Author Topic: help please - green water  (Read 1195 times)

Offline una box

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
help please - green water
« on: July 24, 2008, 07:29:53 PM »
We have a 3000 gal pond in full sunlight.  it has a skimmer, two mesh filters and a 2400 GPH pump that pushes water up to our waterfall.  In the waterfall weir we have bio balls.  There are 12 water lillies although they only cover about 35% of the surface.  There are two peat pellet bags hanging in front of the skimmer and a barley float about 12 inches square.  We cleaned the pond this spring, pressure washed it in fact.  Added bio-sludge when we filled it.  We have had the pond for four years and have always had soupy green water - can only see about 1 or 2 inches down - barely.  We have about 40 goldfish, and if I could see to catch them I would get rid of at least half.  We have been feeding about 1/2 cup of fish pellets per day, but someone on the chat line suggested we stop feeding them, so we will do that.  Two or three days ago we added a 40 watt uv pondmaster light in the line between the pump and the water wier, it has not made any difference yet. Due to evaporation we add an inch or two of water every other day.           Thank you for any help you can give me.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: help please - green water
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 09:01:28 PM »
Welcome Una Box!  Sounds like you have a great set up.  Maybe you need more water plants.  I find that the more plants I have, like parrot's feather covering the surface of the water, the better.  You may also give your pond some partial shade.

I have a way smaller pond in the sun with some shading but use the same amount of filtration as yours and I have pretty clear water.  Lots of the afore mentioned parrot's feather, too many koi, and no lilies.  Go figure!

Lot of great people here will see your post and help you out.  Good Luck!

Offline karenskoipond

• Members
  • With us since: 13/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 09:15:19 PM »
I've recently added hornwort and parrot feather and noticed a dramatic difference in my non-shaded slightly off color pond in just a week!  I'm a aquatic plant believer.
Good luck with your water
Karen

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 12:39:24 PM »
Una, we recently had a couple of discussions on just your topic.  Maybe you can scroll around or "search" and see answers to other people's questions about green water. 

Nice having you here, and don't forget - we love looking at pictures!

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 07:57:42 PM »
That's a long time to have pea soup water.  I had the same problem, but my pond would clear up when the temps where cool.  You really need some floaters and more coverage.  The uv clarifier will eventually do the job.  There are many threads here on water clarity.  Go to the home page and click on Pond Water Clarity.  There are many tips there.  Good luck.
Alfonso

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 08:17:23 PM »
I had water that was horrible for years i was just not knowledgable about it...but 2 yrs ago i was on a mission to clear it...so i  researched and asked asked asked and got alot of feedback on it and someone suggested volcanic ash and it work so i put volcanic ash in it 2 times a week and plants a must and clean  clean clean the filter media till it clears the water...and it is clear..u can count the pea pebbles at the bottom  ... her is a pic...lorraine
lorraine

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 11:12:06 AM »
Would Koi Clay help?

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 12:22:35 PM »
yes i think so...lorraine
lorraine

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 02:47:25 PM »
I have to clean my filter twice a week.  Good advice lorraine.
Alfonso

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"