Author Topic: My family needs a prayer (updated again OCT 19)  (Read 4293 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My family needs a prayer (updated again OCT 19)
« on: October 10, 2006, 07:20:24 PM »
 It has to do with my great nephew that is 5 weeks old and is in the hospital.  He went with with seizures, but was alert at the time, then ended up on a respirator.  They say he's alert now, and tracking well.  But they say he has a skull fracture.  There has never been a bruise on this baby EVER!  Nobody has been allowed to see him since last Thursday the 5th.  It all started after my nephew, his girlfriend and the baby were in a car accident Last Monday, he started having finger twitching, then it excelled from there.  CPS has stepped in, they had to go to a round table discussion today.  I attended with a lot of my family members.  I just told them that, that baby needed someone around him, I can understand them not letting the parents in until the figure things out.  But the exclude the whole family, I for one have never been a care giver for him.  The babies court date is tomorrow, we'll find out if some of us are allowed to see him or not.  I'll explain more later...(I hope they will at least let me have temp custody of him).  I know this is a little mixed up, I'll clear it up more later.....Its breaking my heart!

But for now, PLEASE keep him in your prayers.  Its a very trying time for all of us. 

Kimberly
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 02:00:42 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My family needs a prayer
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 07:36:08 PM »

So sorry to hear this Kim. Keeping you all in my prayers.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 07:41:03 PM »
Your little guy is for sure in my thoughts.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 08:28:40 PM »
Of course you have my prayers! (8:-)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline obsessed-nj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 08:47:06 PM »
Praying hard for all of you, especially your poor little great-nephew! Of course he'd do better with family beside him! I'm praying CPS will see the obvious and reunite you all ASAP.

Linda

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 08:49:06 PM »
Poor little one, babies need holding & cuddleing!!! I hope everything turns out well.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 10:10:03 PM »
In my prayers as well.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 06:01:50 AM »
That's awful, I hope everything turns out ok.  I agree babies need cuddleing and held.  Your family and especially the baby are in my prayers.
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Cindi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 06:18:26 AM »
Prayers are being sent your way.  Good luck with everything.
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 06:26:02 AM »
You & your family are in my prayers especially the little one.
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 06:30:48 AM »
How very difficult for everyone, including the baby.   Hoping and praying for a quick resolution and a very quick recovery for the baby!

Offline -Greg-

• Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 07:40:16 AM »
My family will not only be praying for your nephew, but for your whole family as well! I hope it gets resolved quickly! That baby needs his family!

GAJen

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 08:44:01 AM »
Got mine to Kim so sorry to hear this.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 08:03:57 PM »
Things are better and I can explain things a little more.

Thanks everyone for the prayers, keep them coming its helped.  Today was the first court date when the states appointed attorney represented the baby with CPS.  They were trying to still keep everyone out of the hospital.  But it worked out.  They are saying that the baby had a skull fracture.   My nephew fell asleep with him on his chest laying on the bed, he said he must have moved and he did fall and hit his head on the floor.  There apartment has hardwood floors over concrete.  A true accident, then the car wreck.  None of these problems started happening until after the car accident.

The social workers are saying child abuse.   Now, they are saying he has 4 skull fractures, how do you go from seeing ONE to FOUR now.  I just don't understand that at all.  That the baby appears to have been beaten against a wall.  That he has the same injuries as if he was thrown off a 9 story building.  I asked if this has happen how come he doesn't have any bruising.  There saying it happened right before he was brought to the hospital.  And just because you have an injury, don't mean you will bruise from it.  Hello, he's 5 weeks old and they say there1 fracture is old and 3 are fresh fractures.  He fell off my nephew almost 3 weeks ago.  And his grandfather went over and checked him, he seemed to be fine, he was alert and responsive.  Ate well, and stayed awake and slept, woke up fine... .  Also, if he has injuries that looks as if he was beaten against against a wall and injuries that would equal if he had been thrown off a building, you can't tell me he wouldn't have a bruise or his head be mush.  They said he's got brain damage, but the neuro doc said there is no way of determining that until he gets older.  (they said that about my boys being premie too and there fine). 

They called to check oh him today before court and they were told he was still on a respirator, wasn't tracking and was very bad off.  Funny after we got the ok to go see him, we found out differently.  He was wide awake, and his eyes followed us every where around the bed.  He was on the respirator, but breathing on his own.  They took that out tonight.  He's on no meds like social services said he was.  Very alert, and focusing on everything.  My nephew and his girlfriend can only be in the room with him if one of the supervisors grandparents are in the room.  Everyone else can go.  But it was brought up in court that no one had gone to see him that the no contact order was only against the parents.  Then when the lawyer said, no that is not correct, that we were told no one could go in, they said its because they suspect all caregivers.  The lawyer said that is slander and they changed their tune.

