Author Topic: What IS fertilizer burn?  (Read 777 times)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What IS fertilizer burn?
« on: July 22, 2008, 04:10:27 AM »
Here is a term that I have been PONDERing (pun intended, hehe)....what IS fertilizer burn anyway?  "too much fertilizer" that much I gather, but why call it fertilzer "burn"?  How is it that the roots are burned by the fertilzer? 

Are there any characteristic foliage signs too?

I think I now know the difference between foliage sunburn vs foliage mold (at least on a lotus anyway), but I wouldn't know fertilzer burn if I saw it.  Any answers?

:search:

My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What IS fertilizer burn?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 07:31:49 PM »
Fertilizer is a chemical. Too much of just about any chemical can be hard on a tender plant.
The common miscreant is nitrogen. Nitrogen is expressed in fertilizers, particularly chemical based fertilizers (as contrasted with compost), as ammonia. Ammonia is very harsh on anything that is uptaking oxygen, like roots.
I have never seen a phosphorous burn, but its probably possible.

The most common way that fertilizer will burn a plant is by nitrogen burning the tender parts that are exposed to it. In land based gardens, that would be the roots. In water based gardens, that would be anything exposed to the water.

What I have seen is that the leaves curl, and the curled edges die, crinkle, and wither. This is the same for both land based and water based gardens.

In extreme cases, you can actually see the fertilizer deposited on the leaves of water lilies as a salt.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    • View Profile
Re: What IS fertilizer burn?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 09:29:12 PM »
Very interesting  :thinking:  Thanks for the info.   :)
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"