Author Topic: Bloom Sequence  (Read 1782 times)

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Bloom Sequence
« on: October 11, 2006, 04:36:52 PM »
This may have been best posted in 'Hybridizing How to's', but I started it here and may as well forge ahead.

I get asked fairly often why flowers on the same plant 'look different' and so I thought I'd get pictures of the bloom sequence while I still have an abundance of flowers.  The water temps have dropped from the mid -90's to the low 80's and the show of flowers is noticeably tapering off.

Anyhow, here are the first, second and third day flowers on Dr. Pring's cultivar N. 'Director George T. Moore'.

The first day the stamen are upright and the nectar cup full of fluid and fully exposed to the pollinators.  It is on the first day that the stigma are most receptive to pollen.

On the second, the stamen fold over and prevent access to the stigma.  The business at hand on the second day is pollen production as fertilization of the ovaries should have been completed on the first day flower.

The third day, the flower is a mess!..  Most stamen have retracted and can offer viable pollen if it has not all been stripped by the bees, but the nectar cup, while exposed, is dry and no longer trying to attract bees.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Bloom Sequence
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 05:11:28 PM »
Very interesting and informative Craig, thankyou. Now I will look more closely at my own blooms :)
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 06:10:11 PM »
Thanks for the lesson. I always wondered why sometimes it was closed like that. Next year I'll watch more closely for things like that.

Steve

My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 06:58:00 AM »
Very interesting Craig.  Thanks for taking the time to post both the photos and the explanation.  emm

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 07:38:30 AM »
Very interesting. I love learning about this stuff. Thanks for sharing your time and  knowledge.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 05:30:39 PM »
Awesome pix and info, once again, Craig! O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline gander

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 06:26:46 PM »
How do you collect the pollen Craig? I know how to do it on Roses but not on lilies. At least the ones I have tried are not dusty like rose pollen is.

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 05:23:24 AM »
Since I have so few lily blooms, I look at them closely when I do get them.  I had noticed some of what you mentioned on lily blooms here . . . the open nectar cup full and empty and the closed stamen.  It's very nice to actually have an explanation as to what's going on . . .

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 09:17:40 PM »
Very informative Craig.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"