Author Topic: Space Invaders!  (Read 1057 times)

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Space Invaders!
« on: July 28, 2008, 04:42:51 PM »
Either these are aliens or someone is giving my garden bugs steroids! I've never seen bugs the likes of these...ever!  I had just started weeding out by my compost heap (as you'll see in the pics  :redface:), and I ran across these guys.  I went to try to guide one in a better position for the camera, and he was STICKY!  It was like superglue  :P  I've touched slugs before, but this one was, well, check it out...

By the way, anything I should worry about here?  Or just let 'em be sluggy?

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Space Invaders!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 07:20:41 PM »
eeeeeeeewww   :suspect:  icky looking.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 07:26:53 PM »
Diatomateous earth (sp?) or salt!!  The soil has diatoms (tiny shells from ancient seas) and as the slugs move across it it cuts their skin and they die.  A natural deterrent.  My "good" flower beds have it and I've never seen a slug in them.  Salt almost dissolves a slug   :P
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 07:43:28 PM »
Yucccckkkkeeee!  That's why I do not look when I turn my compost.  Too many things scattering around or sliming about.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 08:38:27 PM »
Eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww, those bring back memories.
When I was a kid we had them really bad.  My Mom always had me go out at night with a flashlight and a salt shaker.  I made a game out of it, trying to beat my top number.  They were mostly on the sidewalks and the aluminum siding. 
We don't have them at this house, thank goodness.  I have heard that if you have toads, you won't have slugs.  Don't know it thats true, but we do have a lot of toads.

Karen

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 05:17:20 PM »
Karen made a good point.  We use to have them pretty bad here, and now that I think of it since the ponds.  I rarely see one and yes, we have lots of toads and frogs.  hmmmmm :thinking:

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 08:56:59 PM »
Good Lord, I've never seen a slug marked like that before (insert "barf" emoticon here)!  I'd use the slug pellets...I'm not sure I could put salt on one and watch it dissolve.   :P

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 10:48:11 AM »
We have thousands of them here. If you cut them in half, others will be attracted to their dying and you can cut them too.  :D 

I use Sluggo bait, it isn't harmful to pets, children or wildlife. Many others are. Salt certainly does work but you have to apply it directly to the slug.

Garter snakes and toads eat more slugs than frogs do. Ducks eat them too.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"