Author Topic: Growing tropical seedlings in the basement. large post with 7 pics  (Read 1744 times)

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
Well, its that time of the year again. every year i tell myself that i don't want to go thought the process of sprouting seeds and growing them under artificial conditions.

Yesterday, i planted some seeds that i got from pollinating some of my hybrids from last year. i was successful in getting many seed pods. the following is a brief run down on how i do it.

figure 1 is a successful pollination on a hybrid of my old raspberry sorbet, actually three on the same plant. when the pod is at this stage, i cover it with a piece of black panty hose to keep the seeds from scattering.

figure 2 shows the container trays that i grow the seed in.

figure 3 shows the bottom warming mat that i place under a 45 gallon rubbermaid container. this mat is a heavy duty one used in factories to warm the workers feet on cold concrete.

figure 4 shows the amount of seed that i gather from one large pod. use the quarter for size. the pile of seed is about 1/8 inch high.

figure 5 shows the seed trays filled with white sand. its so easy to place and space the black seed on white sand. note the white indent tags.

figure 6 shows the seed tray in the bottom of the tank and the warm water slowly rising over the seeds. you must be cautious as to not disturb the seeds.

figure 7 shows the container with the grow light on it. i use three of the purple type of grow light and its on for 16 hours a day. bottom heat keeps the water at between 80 - 85 degrees F. i also have a stainless aquarium heater for backup.

it usually takes less than 2 weeks for the seeds to sprout. they will remain in the basement until late march when i bring them up to a small greenhouse and a temporary growing tank.

in the past i have just scattered the seeds over a 8 inch azalea pot and then had difficulty separating the roots. with this tray system, i can thin the seedlings to just one per slot and its easy then to transplant.

if you have any questions, i will be glad to answer.

louis

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
Re: Growing tropical seedlings in the basement. large post with 7 pics
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 02:57:55 PM »
Good information Louis, especially with the photos. I'm setting up my sunroom and greenhouse this week. I was planning to use similar trays to yours for starting my seeds(they work well for the Victorias as well)  but couldn't decide if I should use sand or soil. So sand it will be.
I will be using an aquarium in the sunroom to starts the seeds. How long do you leave yours in the small trays? Where do you move them to and when do you start fertilizing the yound plants?
Good luck with your seeds. I will look forward to seeing your babies from Rasberry Sorbet. It's such a pretty plant.
It is a lot of work starting seeds indoors and keeping them alive through the winter.
Was it you that had a bad experience using a waterbed heater in your grow tubs? I have been using one successfully for two winters now and hope to again this year. Just always a bit leery after hearing someone had a fire with one.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 06:02:47 PM »
Good information Louis, especially with the photos. I'm setting up my sunroom and greenhouse this week. I was planning to use similar trays to yours for starting my seeds(they work well for the Victorias as well)  but couldn't decide if I should use sand or soil. So sand it will be.
I will be using an aquarium in the sunroom to starts the seeds. How long do you leave yours in the small trays? Where do you move them to and when do you start fertilizing the Yaounde plants?
Good luck with your seeds. I will look forward to seeing your babies from Raspberry Sorbet. It's such a pretty plant.
It is a lot of work starting seeds indoors and keeping them alive through the winter.
Was it you that had a bad experience using a waterbed heater in your grow tubs? I have been using one successfully for two winters now and hope to again this year. Just always a bit leery after hearing someone had a fire with one.

Maryvonne

Hi Mary, i leave the plantlets in the trays until they have a couple of pads that have surfaced. at that time i will start a mild fertilizer using a hypo syringe with a #12 needle. i inject a small amount of fish fertilizer under the plantlet. not too much or the water will turn green, this would indicate too much fertilizer.  i move them to a 4 inch pot usually around late january and then to a temporary growing tank  in mid march.

yes it was me who had the fire with the water bed heater. i was disappointed, they did work good, but i think the weight of the water caused the malfunction.
hope this helps.

lou

Offline gander

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 06:23:20 PM »
thanks Louis I hope I can find a seed pod before its too late. I would like to try a few this winter.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"