Author Topic: Kitty Litter as plant medium  (Read 1542 times)

Offline RiJe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 31/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Kitty Litter as plant medium
« on: August 05, 2008, 08:57:54 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've recently decided to try my hand at planting some aqua plants and was told that I could use untreated cat litter as a medium.  I've also read other articles about clay, fertilizer, soil and pea gravel.  Are their specific ratios that should be used or is it a guesstamation? ?)(?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Kitty Litter as plant medium
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 10:33:06 AM »
For any potted marginals in my pond I just use plain ol' clay, straight from the yard (I have plenty now that I dug a new pond!  :D ) and then top it with about an inch or less of pea gravel.  Pretty inexpensive if you ask me.  AND the plants grow very well with a bit of fertilizer added to the clay or sticks inserted when I want to see more flowers!!

Offline RiJe

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 10:41:05 AM »
Thanks....I dont have clay in my yard but it shouldnt be too hard to find.  Gracias O0

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 10:44:55 AM »
You can use whatever topsoil you have in your yard too.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline RiJe

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 11:16:18 AM »
Thanks, I'll try that

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 12:08:14 PM »
For the first time I tried the kitty litter. Always before I purchased clay from my water gardening store. I didn't like the kitty litter because it didn't hold the plant down like the clay. The clay packed together nicely.

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 07:07:32 PM »
I mix topsoil & the clay kittylitter in the red bags from wal-mart mix in some osmacoat and top with gravel to keep the fish from digging it up.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 07:14:42 PM »
That's what I do. Although I frequently mix a little sand in, or top the pot with sand instead of gravel. The sand keeps the clay down. I have clay out in the yard, but don't trust it in the pond. I know the previous owners used lots of chemicals.

No matter what you decide, that Osmocote rocks!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline RiJe

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 06:55:24 AM »
That's what I do. Although I frequently mix a little sand in, or top the pot with sand instead of gravel. The sand keeps the clay down. I have clay out in the yard, but don't trust it in the pond. I know the previous owners used lots of chemicals.

Osmocote plant food?  Does it matter what kind? And would sand affect the fish in the tank?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 06:57:34 AM by RiJe »

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 08:33:22 AM »
Hey, that's what I'll do. I'll mix the kitty litter with the clay and see how that works. Hate to waste it.

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 09:06:47 AM »

Osmocote plant food?  Does it matter what kind? And would sand affect the fish in the tank?

Any of the "cote" type fertilizers will work, they are slow release. It's better to get the one for 'veggies' than the one for 'green plants' (when looking at the NPK higher P, lower N). Schultz also makes a 'cote' I believe, as well as "Expert" brand. My Expert bottle is 17-17-17.

If there are fish, they will root around in the sand. I don't use gravel because when the fish root around they would get gravel stuck in their mouths. I have one hardy water lily that refuses to stay in it's pot, even if I put large rocks on top.
Karen

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 09:11:49 AM »
That's true for my pond too.  I just tried the kitty litter method (no fertiliser) with sand on top.  Those silly fishies said oh, boy, underwater sandbox to play in  >:(-  *sigh* Better luck next time  {:-P;;

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 09:42:22 AM »
I wonder if wire would work? String the wire over the rhizome & tie to the sides. Sometimes you see orchids wired to their pots.

The one lily that wouldn't stay put is "Patio Joe". It's very much like Colorado. So this year I gave up and just let it take over the bottom of the pond. The thing is a monster.  :) But I love it.
Karen

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 11:09:19 AM »

I did use sand but I stopped this year, the lily gets no value from it so it was just an heavy filler. And I started using bigger rocks on top to keep the fish out, the wakins don't bother them as bad as the other fish.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"