They're wanting to put him in temp foster care, for medically fragille child.  My sister is fighting that tooth and nail.  We can understand them not wanting the parents around, but to blame everyone.  Even me, he's only been in my house one time and that was at my fathers b-day and that was the Sept 7.  I held him for about 5 minutes, I was busy cooking and stuff.  How can they say I am a caregiver i've never even changed a diaper or given him a bottle.  But any way, a big hurdle was made today...we found out he's doing very well, that they were giving us false in-accurate information.  Also, that my sister may get temp custody....it helps her being in the medical field and with my having gone though what I did with my premie twins.  I've helped alot by asking lots of questions, some of which you could tell it blew their minds wondering how I would know to ask some of these questions. 

I think one mistake was that he wasn't taken to the hospital after the car wreck. Social services said he it was said he slept through it, how do they know it knock him out.  They were rearended and did over 4000.00 damage to the car.  We can get whiplash, I'm sure it had to have flung that  babies head about.   But I still think they are adding things to this.  If this baby is in as bad of condition as they said, he wouldn't be doing this great.  There talking about moving him to a reg room tomorrow.  Talk about miricale meds....I want some of them if it heals that quick, maybe it will help my hurting bones...hmmmm.

The laywer said that they really don't have a case, and there just trying to make it look bad, like us not going to seem him.   Its like they have a triangle trying to fit a round peg into.  Trying to make something out of nothing, when it seems to be an accident.  I sure hope he is right. 

I'll be glad when this whole mess is over and he's back home where he belongs.

Thanks for all your prayers, I know they have helped.  Looked what happened from yesterday till today.  Things seemed to be so much better today. 

The lawyer is going to supena the medical records and have the doc make a despitistion.  Things are just turning for the good.  The things they've told over the phone just don't seem to be true at all. 

Kimberly

Oh, for got to say that some of the nurses and staff felt so sorry for the baby having no one there.  They said they were going to hold him tonight, that they couldn't believe that no one had came to see him.  They had a ballon, stuffed animal, a home made blanket, couple toys, ummm and a cd for him to listen too.  When we explained why we weren't there and we did love him very much.  They all said we see.  We all just cried when when we were looking at him.  Everyone also go to hold him tonight. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 08:24:47 PM by Ky Kim »

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Re: My family needs a prayer (updated Oct 11)
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 09:48:32 PM »
Ky Kim, I'm so sorry all this is going on. I can't believe the nerve of some of those people. I really hope the little guy heals up good, and that the Big Brother stops harassing your family.
You have my prayers.

I had an incident when my daughter was 9 months old, she was miserable so we took her to the hospital (had just moved here and didn't have a Pediatrician yet). They put her through h*ll: X-rays, exams by several Docs, took her away for a bit, the third degree (Spanish Inquisition- like), they asked us every detail of her entire life, the whole shebang. Their final determination was that she had a cold! I'm disgusted (still) that they subjected her to all that radiation and traumatization- all for a "cold". Meanwhile, people are torturing their own kids and killing them and it is not being caught.  :'( What gives?
I feel very guilty that I didn't catch that myself and save the thousand dollars plus the added humiliation. But I guess when you have a little baby, it's always worry, worry, worry. (8:-)
My son, on the other hand, should have been born with FULL BODY ARMOUR.  Plus a titanium helmet.  :o ::) >:( He is fearless, and it shows. :( I'm very thankful that my Pediatrician acknowledges that.  ;) Get it on record if your Great Nephew turns out to be a little daredevil.

80% of deaths in the US occur in a hospital. No wonder!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 09:55:38 PM by karen J »
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 04:58:22 AM »
I'm glad to hear that he is better than they said and pray that he improves day by day. I'll keep you all in my prayers.

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 07:28:32 AM »
This all sounds so very traumatic for everyone involved.  I sure hope for everyone's sake that it is resolved quickly and that the baby recovers and gets to go home soon!

