Author Topic: Your site owner is NOT happy. BUT, getting happier by the minute!  (Read 8987 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Most of you know about the bickering going on here. Most of you don't know how many PMs I get.
Neither Sean or I have time for this.  Believe it or not I run a major business and my days are filled with Lawyers & Accountants. As many of you know I have been persuing a new career to boot. I cannot have my head full of this nonsense.
I need to be Clear Headed!  The "trash talking" that goes on here is enervating and upsetting,
"CC" thanks for recognizing my comment about not taking the bait.  It is so simple.  if you think someone is really evil or nasty. let them alone. Their "colors" will show and they will be booted!
Let me and Sean handle it!  We don't need any help!
Using epithets is not OK!
I can pull the plug on the forum and, believe me, I do consider it. There are just too many great people here I would disappoint and hurt, thus, we are still here.
"We" cant view all the posts, but if a post is Demeaning, crude, or overly argumentative, it will be deleted.
Can you imagine what a new member must think in seeing some of these battles?  Not good.
I hope you all can take this as intended. It is a wake up call.  We can have the best forum of it's kind here, all we need do is rise above the bickering.
 :hug:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 04:59:38 PM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Your site owner is NOT happy.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 07:26:29 AM »
I haven't participated in any of the argument, but I will say that as a non-involved party, it seems apparent that all of the trouble has been caused by one obvious person.  The same person who in my opinion made a bad impression from the start.  I hate to think that all the kind people on this forum would be punished for the antics of one person.  I love this forum and have met so many wonderful people here.  And this is the forum I consider my "home" or "primary" forum because of the focus on water gardening, and because of the kind atmosphere.  I admit I have been hesitant to post pictures lately because of the risk of being hit by mud being slung at me all the way from Hong Kong.  Sorry if this post only adds to the tension or is considered inappropriate.  I just feel as a forum regular, that I had to speak my mind and question why it seems all the kind people (especially those who are long-time, always-friendly, hugely-contributing members) are being chastised for the negative behavior of one.  Why not just remove the worm from the apple?  Constructive criticism or questions are one thing, but insults are another.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 07:40:02 AM by joeyb5980 »
Joey

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 07:35:56 AM »
I once frequented another forum that is quite large, and full of "experts".  In trying to learn about ponding, I asked many questions and got many answers...we all know the drill: lots of rocks/no rocks; bottom drain/no bottom drain; UV/no UV; submersible pump/external pump; lots o' fish/limited fish; and the list goes on.  While there, I was told by one guy that I was "too lazy to build the pond the right way" and it was suggested I have strictly a water garden, and there were others who told me what equipment I "must" buy and how cheap I was being by not spending the $10-15K that I didn't have to begin with to build the pond the right way.  I simply told them not to get mad at me just because I wasn't building their pond in my yard, and after a few more insults I left and asked to be banned so I wouldn't ever feel the urge to go back there.

It's no different with any other forum, and I'll use my parrot as an example: I've been told by the "know it all's" that I've been malnutritioning and abusing my parrot because of the life he lives.  His last check up was "just about perfect" according to one of the best avian vets in southern california.  But people still swear that I'm doing wrong by him...and I've left those forums as well because they don't like the fact that my low maintenance approach disputes their high maintenance attitudes.  What works for me may not work for others, but does that mean I can't share what I've learned?  I've owned a parrot now for over 15 years...my girlfriend thinks I'm an expert, I just tell her I'm experienced at owning one bird: mine.

The bottom line is that everyone is an expert with what they have, but very few are an expert at what everyone else has.  What works for one won't work for another, and even though some people think they have all the answers it's rare that they actually do.  Sadly, because of the experts who aim to shoot down everyone who doesn't do what they've done, I have added this disclaimer to my own pond site:
DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein applies to my own pond in my own yard.  If you use this site to construct your pond, please understand you do so at your own risk.  I assume no liability for problems you may encounter, this is simply what worked for me.
It's sad that people take things so seriously that they get all butt hurt when someone tries another approach.  Where I work, we have been doing what we do for over 50 years, and believe me we are far more advanced from when our product was simply handwritten on notepad and photocopied for the customers prior to the business idea being acknowledged.  Even still, I occasionally 'rock the boat' at work and we constantly make improvements that even the hardest of heads can wrap around.  I'm a senior editor at work and have over 23 years in the industry, so I am expected to know what I'm doing.  When asked if I think I have all the answers, or the best ideas, my general response is "God I hope not", because it is in my mindset that there has to be someone smarter than me, and if I have the best or only answers then they just don't pay me enough.

