Author Topic: UM, unladylike topic maybe.  (Read 2294 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
UM, unladylike topic maybe.
« on: August 06, 2008, 05:24:55 PM »
OK, for those of you considering using Great Stuff or the black expandable foam. Whatever you do wear long pants, gloves and a long sleeved shirt, ones you don't care if they are ruined, especially if you are using the black. I decided to try to clog the leak in the waterfall by practically coating the whole thing (exagerating) with Great Stuff after using one can, $19.95, of the black stuff. So I put on an old pair of men's mesh gym shorts figuring I didn't care if they got ruined. I didn't have any shoes on as usual. Climbed out onto the waterfall and began filling every nook and cranny in the rocks and slate I could find with the cream colored Great Stuff. It was swelling and growing everywhere. The next thing I knew the screw on spout thingy loosened and swung around hitting me right between the legs just below the bottom of the shorts, (shhh) and right where my fat legs touch. Because I was concerned with getting that job done, I didn't pay any attention to where the stuff hit my skin. It wasn't long before I realized my legs were stuck together. LOL. Gently pull them apart and begin to scrape it off.   :o ::) Fortunately that STUFF does come off skin whereas the black STUFF does not. It has to wear off eventually. Will attach a picture. Just a minute.

. {nono} So what did you think the picture was going to be?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 05:35:59 PM by Esther »

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
Re: UM, unladylike topic maybe.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 06:40:04 PM »
Oh, I was waiting for the picture of you covered in it.   {:-P;;

Bart

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 07:04:18 PM »
 lol   lol   lol   lol  Well, a pic of your legs stuck together silly!!!!!   But that's okay, I have one going in my head now anyway!!  Great story Esther!  ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 07:10:53 PM »
 ;D   ;D   ;D Too funny Esther!!!   :D Thanks I needed that.  I'm going to be attacking my waterfall with foam some time in the next couple of weeks.  I shall be careful!  :o emm

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 07:40:20 PM »
Did the foam solve the problem?

;D  Some of those disposible overalls would be nice in a case like this.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 08:27:54 PM »
 lol lol lol lol lol lol

The black stuff costs 20 bucks a can?  OUCH.  I have not seen it in black out here yet.  I find the cream colored stuff takes paint just fine and it it's under water such as in your waterfall it will soon be covered with algae.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 09:26:18 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Esther!  I sure was expecting a photo of the stuff on your legs!  You tease you!  ;D

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 10:05:36 PM »
Bwahahahaha!!!   lol

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 10:15:29 PM »
 lol  lol

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 06:24:45 AM »
The black Stuff came from the pond supply store. I don't think you usually can get it at the big box stores or hardwares.

If you get the Stuff on you, let it sit there and dry. It will peel off completely. But if you try to rub it off right away without using a paint remover, (whatever the can says to remove it) it leaves a very thin coat that just doesn't want to come off. I looked for the can to see what takes it off and it's too far to the bottom of our trash bucket to reach.

It cuts away and even pulls away from the stone where the excess is but I was afraid to pull much for fear of pulling it out of wherever the leak is. I'm going to pull away the Stuff that is up higher on the rocks and leave the rest to just gunk up with normal algae. If I would have followed through on what I intended to do, I would have put sand, pebbles and stones into the wet Stuff to try to make it look more natural. I forgot to get the sand and pebbles before I climbed out on the waterfall and didn't think of it until I was well into the project. Then I was too lazy to climb out and by that time what I had done would have been scabbed over already.

I won't know if it did the trick until later on today. I was having to top off my pond twice a day the leak was so bad. So I'd guess I was losing 5-6" a day. The float was shutting down the pump so I didn't worry about burning up my pump. If this doesn't do the trick then I'm in a bad way because all the rocks and slate is either cemented together or now Stuffed together. It will be a royal mess to redo. Probably wait until next spring if we have to redo it.

It isn't enough that the waterfall is giving us fits. The top of our septic tank is caving in. The installation guy was here and inspected it and said there's no fixing it so that means, "Hello, credit line. $4000 please." Fortunately we have a couple of choices for placement on the lot. We've already moved the drain field because a tree decided the tiles were a great place to get water and nourishment.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 06:38:09 AM »
I dare not comment. If i did I'd have to admonish myself for ungentlemanly conduct. lol lol lol
Suffice it to say I now have an indelible picture of you, Esther in my mind.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 08:03:31 AM »
Yes, I must admit I was also expecting the picture to be a bit different  lol  Bad luck about the septic system.  Hopefully you took care of the leak!

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 09:55:07 AM »
 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

OK , so I was thinking I would see a picture of you trying to get you're legs unstuck.

bonnie

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 11:12:51 AM »
OMG! LMAOF! Now the do yourself lady has told us how to make a chastity belt! lol

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 12:30:53 PM »
Hey, good thought Tracey. LOL. Maybe we should use that tactic before the teens go on their outings.  :hug:

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 10:04:43 PM »
OMG! LMAOF! Now the do yourself lady has told us how to make a chastity belt! lol

Oh you'e bad.  :D

Yup, I'll keep that technique in mind for my tween.  ;) :'(
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 05:58:26 AM »
Ahem, Esther.  Now be a nice girl and post the pic you intended to post.  LOL.  You sure know how to paint that picture of your legs 'stuffed' together in my head.  I hope your leak is fixed (no pun intended).  I'll need to show my DH your post because he LOVES Great Stuff.  He said he will use it again in the new waterfall.  It turned a darker yellow once the sun hit it and soon algae took over.

Kuan

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 06:09:23 AM »
As much as I hate to say this, all my Stuffing didn't make any difference. So next spring it's tear the stupid waterfall apart and probably have to waste all the rocks and slate because of all my STUFF. GRRR >:(-

Offline emm

• Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 07:54:00 AM »
Hi Esther,  I tore the quilt batting stuffing out of my waterfall because I was CERTAIN that was where the leak was.  It wasn't! 

I had planted mint near the edge of the waterfall and in between some of the rocks surrounding the pond near the waterfall and I thought that the roots had worked their way between the Great Stuff foam and the rock which was allowing water to slowly leak out.  I pulled all the mint and the leak got worse.  So I concluded that the roots had actually been partially blocking the water from escaping.  Wrong again!  What it turned out to be was that a join in the hose had pulled apart.  I think it had been gradually separated just a little bit by me pulling out the mint from time to time.  When I decided to tear all the mint out I think I jostled the connection just enough to make the leak really bad.  So I lifted off some of the bigger rocks and there found the partially separated connection.   Put them back together and no more leak.

Some time soon I'm going to add a bit more spray foam to the waterfall as I want to change the way it falls slightly and I'm probably still going to have to re-stuff all the quilt batting I had pulled out earlier. Oh well.

I hope your leaking problem turns out to be as simple as mine was in the end.  The septic bed problem is another thing altogether.  That is going to be very disruptive as well as expensive.

Good luck,
emm

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 09:00:22 AM »
Dh plugged the pipe running up to the Skippy back at it's lowest point by the pump and the only thing that happened was the water went down to the level of the spillway and sat there. So we know it's not the pipe or fittings or the Skippy. We have turned off the pump and the level in the pond stays the same. That leaves the waterfall. I just don't see where the water could be leaking when I have put so much STUFF everywhere. Maybe next time I'm in the pond, I'll shut off the pump and look at the waterfall from a different angle.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"