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 09:01:27 AM »
Horrible situation!  Seems that Social Services only deals with situations in extremes - either they do nothing, or go overboard, wasting their resources.
Not meaning to be critical here - but you've got to admit that when the hospital personell were told that the baby fell to the floor, and was not brought in to be checked out, they were right to be suspect something.  A 2 week old baby hitting it's head on a solid floor is not a good thing... And then a car accident a couple of weeks later.  If the hospital hadn't calling in Social Services they would have been negligent.  But then Social Services has no right to blow things our of perportion, make up lies, and manipulate the truth!  But they did have a duty and a right to "protect" the baby.  Just not so extreme!  We would all be horrified if they did nothing, and this turned out to be abuse.  We've all read the news reports where some poor child was brought into the hospital with horrific injuries, from years of abuse.  And we all say "how could this have gone so far?  Why didn't anybody do something?" But it sure would be nice if the Social Services would get, and check the facts before they over react. 
Everybody knows that a person, young or old will heal better and faster with their loved ones around them! I'm so glad you all are able to see your grand nephew now!  It will do him a world of good!
I'm so sorry your family is going thru all of this... especially that little baby that needs you now.
I'm thinking good thoughts for you and your family, Kim!
Tammie
**Just read over what I wrote and want to make it clear that in no way am I suggesting that this was anything but a accident!  Just wanted to point out that Social Services had to get involved, and that I feel Social Services is going to far!**
Tammie, again

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 01:31:35 PM »
Kim, I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Can you tell me how they are diagnosing these fractures? X-rays? CT scans?
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 03:03:39 PM »
Your right Tammi, I agree standard protocol, but they've just went to extreme.  I would have taken him immediatly to the hospital being that young.  I do hope this is all it is was an accident.  If I was to ever find out differently, I think I would have to  &-) them.

Jessica, they did a CT when he was having the siezures.  They said they've done more, he has had a brain wave ran, they said they really can't tell if he has anything wrong or not because of his age.  I did notice today, he kept looking to the left.  I was working with his tracking, and he did track but as soon as I would stop he would look to the left.  He might have been looking at a light, hope that's all it is.

I held him today, and I got to give him a bottle.  He wanted to go to sleep during that, the nurse said he needs to drink that from the bottle to get that NG tube out of his nose.  I said no problem, I uncovered him a little, and he just wanted to hold the bottle in his mouth but I kept messing with it.  Then I took it back out of his mouth and that woke him up, he sucked 2 ounces with no problem looking for more, so they let him have another ounce.

Kim
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 04:32:25 PM by Ky Kim »

Offline kaz

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2006, 05:08:50 PM »
So sorry Kim... sending positive thoughts your way.  Flipping social workers... they have become too trigger happy (well over here they are).

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2006, 08:38:42 AM »
Good to hear things are looking up. o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2006, 08:58:50 AM »
Over my lifetime I fortunately have only had two or three dealings with social services.  They involved my wife and I wanting to adopt a baby, an employee who had been accused by her ex-husband and step-father of their daughter of allowing the 8 year old (who was diagnosed with gonorrhea) to be abused (It turned out that the step-father ex-husband was the abuser), and dealing with health issues of my aging parents.  I also have had many friends who had first hand experiences with Social Services administrations in several different states.  All were "living nightmares".  I am convinced that SSA's ALWAYS get it wrong.  Kids who are abused are given back repeatedly to the abusers, and where no abuse existed, children were taken way from their loving parents and place for adoption.  The SSA personnel are totally incompetent, arrogant, and blockheaded.  If anyone out there is employed by social services, I am sorry if I have offended you, but the horrendous hell SSA's put citizens through is completely unwarranted. I suspect it stems in large part from giving the power to jerk people around that even the police do not have to people with a high school education and little if any training.

Kim, My heart goes out to you and your family in having to suffer this indignity.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 02:00:14 PM »
Well, today was a sad day for us.  He went to his foster parents.  The social workers came into his hospital room and said we had 30 minutes to say our goodbyes.  Then we all had to leave him in the hospital bed and leave, then the foster parents would come in a get him. 

The baby's father and grandfather did get to meet the foster parents who will be taking care of him.  The man is a Preacher, and they said his wife was really nice.  They have had foster children for 40 years. 

Now CPS, has turned the case over to Social Services and they are working on getting him back with, at least the grandparents.  If the CPS worker would have ever returned a call, it all might have gotten started sooner.

They have labeled this baby medical fragille.  They have now said he has 4 skull fractures, and a fracture in his femur in his left leg, which they said looks as if it came from the car wreck.  He's been there 14 days, and today they decided it needed a cast today???  Then about 45 minutes later another doc came in and someone will be down to take him to orthopedics shortly.  A couple hours went by and nothing, then finally they came in and said.  Since he's not in any pain, that they decided not to cast it.  Nothing has made any since with any of this.  I think its one of those things where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. 