If all else fails, just remember not to rent space in your head to anyone, least of all, a name on your computer screen.  As Jerry Springer would say, "until then ... take care of yourself, and each other".
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 08:01:45 AM »
I appreciate you replies.
Some things cannot be resolved. Many here feel there is nothing wrong with Cedric's posts.
I don't find them awful, sure a bit know-it-all and often condescending.
Most do object to his attitude.   Michael we can agree and we can be sincere and respectful of others feelings. I know you concur.
Joey, I know how you feel,  It's my home too. Of course constructive criticism is welcome.
I Learned a long time ago not to react instantly. One usually regrets it.  I did this time,but it had to be said.  Let it sink in for 24 hours and be amazed how your opinion has mellowed.
I initially locked this topic, but decided we need this topic out in the open.
What we must do is keep this form a civil place!
If my post sounded terse. It was meant to. At my age I don't need to be up all night fretting over this stuff!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 08:09:14 AM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 08:05:53 AM »
I agree with Joey.  8)
I feel punished.  :'(

24 hours?  ?)(?
It's gonna take me a lot longer than that. :-\
Don't wanna be a reason for pulling the plug.... :no:
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 08:29:44 AM »
I must be pretty dense. I have read all that stuff and the socalled "offensive" stuff went right over my head. It wasn't until there were touchy replies that I wondered what I missed. So I went back and reread the thread  top to bottom and still couldn't figure out what I might be that upset about. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Or maybe I don't want to see what others see.

The interesting thing about the written word is that we cannot see body language, hear voice tone, or most of all know what the speaker truly intends by what was said. So when assumptions are made, it's a dangerous place to go. Let me tell you how I know. More than once in our 24 years of marriage, my wonderful husband has said something that I misunderstood and I snapped at him in reply only to learn I was way out of line and boy did I feel stupid to have to apologize. And in those situations, I had the advantage of hearing his tone, and seeing his body language and I still caused a blowup that wouldn't have had to happen if I wouldn't have been so quick to jump to conclusions or kept my mouth shut. I maybe could have asked a simple question rather than assume he was criticizing me or picking on me.

Maybe we are too quick to take offense, or too sure we are right and too happy to point out where someone else is wrong  (In our humble opinion) LOL. What is cool about being right, is that we can let the guy who is wrong go on his happy way, thinking he's right and know we are right and he's wrong. Just because he won't change his mind doesn't make us look bad. It's him that looks bad. But when we start throwing mud, not only does he get dirty but so do we, cause the mud sticks to us too.

Sorry Jerry for the hubbub. Mercy, if I ever start something, just slap me up side the head.  {nono}

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 08:48:17 AM »
I should point out just two other things :)  Just to clarify, I didn't just pop on and see the comments and get mad and post my response above- I have been watching and observing the negativity for longer than 24 hours, and I still think it is inexcuseable to display that kind of attitude and negativity... Also, looking back, I should have said thank you again (don't say it enough) to Jerry and Sean for providing us with this site as a haven for water gardeners.  Thanks, guys!  I know it is a burden sometimes, but there is alot of enjoyment and knowledge that others get from the site, myself especially :)

Also, by the way, the post that contained the majority of the negative comments and started the whole thing has been deleted.  It is a shame that on a forum about water gardening, that a thread with so many photos of such beautiful lilies has had to be taken away because of slander and negativity. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 08:50:12 AM by joeyb5980 »
Joey

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 09:20:06 AM »
Jerry,

I am sorry that you are so upset. Please know that we apreciate all the hard work and time you put into this site. The generosity and sense of friendship here has been such a positive influence for me. I would really hate to see it removed.

To everyone else:
Like our Mothers always told us..."If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all"
Kathy

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 09:30:18 AM »
Joey, Kat's photos were re-posted, too beautiful to miss.
Perplexed I am perplexed too.  Sean deserves kudos too. his skills are many on this site.

Esther, I am like you, had to re-read seeking the problem.

