Author Topic: The raccoon is back! CAUGHT, scroll down  (Read 7226 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: The raccoon is back!
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2008, 06:15:09 PM »
We no longer have them around our house but I don't know why. The area about the distance of a couple of blocks has built up and maybe they don't like it that way.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2008, 07:59:23 PM »
I hope to have a photo of a raccoon inside it by tomorrow morning!
My money says you catch a possum first

My best bait was one slice of bread, half the slice smear with grape jelly, the other half with peanut butter,
then sprinkle some cat kibbles in the middle and fold it together down the middle making it into a peanut butter and grape jelly kat kibble sandwich.
Minus the cat kibbles, I would crawl in for that snack ;D

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2008, 09:10:42 PM »
If you catch some and want to relocate them, take them a looooong ways away.  It's amazing how far they will travel to return to their home turf.  When I lived in Marin and drove across the GG Bridge early in the morning I'd see them crossing the bridge to get back to SF.  I think they either went over there to eat or they were relocated and were returning.  I've heard you have to take them more than 20 miles and across a large body of water.  Who knows.  Once you've got them in the car though, drive a little farther than you intended. 

Offline donduck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2008, 05:30:33 AM »
Personally I keep a pellet gun handy for them little thieves! If I didn't live in a residential. it'd be something bigger. Which I did have to use fora rabid woodchuck last year. I do worry some about my loud little pain in the butt granddogs. They go in and out as they please through the dog door. And they bark their fool heads off at birds, squirrels, grasshoppers, just about anything that moves.  Luckily, I've only dealt with one of them doing a tango with a skunk once. Pheeeewww! By the way, tomato juice, baking soda and summer's eve douche did the trick! I am quite sure that an electric wire is the way to go, but because of the dogs, I can't do that. I've seen coons take on dogs twice as big as mine. They sure are toughies! I actually smacked one with a baseball bat in my mothers garage a few years ago. She did not like me or anyone else in that garage! One smack and she never came back. I think she was looking to set up a nest in there.
 I have trapped and relocated at least a dozen skunks from my house and neighbors, using a have-a-heart. Peanut butter on a slice of bread did the trick everytime. They work great! I have caught a couple coons too. Remember to be calm and use common sense when you retrieve the trap. Coons have very, very sharp claws, so don't hold it too close to your side when you pick it up. If it's a really ticked off female, open with caution, and stay to the side (I prefer with the company of a baseball bat)! With all the skunks I've caught I have never had one spray as it came out. They can't lift their tail inside the trap so you're safe there. Skunks and ratcoons have a totally different temperment though. The skunk will most likely calmly walk out the trap and sca-daddle on his/her way. The ratcoon will run out and turn around and look, maybe even hiss. If he/she does, just yell at it. I jsut play a recording of my mother in law's singing and they all run away!

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2008, 06:37:40 AM »
Funny Don, thanks for the advice.  The trap is in place. 
At this point in the morning it is still empty.
Maybe tomorrow?  He/she will be back I'm sure.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2008, 09:25:04 AM »
Donduck,
Fishock electric fences are made to keep dogs out of flower beds, you buy them at Petco, they won't hurt a dog other than a slight shock. They aren't as powerful as a livestock electric fence. Several dogs have gotten zapped by mine and other than surprise and a yip they were fine. They stayed away from the pond afterwards....
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2008, 05:10:05 PM »
Show up  i just dare you!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2008, 05:19:02 PM »
Here's hoping  O0 .

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2008, 05:50:40 PM »
 ;D

Offline Argos5

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2008, 09:28:52 PM »
Looks like it was inspired by Rube Goldberg.

Ventura County, California, Zone 8b

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2008, 10:50:09 PM »
Joyce clued me in on using the weight to hold it down.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2008, 05:49:45 AM »
Good grief Jerry--that oughta hold it in place!!!!!  lol   We've live trapped 13 coons out of the garage this spring/summer and the previous advice about nothing close to it is excellent cuz they will reach out and shred anything they can get their little hands on. I also had a bag of potting soil too close to the trap and one of them opened it nicely for me (only from the side  >:( ) They also usually leave a little urine and poo poo for you to clean up afterwards too.  Can't wait to see a pic of your little darling!   ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2008, 06:38:01 AM »
That's right Luann, they will do anything to tip the trap. It's like they all know that if you tip it, then tip it again so it is upsidedown, the trap very often opens up.
I have found my trap on its side or upsidedown most of the time, grass all ripped up and bait gone, some raccoon hair in the wire mesh...successful escape by rocking the trap 'til it tips, or pulling the grass hard enough to get it to tip. They are VERY smart! (8:-)

Anything they can reach through and grab, they will move it off the top of the trap.
That is why 5 or 10 gallon pails filled with water and/or rocks are good...cuz they can't get a grip on them.
Never used a dumb bell before, but from what I have observed in my own yard, that dumb bell will be moved, and on the ground in the morning, if a raccoon gets trapped in there.
Cuz once they are trapped, they panic, and become superstrong with adrenaline and fear...and rage. :o

