Author Topic: Olympic lotus  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
Olympic lotus
« on: August 03, 2008, 02:07:26 AM »
I was reading an article in the LA Times about China spiffing everything up for the Olympics and this picture was there. 

Workers carry plants to the waterfront near the "Bird's Nest" Olympic stadium in Beijing. As part of its colossal pre-Games makeover, the city also ordered 40 million pots of flowers.

I wonder if they will be blooming in time for the games.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Re: Olympic lotus
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 09:20:54 AM »
Pretty.

Some of the stadiums I've seen photos of look like they are from a sci fi movie.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 04:21:43 PM »
40 MILLION??

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 07:08:17 PM »
A friend of mine who is charge of the lotus project at Auburn U, the official registrar for Nelumbo came back from China just before the IWGS Symposium. He had pix of the hundreds of thousands of lotus pots being placed as they were still doing construction on some of the event sites. It was pretty amazing.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 10:12:57 PM »
Do you think they have it timed right so they will all be blooming?  What a feat!  I'd love to see pics of that.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 10:40:12 PM »
hey johanna have you found some aquatic plants in merida?
hope you have those lotus are amazing
espero que si huh
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 10:47:37 PM »
I did find an Aquaparque in Mérida, lots of beautiful tropical water lilies.  I haven't found any lotus yet.  There are some specialty nurseries in the city that I have not gone to see yet, some of them have water gardens.  So, perhaps I will find lotus.  If not, when I go north the next time I might be tempted to put some lotus tubers under the seat in a bag or in the refrigerator.  I think it is legal as long as there is no soil attached.  If lotus will grow in the heat here then I think there will be a nursery that has them in Mérida. Espero que sí

You are in the north right?  Is it cold where you are? 

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 11:38:14 PM »
in mexico everythings legal as long as they dont see you with them, (cops) they might think it is just some kind of root only haha, well a friend of mine that lives in mexico city bought lots of seed from ebay and she got a lot of them like 300 lotus seeds plus some tropical ones, so she even said she saw one in some nurseries but they were like 1200 pesos so thats a lot though, anyhow yes i live north, but it isnt cold right now we are so darn hot right now almos burnin up, but in winter it barely gets cold maybe like in the 60's or so

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 12:29:14 AM »
I'm not paying $1200 pesos, that's for sure!  If it costs that much then I will "import" them however.   I think that if they were in the refrigerator in my RV the aduana would just think they are some weird vegetable that gringos eat.  Ja!

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 08:20:06 AM »
yeah well i imported some lilies {:-P;; hhaha but you know we as mexican never get a revision so, i did it and nobody knew so, if you need one sometime ill send it to you i have small divisions of sioux, well i will have so if you need so
and yeah i would not pay that either, but im sure if you go to that aquatic park in merida and and get close to someone there im sure youll have some or they will give you some haha, thats how we mexicans are haha jk i got my mexican citizenship like 10 years ago so i was living like an illegal alien but nobody cared though haha

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"