I am off to Long Beach with a tummy ache, not in the mood at all, but I am closing 2 escrows this Friday.  I have no choice but to tough it out. :'(
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 10:02:53 AM »
I'm so sorry that there are problems. I'm very sorry Jerry, that you are so upset.
I do not actually know what is going on at this time.  :D  I've been trying to do less web surfing and more work.  :D

Cedric was mentioned and I do know that some objected to him quite awhile ago and my personal opinion was that there was a cultural difference problem going on. That the differences in British and American ways of speaking even though we use the same language are very different. I remember people being upset with John Disdale long ago for the same reason.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 10:55:29 AM »
 I come here for information (and Kat's and Lawanna's beautiful plants) :) I just don't read posts from the people that want to argue. It doesn't take much reading to figure that out.  I don't have time or inclination to put up with it. Jerry/Sean, I'm sorry you have to moderate that kind of behavior. This is a good site with lots of good people. Every once in a while we just need to be reminded of our manners and then get on with business. I would hate to lose this site. It's a good one.
Kay

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 11:27:02 AM »
i know jerry im not and oldie in this meaning that im new, so i just wanted to thank you because you have a wonderful site and a forum, hope you get better of your tummy ache, a long time ago i had a big ear problem but that still didnt make me to stop looking at this site meaning that this forum brings a little light to my life a sparkle that is always there, people in here have lots of knowledge, and that is so helpful for people that are just starting in this like me, i love to see kats pics because they are just so breath taking, i know theres some argue going on because if my lilies are better blah blah blah, where do you get them from, at last all the lilies will look the same, does not matter where do you live, if you live in the tropics if not, and you still sell and have tropicals, that is just so dumb, lilies are like children as long as you care for them they will smile back to you(meanind flower hehe o(:-)) so i just think this forum is so importan now and will be so important in the future, so thanks to all
i know kat i was so interested in you lilies but you dont send them to mexico, so hope everyone keeps fine and having those wonderful ponds, plants, fish, frogs and everything you have in there
so just letting you know this forum is so important for me even though i dont talk alot in the forum i sitll see it everyday
and sean you too congrats for such a wonderful forum
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 01:45:43 PM »
That was sweet Howell.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 03:11:03 PM »
Some people are more expressive than others.  Here everyone has the right to express their view and we have Jerry and Sean to thank for that ( o(:-))

This forum is premium to all of us who check in and learn or experience other's involvement in ponding, gardening or just life in general.  We're all a big fat friendly family here.  Please understand this is a forum where anyone can post their view whether we like or not.  There are many great posts we read and go on without a reply.  There are great posts where someone may reply negatively, please go past that post if your dagger is out. 

In the case mentioned before there probably is no changing someone's view or understanding...let it go, pass over it.  Good people were hurt here.  Absolutely unnecessary.

Sel o(ly I love this forum.  Everybody...SMILE!!!!  Like I've said before, 'beats paying for therapy!  :D

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 03:25:46 PM »
I was sorry I reacted to a few emails and made the post. Broke my rule about giving it 24 hours to sink in.
I am glad in a way because of the great comments by so many of you.
Esther, Howell, Kay, Lee Anne, Anette and more.  Too many positive mails to mention.
I should not have gotten so ticked off.

Wouldn't it be nice if a few others could say things like this?

I will leave this thread alone for a few days, then dump it.  As said above, it's time to move on.
 o(:-) o(:-) o(:-) o(:-) o(:-) o(:-) o(:-) o(:-) o(:-) o(:-) o(:-) o(:-) o(:-) o(:-) o(:-) o(:-) o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 03:42:09 PM »
yay
thanks esther, your pics are truly amazing too
jerry get better

happy ponding everyone o(

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 04:02:06 PM »
I think you two are the best!  :hug:  I would be so lost with out this forum.  I have met a few of you in person, and if it wasn't for this forum, that would have never happened.  I value the friendships I have made here.   o(:-) 

Trains go down tracks everyday, but every now and then they will jump off track.   It takes a real engine to put them back on that track, and that is you Jerry and Sean.  You two have done and outstanding job here.    :2thumbs:

o(:-) I sure hope you feel better soon, I love's ya man  o(:-) .   

