Author Topic: Fell off the ladder because of earthquake....  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Fell off the ladder because of earthquake....
« on: July 29, 2008, 11:48:45 AM »
I was out in the alley trimming a bush and suddenly lost my balance, falling off the ladder.  I wasn't hurt but upon standing the earth was moving.  I was standing beneath power lines in the alley and I immediately moved away from them due to them swaying about......  I could hear children in a nearby park screaming.....  I just now looked outside at the pond and the poor fish are hiding......  The area around the pond is wet due apparently to water splashing out.....  I'm glad I was outside because I don't like being inside during quakes....
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 03:01:16 PM by Mikey »
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Fell off the ladder because of earthquake....
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 11:56:46 AM »
That must be freaky :o I can only imagine.
Glad you didn't get hurt.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 12:23:04 PM »
yeppir...a 5.8 centered in Chino Hills.  Heard the rumble for a few seconds, then the house shook for about 4-6 seconds.   Wild ride....
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 12:30:45 PM »
The area around the pond is wet due apparently to water splashing out.....
That's kind of creepy. :D

Just heard about the quake a short bit ago. A Co-workers brother lives in the area so she was frantic to call him. She finally got through and he said he didn't feel much and it was further east from him. I've only ever felt one quake and that was one that happened in eastern Utah and we felt it here in Colorado. The house rumbled and it felt like it was swaying, very strange feeling.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline kamala

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 12:53:38 PM »
It was quite a ride.  I was standing at a neighbors front door with a 30 foot trailer on one side and a house on the other, I thought for sure I was gonna get sandwiched between.  I didn't feel much of the roll, just the giant jolt.  Got home to aquarium water all over the floor and dresser, pond water sloshed out, the dog won't leave my side, and turtles arn't interested in sunbathing.  The fish are still looking for food.  My daughter was volunteering for preschool, and the kids were just told the earth was dancing.  My younger daughter wasn't sure what is was and couldn't careless, just frustrated that cell phones are mostly use.  Always a wake up call here in southern california.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 01:10:04 PM »
I bet it took you a few seconds to figure out what was going on after taking the tumble.  Sure glad you didn't get hurt.

Karen

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 01:18:37 PM »
I just heard about it on a news break between shows and the first thing I thought of was you Mikey!  I was thinking that you lived closer to LA the the other California ponders...but what do I know?   ::)  Glad to hear you weren't hurt, funny how I think of you all as my friends, even though we've never met..... :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 01:50:50 PM »
Boo Hooo  You thought of mike first! :'( :'( :'(

I was at an audition, everyone froze.  I said did i make the earth move for you?  They all laughed.
he said i'll call you tonight.  I have heard that before.
A young lady was there who just arrived from NYC.  She said, "what's that?"  I told her she just went through her first quake.  She plans to write her mama today!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:57:25 AM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 01:58:51 PM »
Glad to hear you're all fine in SoCal.  Lucky you weren't hurt, Mike.  That would have been scary.

I was out front watering plants and watching a big furniture truck get ready to unload furniture at my neighbors house.  Then I heard a growl and felt the ground sort of jump.  First thought was, "man that furniture must be heavy!"  But the ground kept on moving, almost like a rolling, undulating.  I froze waiting for the earthquake to stop.

Everything's fine, only my cockatiel, Kiwi, freaking out ?)(?.  I was planning on going down to the local stone yard to pick out stone to bring home for my pond but I think I will hold off until tomorrow.  There are still aftershocks, which I can't feel...  Don't like getting crushed by boulders or crates of rocks.   :o

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 02:17:07 PM »
It was horrid here in Pasadena. Only one coworker diving under her desk (as we were all supposed to do), but the rest of us just froze. Our office building shook quite violently.

The CVS Pharmacy next door has many of the shelves emptied on the floor. At least I was not up a ladder! My number one earthquake horror though, is to be at the dentist, with the needle embedded in your gum, and have it snap off in the jolt. Don't know why I fixate on this - but could you imagine!

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 02:19:19 PM »
Thank you MikeW for planting that seed!  :o :P

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 03:10:31 PM »
Thank you MikeW for planting that seed!

Indeed!!! LOL! Now I won't be able to get that picture out of my head for a day or two. ;D
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 03:18:22 PM »
Thank you MikeW for planting that seed! 
Hey Annette, he's a gardener....  What did you expect?  :D

Only one coworker diving under her desk
As a kid I was always taught at school to get under my desk during an earthquake.  Current earthquake disaster training no longer recommends getting beneath desks.  Turns out they were death-traps during major earthquakes that cause buildings to collapse.  They now recommend lying flat on the floor next to a bulky item such as a large desk, stove, bed, kitchen counter etc.  When the structures pancake they have found that survivors were people who were in small pockets created by bulky items that did not squash flat.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 03:22:30 PM »
Earthquakes give ya a funny feeling, that's for sure.  I've only experienced a couple in my life.  The one just a couple months ago.

