Author Topic: Locusts are here  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Locusts are here
« on: July 27, 2008, 12:39:03 PM »
The locusts have just starting coming out of their shells here and GD#1 loves looking for the empty shells, she calls them "shellies" and making jewelry out of them.  They must not be the same variety that Ky Kim spoke of cuz they don't have the slow whirr and build to a deafening noise like a very few I've heard.  I don't enjoy those.  If the cats get the chance, they love chasing them and eating  :P them.   :D
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Locusts are here
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 01:49:50 PM »
How cute.  I should have sent her some of my shells.  She could have sold them on ebay, you know people will buy anything.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Rick40

• Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 02:20:30 PM »

That is cute. They are starting to come out around here also. Only ours have the deafening noise. So much for the peaceful quiet evenings.

Rick

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 02:33:02 PM »
Her sister who is 4 runs screaming away when we are collecting them.  She's afraid of just about every kind of insect, but this one is like her grandmother  ::) and is looking under rocks and poking sticks into things to see what's there.  She loves to collect snails out of the pond, examine them, watch them try to "escape" and then put them back again in another part of the pond. 

I wonder what the difference is in the locusts?  I have heard a few that start really low and build to a deafening noise.  But ours aren't like that here, they just sing for a few seconds and then are silent.  They fly to another tree and start again, if the cats don't get them first.   8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 08:25:05 PM »
Your grand daughter is beautiful!  Sharing interests is fun!  Even if they are insects.  :P

Offline Oceanbum

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 06:03:33 AM »
We were camping when they first started coming out here. We were sitting around the campfire and noticed they were coming up out of the ground. We thought the fire was bringing them up. Then we noticed they were climbing up our legs!!! YIKES!!!!!  :o It was really quite freaky!!!! Our girls was freaked out by it!!!! The next day they were EVERYWHERE!!!!! Hubby and I went back out to the camper a couple of weeks later. There were three times as many and the noise was deafening!!! There were hundreds of shells around the base of the tree next to our camper!!! It was unbelievable!!! There are still a few around. You can hear them but nothing compared to the end of May and all of June!!!

Your Granddaughter's pic is beautiful by the way!!! I'm glad she enjoys collecting them!!! My daughters used to enjoy picking them up and looking at them - until this whole experience!!! Now they just walk away from them!!!!! Or is that RUN AWAY?!!!!!  ::)
Becky

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 10:45:06 AM »
There are different kinds of Cicadas. The ones here just buzz a little bit but the ones in Phoenix buzz very loudly for hours. There are only a few here but thousands there.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 12:03:58 PM »
Thanks all, she is a darling!   {:-P;;  I wish she'd had her mouth open smiling, her 2 front teeth are missing!  I just LOVE that!  But they are in enough that she ate sweet corn the other night and that's what's important  lol

Oceanbum, I would NOT like that experience at all either.  That sounds like something out of a science fiction pic.. {nono}  I LOVED Chillicothe, my sister and her husband used to live there and I loved jumping in the car:  an hour and a half later I was there!  All country roads too from here Rt. 56, to Mt. Sterling then 207?  We had good times there!  o(:-)
LuAnn

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 02:23:24 PM »
Love that picture and the little gal's "jewelery".

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 04:54:44 PM »
Thanks Esther!  :)
LuAnn

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"