Author Topic: Fairy Gardens....MORE PIX ADDED  (Read 4632 times)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Fairy Gardens....MORE PIX ADDED
« on: July 29, 2008, 05:13:03 PM »
Didn't someone make a fairy garden in a dish last year and post th epics here? I think it may have been Kat?
I'm thinking of making some fairy cottages with my kids, to make a fairy village outside. Any source ideas, or ways to make cool, natural (and cheap!) fairy dwellings? I was thinking of making a bsic box and then covering with mortar and gravel for stone cottages.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 02:17:20 PM by perplexed ponder »
Kathy

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Fairy Gardens....
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 05:28:33 PM »
if interested in this topic, check out this link to an artist that makes houses. They are incredible! I am gonna have to try this!
http://www.fairywoodland.com/gallery.php
Kathy

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:59:29 PM »
That's a nice link.  I made some miniture gardens last year.  One of them is pretty wild right now, I need to thin out some of the plants.  But I believe your right about it being KAT.  Has all kinds of cuties within her mini garden. 

I've tried without success with mini hosta's.  I got some recently off of ebay, and they haven't grown for me either.  I guess I give on having them.

I want to make a spot in my yard for the mini/fairy gardens.  I still want just a door, to put at the bottom of my deck.  I don't have a tree big enough for one.

I find them so enchanting.  I just love miniatures, I have a miniture greenhouse.  I've made fimo flowers, and I've bought a bunch too.

I have another kit to build for another mini-greenhouse.  Waiting till it gets cooler out to start on it.  Will give me something to do during the winter.  Right now, I'll just keep making the flowers, to be able to fill it.

Have you checked on ebay for fairy stuff?

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 05:07:34 AM »
Kim,

Do you have access to Alpine plants at a nursery near you? They are miniature plants. They have shrubs that only get about 8 inches high. I had one near my pond that my dumb dog kept stepping on and eventually killed. They would be perfect for a fairy garden.

I am hoping to attmept a stone wall today if we have some mortar in the garage. I think if I add the fibergalss fibers it would be strong enough.
Kathy

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 05:08:13 AM »
If I remember right... www.collectionsetc.com has a lot of fairy stuff...cheap
just do a search for fairy

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 05:14:00 AM »
Lynn T sells fairy garden things. I have her email address I will ask her if she still sells it.

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 06:26:48 AM »
Here is Lynn T's link

TheGardenFairy@comcast.net

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 10:09:39 AM »
There was a thread over on Koiphen eariler in the year where a few people had made mini gardens. I'm not sure if they considered them fairy gardens. Someone had taken one of the small plastic kiddie pools and had made this really cool mini garden out of it.
This is one I made in a container. I call it my gnome bowl. I saw something similar to it at a local nursery so I did my own thing with a large bowl that I had. I keep making small changes to it and adding to it. The Desert Rose to the left is blooming this week.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 10:40:26 AM by Desertponder »
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 05:30:12 PM »
 O0

Shanna, that is adorable!
I went out with my Mom today to Frankenmuth, Mi. There is a miniature store there and a store that sells all fairy stuff! They had some fairy garden accessories and some flower fairies too. The lady at the miniature store clued me into a store about a half hour from me, that she says I MUST visit. I'll be heading out there next week!

I made a little garden arbor this morning and tomorrow I'm going to attempt the beginnings of a house.

The collectionsetc site had some cute floating fairies I may have to order!

I'll post some pics when I get something together.
Kathy

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 06:16:17 PM »
I took a piece of treated wood tonite and made a gnome/fairy door.  My neighbor saw one in one of my magazines and wants one.  He has no idea I'm making it for him.  I'm going to take a screw and put fimo clay on the end for the door knob, and use my wood burning thiny to burn groves in the door to make it look like little boards.  Hope it turns out alright.  If not, I'll throw it in the fire pit.  I got my idea off of ebay, I put in gnome doors and went from there.

What did you make your arbor out of?  I can't wait to see the pics.

Kim
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:20:27 PM by Ky Kim »

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 06:42:32 PM »
Kim,

Made the arbor out of wire that was covered in paper so it looks like twigs (Joann etc) and cut pieces of silk plants with tiny leaves, and wired it together for a leafy vine. Added some reindeer moss too.

Your gnome door sounds great! Post pics please! Ann Arbor Mi, has fairy doors by all the businesses downtown. I think I will take the kids there before school starts to see them. I'll take pics if we go!

I looked up the other store and it's a really easy drive from here. I may not be able to wait until next week! haha!
Kathy

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Fairy Gardens....picture added
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 05:09:57 PM »
 Here's the first fairy house, almost finished, needs a door.
Kathy

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Fairy Gardens....pictures added
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 05:11:42 PM »
closer shot
Kathy

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 06:04:40 PM »
Kathy, that is so cute.

About where are you located? Do you ever get to Grand Rapids?