Glad you wasn't hurt. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 03:46:17 PM »
Glad everyone's OK.

What if someone put a mattress over them in the bathtub? Of course who would have time to go get the mattress in an earthquake? I had thought of that when thinking of tornadoes. At least with them there's a warning.

The place we're told to go for a tornado is the southwest corner of a basement if you have a basement. Otherwise they say to go to a small interior room like a bathroom. Unfortunately, that corner of my basement is the closet where the pump holding tank is in my house. But I would think that three could get in there if necessary. And it is the garage side of the house so I'd think that was good. And to have the extra walls around us would be good too. Grand Rapids had a terrible tornado maybe 40 years ago but nothing since. I've only once been near one, just on the edge and didn't really realize what was going on because I was in a car with no radio.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 03:47:20 PM by Esther »

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 04:29:39 PM »
Glad everyone is okay.  @O@

When the Northridge quake hit, Roark lost most of the water in his pond. :o

Offline MikeW

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 04:45:35 PM »
Mikey - I did not realise they had updated the 'survival suggestions'. One coworker (You have met Kathy) also said - "I don't think we are supposed to get under the furniture anymore".
Of course, trying to stand under a doorway, in a modern office building, with their self closing fire retardant doors, also proves to be a bit of a challenge - with the door trying to constantly close, and push you out of the way.

Surviving an earthquake is just not as simple as it once was!

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
Glad everyone is ok...

MikeW, only you can make me laugh about something as serious as dieing or the dentist. :D
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 07:32:59 PM »
Glad to hear all you CA's are ok!  That must have been scary.  I can only imagine, as I've never experienced one.  Glad you didn't break anything when you fell off that ladder.

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 08:10:32 PM »
I'm glad ALL of you are OK!  @O@ o(:-)

I got on here tonight specifically to see if everyone I "knew" in SoCal was OK!   O0

Mikey, I'm glad you weren't on a higher ladder.  MikeW and Jerry, you guys are a hoot!   lol

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 01:45:27 AM »
Now I know I'm really retired... I missed a fair sized earthquake in Calif and I didn't have to work overtime.  Glad you are all OK.  I guess I should have called the kid in LA but it didn't sound like it was a very serious one.   The ladder thing was fairly freaky, glad you're ok.  That dentist thing is just too weird. 

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 05:21:41 AM »
 :hug:  Glad everybody is OK  :hug:

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 09:16:06 AM »
MikeW's story reminds me of a fear I have every year at Christmas time while on top of the roof putting up the Christmas lights.  I have to squat near the edge of the roof and lean over in order to attach the lights.  The lower part of the roof-line doesn't bother me too much because it's only perhaps 10-12' to the ground.  However, when I'm at the peak of the roofline leaning over I, just like MikeW, start to think EARTHQUAKE and realize that a sudden jolt would send me over. 

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 10:36:48 AM »
Glad you weren't hurt falling off the ladder. Glad all of you are fine.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 12:08:03 PM »
Can you imagine getting lazer eye surgery during an earthquake?  :o  :o Yikes!

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 05:27:14 AM »
Or that tattoo you waited 20 years to finally get.... lol

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2008, 09:59:44 AM »
Or that tattoo you waited 20 years to finally get....

lol lol lol  The zig that became a zag.... {:-P;;

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2008, 04:26:10 PM »
I once knew some guy with a large homemade tattoo of "MOM" down his forearm........  Well at least it said MOM to him but anyone else looking at it read it as:
W
O
W

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »
Oh boy , that is creepy ! I'm glad you're ok !

bonnie

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2008, 07:43:42 PM »
OK, so we have a few things NOT to be doing during an earthquake.
1- Don't be in the Dentist's chair with a needle stuck into the gum. (corollary: drilling probably wouldn't be that great at the time)
2- Don't be in the Eye Surgeons chair undergoing Lazar eye surgery.
3. Don't be in an earthquake while getting a tattoo.

Here is my contribution: Coronary bypass surgery and/or brain/neurological surgery  :).

And maybe mixing up a large dose of PP.

Seriously, I'm very happy that you California folks are OK. I hope the damage wasn't too bad.

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"