Author Topic: Do it yourself filter out of crappy Bio filter I bought??  (Read 788 times)

Offline dennis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Do it yourself filter out of crappy Bio filter I bought??
« on: July 25, 2008, 07:01:38 PM »
Could I take my Oase BioTech 10 remove the sponges and insert my own bio stuff and gravel and add a screen to make my own skippy type filter??   This was suppose to work for 6000 gallon pond but so far in three years its been yuck........
Dennis
Graham Wa..... Ponding is addictive....

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Do it yourself filter out of crappy Bio filter I bought??
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 06:46:53 AM »
Of course, you can do whatever you want. After all, that filter is just somebody else's idea for a filter. Make it your own.

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 06:55:47 AM »
Sorry for your probs Dennis - I have always found Oase products brilliant. Expensive, but worth it.

I would agree with Esther. After all, what you have now is not working for you, so go ahead, adapt, adopt, improve!

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 11:03:35 AM »
I'm curious to know what your problems with the filter are.

I, too, bought a pricy-for-me pressurized bio filter (a Tetra 2500) and am not impressed with its cleaning abilities to be any better than what I've used before.  But the real problem is that it will not "self clean."  Turning the knob does redirect the water flow, but it doesn't squeeze the sponges or remove any debris from them.  I have to take the whole thing apart at least once a week and manually clean the media.  I ditched their original dense sponges and replaced with KrewKut filter media, and am testing to see if that cleans better.  The new media does NOT work any better on the self-clean cycle, though.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"