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 04:14:26 PM »
Awww Jerry Sweeety....stick your feet in the pond, take some nice deep breaths, and relax....not to mention those fishies nibblin' on your toes will bring a smile to your face....Then keep in mind thats why you do  ;) ;) Big huggs to you and Sean for all you do  :hug: :hug: :hug:.....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 04:23:41 PM »
 :worship:  Jerry   :worship:  Sean   :worship:

Offline kamala

• Members
  • With us since: 26/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 04:25:48 PM »
Jerry and Sean,

I very seldom post, but I read and ogle almost every day.  This is the only forum I visit and comment on.  The other forums are full of rotten apples and debbie downers.  Americanponders has the most diverse and wonderful people with the most amazing ponds and sense of humor.  Please keep on doing such a wonderful and thankless job for all of us.  This site is awesome because of all the positive and uplifting people who share their problems, their triumphs and humor.  At the end of the day, everyone needs an "ahh" and "haha"  thankyou for providing them.

kamala

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 04:36:19 PM »
I hate to lose anyone from this forum, we all have different experiences and come from different places.  It is what makes it interesting in many ways.  I think Cedric contributes some good information.  I think he tends to talk down to people who disagree with him and that has caused me to rile and others too.  If we all respect the opinions of others and qualify our statements to make it clear that we are coming from OUR ponds and OUR experiences, then no one should get offended.  Sounds simple, but it isn't always. 

I too appreciate the work that Jerry and Sean do to keep this spot open.  Just keep in mind that it is human nature and that usually these things pass and all is well. 

Howell, ni modo. ¿verdad?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: Your site owner is NOT happy. BUT, getting happier by the minute!
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 05:10:01 PM »
AMEN, Jerry!!  &-) :tease:

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 05:14:55 PM »
hey joanna
well i didnt understand that though haha but let rewind myself ok, ya entendi joanna
love the pics from the merdia place omg i just cant believe that is mexico
yeah one time i ask in the carnivorous bog plant a question and as fast as i posted as fast as i recevied so much help from someone in there, that made my life easier
hey i will post some pics of a place in mexico here where i live theyve got lillies all year round the water is always hot something kinda like hotsprings, they told me they were some endemic lilies meaning that thats the only place theyve got them, i went last xmas and for my surprice was that they were blooming
well i know less talking and more pics

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 05:25:19 PM »
 OH SEAN!! I didn't leave you out on purpose!! So sorry! :hug:
Kathy

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 05:31:13 PM »
I have written five comments to this thread and ended up deleting each one because I am so PO'd at the mob mentality I saw with my own two eyes this morning. I have nothing good to say so I will say nothing more than to express how much I wish people would trust Jerry and I to deal with touchy situations rather than taking matters into their own hands by turning a topic into a flame war because they are not happy with someones comments.

I have nothing more to say because I am too steamed right now.

Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 05:48:38 PM »
well I havent got to read in a few days so I missed whatever it was that happened which sounds ilke I am glad I did... but cant miss a chance to thank jerry and sean for this forum and their hard work and dealing with whatever goes on behind the scenes!  Maybe these tiffs are meant to make all of us grateful and realise what we have here???

tinkster

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 06:32:24 PM »
I'm alittle confused about this one but if we are talking about the commentary post, my response was not meant to insult or PO anyone.
If I anyway appeared to be in part of 'mob mentality' I do apologize.

I appreciate both Jerry and Sean for this forum and each and every member here.

My way of growing waterlilies is not the only way ( I don't always have just one way even) and I thank each and every one of you for taking your time to share your experiences, suggestions, etc.   

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 06:56:44 PM »
I too appreciate what both Jerry and Sean does for  this forum .
 ThankYou! Jerry & Sean !

bonnie

Offline Cedric

• Members
  • With us since: 30/04/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 07:14:42 PM »
I have written five comments to this thread and ended up deleting each one because I am so PO'd at the mob mentality I saw with my own two eyes this morning. I have nothing good to say so I will say nothing more than to express how much I wish people would trust Jerry and I to deal with touchy situations rather than taking matters into their own hands by turning a topic into a flame war because they are not happy with someones comments.

I have nothing more to say because I am too steamed right now.

Sean

I would suggest a group hug right now, but of course we British don't do that  ;)

Cheers Cedric

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 07:16:37 PM »
Jerry & Sean:

Guilty as charged, I should have thought more about my posts even though I edited them quite a bit before posting.

I saw red at an erroneous slander at someone's work that does not participate in our forum.  Unfortunately, Cedric's issues seemed identical to someone who was here before and who also slandered my name in feedback.  I should of just used Jerry's advice of let it go.  

So I will go on record and apologize for my poor judgement.

Gary

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"