Right now, he is in foster care.  They were suppose to give the parents contact numbers so they can have visitation, and a list of follow-up appointments.  They're suppose to be able to go to these.  They had no numbers, no way of contacting the people.  They had called this cps worker all week long, with no return call.  Then we saw her in the hall today and she said that she was on another case and didn't have time to talk.  WHAT???  >:(-  If this baby had the severe injuries that they said he did, permanet brain damage on one side, 4 skull fractures, subdumal hematomas, retinal bleed, fratured leg.....he sure healed fast.  They checked his hearing because they said he was deaf from all of this, he passed it with flying colors, along with his eyes.  Something just doesn't add up, it makes no since at all. 

Any way, they've told us that the grand-parents should be able to get him next Wed.  (5 days from now, what difference does 5 days make)  but anyway, the parents of the baby can move into their house, and live.  They can be around the baby, but at bed time the baby has to sleep in the grandparents room.  During the day when the grandparents work, someone on the supervisor list has to be at the house, to watch the parents watch the baby.  I guess this is better than him living in foster care. 

I took a small video clip of the baby today.  Check it out, and remember its his left leg that suppose to be broke.  This baby has been so happy the past week.  The clip is in my photobucket, and he's 6 weeks old now.

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d158/KyKim/

Everyone, please say a prayer tonight that he gets to a family member soon.

Kim
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 02:07:57 PM by Ky Kim »

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Re: My family needs a prayer (updated again OCT 19)
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006, 03:00:43 PM »
Kim, it's time to get a lawyer!!  Right now.  Enough.  I'm thinking that the baby needs to get a full medical checkup now!  To find our what is and isn't there. 
Tammie

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2006, 03:29:20 PM »
Kim, this just breaks my heart. Do what Tammie said, get a lawyer fast! The run around you guys have been through is beyond ridiculous!!!!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2006, 04:40:46 PM »
Hospitals are scarey too. I watched them come in to help my dad out of bed or turn over and they would reach for his crushed shoulder and I'd jump in to remind them of the bad shoulder. Then the next guy would threaten to tie his hand to his waist to keep him from using it. I don't know.

Sorry Kim for all the fuss. Isn't that baby just a little doll? And that leg doesn't look like it is giving him any pain at all.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2006, 06:42:58 PM »
There's already a lawyer involved.  They called and found one the next morning when this all started.  Its just a big old bunch of s***, if you ask me.  The parents will have to take parenting classes.  That won't hurt at all, parenting classes wouldn't hurt anyone with their first baby.

Kim

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 07:00:07 PM »
Parenting classes never hurt anyone, but I have to agree about the lawyer.  You need someone fighting for that baby's rights.  He has a right to his family. . . whether it is his parents or grandparents or uncles and aunts or whatever.  It's time there was someone looking out for his best interests.

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2006, 08:46:47 PM »
What a beautiful little baby. Kinda makes me want to have another one.  ;) Not.

Yup, Do what Tammie says.
My little guy rolled over at 3 days. The pediatrician didn't believe it when I told her; she looked at me and laughed- "that's impossible!" she said. Then, he rolled over on the exam table and she was floored. I demanded that it be written on his chart, she disagreed, then finally wrote it down when he did it again.
From then on, I had to be super careful- no changing table (could only change diapers on the floor), and 100% supervision 110% of the time. My kid is fearless and has flown down a flight of stairs several times. Good thing I never got a walker! :o

My point is to get that kind of stuff documented by your pediatrician. Sure, a car accident may cause some damage- but the baby himself may also cause some damage. A fearless baby can inflict fractures on him/her self and not even blink an eye. So in that respect, a parenting course may help to inform the parents that 110% supervision is required.

I also agree with Johns "Kids who are abused are given back repeatedly to the abusers, and where no abuse existed, children were taken way from their loving parents and place for adoption."

There have been so many examples of that in our local media that it's become tragic. There was a lawyer Mom who left her sleeping child in the car seat to go and pick up photos at a photo shop only 10 feet from where she parked her car (locked it). Her child was taken away.
To contrast that, a tiny baby was thrown out a 3rd story window after several DCFS reports that the child had been repeatedly beaten and starved, yet given back to the parents with no investigation.

It's disgusting.

Please keep records and document everything. That cute little baby deserves it.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"