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 12:46:52 AM »
Oh, you did a great job on it.  I want one..........Ok, were is our step by step turtorial?

Kim

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 04:12:43 AM »
Esther, I'm in Waterford (near the Pontiac Silverdome and the palace of Auburn Hills). Can't say when I have been to grand rapids, been a real long time if I've ever been there.

Kim,
thanks! I am working on a better way. I used a wood bird house and a plastic jar for the base, and a syrrafoam cone for the top. I used concrete with reinforcing fibers and pea gravel and just covered it all. The roof was done with dollhouse shingles and glued on one at a time.

I have been experimenting with resin, but it doesn't dry fast enough. (stuff from the auto store ) There must be some sort of epoxy or plasticy stuff that would work better. I wanted to form my own walls and buildings without the need for structures underneath. DH and Mom and I are trying to come up with something.

Last night I made some fimo flowers. I'll post those later today on this thread!
Kathy

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 03:29:09 PM »
Here is my little door I made my neighbor.

Nothing much, I did take some aquarium gravel and poured it, in front of the door to make it look like a porch.  Also, it helped to even it out.  The ground had a high spot and it worked out great.  Now, I'm making him a latteren to hang on a shepards hook.  I don't have a tree big enough, but I'm thinking about putting one by my pond, against my deck.  I'll figure out something.

Kim

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 03:44:58 PM »
Oh my gosh, that is completely adorable.  o(:-)

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 04:39:30 AM »
Kim that is ADORABLE! O0 Putting one at the base of your deck would be cute! I know all kinds of critters have lived under my deck, why not a gnome?!

I'm trying to figure out the settings on Mom's camera, and then I'll post pics of the flowers.
Kathy

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 09:15:03 AM »
Wow!  I'm amazed at all the talent here.  I'm still in awe over everyone's gardens... now come the arts and crafts  O0   ;)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 05:38:25 PM »
I put the house in a dish garden (patio firepit) with some Miniature plants (real) and flowers and plants I made from polymer clay.

First pic of the entire thing, then closer shots

Pictures of the pond I made on the other post I put up today.

Kathy

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 09:54:39 PM »
There's a lot of great talent and good eyesight out there in Pondersland!  Too cute!

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Fairy Gardens....NEW PICS
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 02:05:14 PM »
I've made a few more pieces for the garden.

I made the bluebird singing on the bench in these pics...
Kathy

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 02:07:38 PM »
Another House.....

And I added the fairy in the canoe to my upper pond

The fairy in the tire swing is near the pond hanging from the wisteria
Kathy

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 02:15:29 PM »
These are a few shots of anotehr mini pond, this one has an Egyptian theme. I made the frog the fairy is holding and the ibis, flowers, fish etc
i got sand on it, should have cleaned it off before I took the pics!
Kathy

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Fairy Gardens....New Pix
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 02:16:39 PM »
One more, a hummingbird and feeder i made by hydrangea shrub I also made.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 02:17:56 PM by perplexed ponder »
Kathy

Offline KatFish

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Fairy Gardens....MORE PIX ADDED
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 02:44:20 PM »
WOW!  Once again I am blown away with your work!  It must be wonderful finding all the little surprises in your garden.  Do you have any idea how much you could charge poor saps like me who have no talent for this sort of thing?  o(:-)  o(:-)

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 06:31:46 PM »
3 frogs
1 cat tails
3 blue birds
6 clumps of flowers
1 pond
1 house
1 arbor

Hey, where's the check out button.... Ooops I thought I was in a Ebay store.     :really:

Great job on your creations, you've got alot of talent there.   :thumbup:

I finally made a pot of flowers the other day, that I didn't end up smashing.  Also made daisy's but I gave them to my neighbor to put next to his little door.   ;)

Here is my little pot of violets?  That's what they are suppose to be anyway.  Tonight, my neighbor had moved his little daisy's while doing some weird thing to the door I made and his buddy stepped on them.  No more daisy's.   :cry:

They are sitting on my check book, zoomed in. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 12:03:04 PM by Ky Kim »

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 04:29:16 AM »

Hey guys, make me some offers! I need to pay for that new pump! haha!

I don't really know how much to charge. My sister in law saw my hummingbird feeder yesterday and said $25.  I am planning on putting some things up on ebay, probably next week. (I'll have more time when the kids are in school) They take me so long to make that there won't be too many at one time. SIL also suggested a site called ETSY.com, anyone ever been there? It's all craft items, run sort of like ebay stores. I might try that too.

I made replicas of my dogs and a couple of cats, I'll have to put pics of them up later.

OH NO!!! The poor daisies! I would be just sick. I bet your friend had a hard time even telling you about it.
Those violets are great!
Kathy

Offline KatFish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 07:22:05 AM »
The violets are adorable.  Gosh, I'd have no idea what to charge, but boy, they'd be worth it!  Gotta save my pennies, then maybe I can commission my very own work!  8-)~

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"