Author Topic: Lots of talk about Skippies But  (Read 968 times)

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Lots of talk about Skippies But
« on: July 24, 2008, 04:25:58 PM »
Has anyone done a DIY skimmer?? that's what I'm wanting to add. Just haven't come up with a good plan? Mine works so well but It would be so great if I had one on the other side also!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of talk about Skippies But
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 04:54:26 PM »
I think Esther has hers up on the DIY forum here....nothing at all wrong with DIY---mine is a dog dish....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 05:07:42 PM »
Yup, we've never had any commercial items meant for pond use on our pond except the pumps of course. The tricky part was determining where the water level was going to be and making the cut where it worked. I had to lower mine a couple of times I think. Better that than getting the cut too low the first time. LOL. I have a Dremel and used the wheel that is mostly meant to cut metal.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 09:10:34 PM »

I would like to make a skimmer similar to the pondmaster's.  I can place it in the body of water to skim instead of having it to the side of the pond.  May have to blow a few brain cells.  :D

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 09:09:30 AM »
Where does it sit then? If it's not at the side of the pond, how ya gonna clean it out? I'm cleaning mine every several days.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 09:27:59 AM »
It's probably considered a floating skimmer.  A bowl just below water level pulls in water w/ debris.  The bowl is attached to a pipe to a prefilter and a pump.  I've seen these skimmers in pond stores.  I think there is a mat of some sort in the bowl to catch the big debris.  The bowl also can rise up or down with the fluctuation of the water level (about 6").

I just don't like having to pay for something that seems so simple.  This skimmer without the pump costs over $100.  :o

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"