybe once a week. I thought once the UV was in, it would clear up the water. Am I in the ballpark? Should we start from scratch?
  I lucked out today on pond nets to keep leaves out! I found 2 bed nets to keep out skeeters for 5$! I can keep one over the pod for the next month or so til the elm leaves are done! After that we can use them as skeeter nets in the spring!
  Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: More newby ?s
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 08:51:42 PM »
Do you run any kind of pump on it now, if so you shouldn't need to worry about sketters.

If you were to dump out all the water and start fresh, you would be starting everything over.  You would also loose any good bacteria that you have built up.  Depending on your area, this late in the season I would hesitate to even hook up a UV now.   If your in an area that freezes, it should be ran anyway.  What kind of filter do you have going now, with a pond that small, I think you should be able to get it clear with out a UV. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 05:01:48 AM »
For sure a partial declorinated water change just for the fish if nothing else. I wouldn't do a total change unless the water was really nasty with lots of muck on the bottom. Did you have plants in there this year? Sounds like you need some competition for nutrients next year (plants and a great biological filter) :)  How much do you feed? Do you already do routine partial water changes? UV's are good but all of them are pretty pricey and I agree with Kim, you should be able to skip the UV. You've got lots of fish, lots of waste for algae to feed on and if no plants or water changes, lots of nutrients to feed your green water.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 10:15:12 AM »
Skip the UV. Most of us have never used one because it wasn't necessary. How long have you had your pond up and running? Do you clean the bottom at all? Are you using a filter, either biological or mechanical?

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 10:20:36 AM »
Nancy,
It would be helpful to know what part of the world you live in. that might just help.
I'm with everyone here, especially without wanting to spend much $ on it.
forget the UV. Plants help, partial water changes also. But untill next year, if your up north, forget it and make plans for next year.
good luck,
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 05:28:58 PM »
In my opinion, UV's are useless. You need a smaller preform above the one that you already have as a plant filter. No junk on the bottom or algae.

Happy ponding,
Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline milliemax

• Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 05:54:21 PM »
Thanks for all the info. I'll try to respond to everyone.
  The skeeter nets are the kind you put over a human bed to keep skeeters out of your bed. We got it to keep the leaves out of the pond.
  Right now I have a Unicorn grass and somecat tails. The hyacinth kinda rotted and the umbrella palm turned yellow. I have it in the green house. (too cold for them both?)The pond is in mostly shade right now. Will have some sun when all the leaves are gone from the tree.
  We just have a cheap-o filter which we clean weekly. I found a vac that hooks to your hose that actually works pretty good! I do that as needed, depending how many leaves get in there. (THAT's what the net is for)
  I am in USDA zone 8ish. North of San Francisco. We get frost, but rarely freeze more than the dog dish.I'm sure with the fountain running the pond won't freeze.
  Our well water is pretty funky! Actually I'm thinking of getting a UV system for my whole house also! Lots of gunk in the water that eventually turns my tubs and toilets orange (but tests OK) I think this might contribute to the yukkiness of the water in the pond.
  Part of the reason DH wants to empty it is to move it (it's not in ground) to a sunnier area that will get less leaves.
  Nancy
P.S. Scott, you replied as I was responding.I'm not quite sure what your post meant. Can you explain? remember, I'm a newbie at this ponding stuff. TIA
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 06:14:58 PM »
The UV you mentioned must be a typo or a sterilizer. 25–100 watts would be more for water clarification. That would be for a much larger pond. That said, UV is a band-aid. If your filtration is not adequate, then UV can be used to kill the green floaty algae that causes green water—that's what the UV is supposed to get rid of. The problem there is you have a filtration deficiency to have all those nutrients available for the green algae to grow. Then you kill it with UV which frees up those nutrients to grow... more green algae. UV treats the symptoms not the disease IMHO.

Look for a filtration devise to fix your water problems. What Jeff is talking about is an additional body of water chock full of plants to remove those nutrients that make your water green, as well as other nutrients. You might want to investigate skippy or stock tank type of filters. You could probably make one with a Rubbermaid tote container. A plant that might work for you this time of year would be watercress. Pick up a bunch in the local grocery store and just stick the stems in the water.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"