On the 3rd morning in a row of trapping raccoons successfully, I was grabbing the phone calling my pond forum friend who lives pretty close, to tell him I had yet another raccoon and needed his assistance again.
I walked over to look out the kitchen window to check on the raccoon in the trap, when I noticed something(s) moving outside the trap. I stepped on a squeaky floorboard. Whatever it was, scurried away and I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. So I walked around the kitchen island to get the phone again, starting dialing the number, looked back out the window...and saw something(s) moving again...so I tiptoed to the window, avoiding the squeaky old farmhouse floorboards....and finally saw exactly what it was!
It was 3 baby raccoons...and the mom was laying sideways on the bottom of the trap...pressing her belly against the trap side, nursing her little babies through the sides of the trap.
My heart nearly broke, all motherly instincts came rushing,  o(:-) and I whispered into the phone (I had inadvertantly called my mother) what was going on.
My mom asked what was I going to do?
I did what any decent mom would do, I went out there, the babies ran into the shrubbery, and I had words with momma raccoon. I told her the deal.
It was, when I let her out, she must go very far away with her babies and never come back, even suggested to her a few places to go visit.  :teehee:
Weird part was, when I was talking to her, instead of her usual snarling, throwing herself against the cage at me and biting the cage, she rolled over onto her back and exposed her belly, and her nursing breasts to me. I don't know if it was the tone of my voice, or what, but she was using body language saying: "here is my belly, my softest most vulnerable spot, I will do whatever you say, just let me back to my babies."
I told her that I hoped she understood that she can never come back to my house...or they all would be relocated one by one. Deal or no deal.
I turned the trap so it was aimed at the shrubs where the babies ran into, and she still was being submissive. (usually any movement of the trap makes 'em go ferocious)
All I had for a weapon was a cane of bamboo, thin enough to go through the mesh of the trap, used for prodding opossums out because they often wont leave a trap when you open them.
I slowly opened the trap. She saw that it was open, looked back at me for a split second...and shot out of the trap like she was on fire. She ran right into the shrubs, and I heard them all scurrying deeper into the tall evergreens behind the shrubs.
I never saw them again.
Deal!    8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2008, 06:59:13 AM »
Joyce,
What a wonderful story. o(:-)

Jerry,
I'm waiting for the pics.
Good luck!

Steve
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 07:08:14 AM by EagleEye »
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2008, 07:20:36 AM »
Thanks...I am glad you think so.  8) O0 o(:-)
I hold back on stories like this cuz so many people would say I was wrong, a whacko, would put me down for doing what I did.
Or would tell me sick stories on how I should have killed them all and how they have killed wild animals before.  >:(
Happened so many times before...and I know everyone is different. . .
BUT... some people just creep me out on how they wanna kill just about any animal that shows up at their ponds. ::) :no: :thumbdown:

I am so glad Jerry is handling it this way.  :hug: o(:-) O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2008, 07:49:16 AM »
I agree with Steve, a wonderful story.  The sight of the babies makes for an impossible situation.
What else could you do?
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2008, 08:00:05 AM »
Exactly Jerry, what I would hope most people would say.
Thank You.  :hug:
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2008, 08:05:03 AM »
I have a wonderfil neighbor, it seems his Mom is feeding them. :'(
This may be an impossible situation.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2008, 08:20:46 AM »
THANK YOU for sharing that story Joyce!  I have been thought by more than one person that I am quite "simple" when it comes to animals.  They DO understand!  I caught Momma and babies up on my cat food shelves in the garage.  They are not afraid of me--when I put the rake up there to shoo them down she sat there: did not growl or hiss and more or less let comb her hair with the rake  lol   Animals understand much more than we give them credit for.   Your Momma was doing what she was born to do, taking care of her babies. 

Jerry, no situation is impossible.  It just takes extreme patience in trying to find a way to live with them and teach them not to be destructive.  I live on a farm where the supply of racoons is endless (along with many other animals) and they have never touched my pond.  That doesn't mean that they won't I suppose, but probably their main reason is a food source and if you supply it, they won't have to resort to tipping over pots.

Even though I don't "see" the animals around in my yard, I know they are there.  They leave telltale signs that I can see.  I like the feeling that they are there and we are inhabiting the same space peacefully.   o(:-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2008, 10:57:09 AM »
Joyce, that is a great story.  O0
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2008, 10:59:28 AM »
Thanks LeeAnne and Kittyzee!  :)

Jerry, if his mom is feeding them, they should be staying over there and not coming to your house.
They would rather NOT work for their food. If someone is handing it out in bowls, then that is where they will be.
I betcha your neighbor skipped feeding them for a few days, and you suffered for it.  :o
You need to tell her to be consistent...feed them EVERY day.  ;)

A small spray bottle filled with Squirrel Repellent - Raccoon Repellent Spray, sprayed very sparingly,
just one tiny mist at the base of the pot where the pot meets the pavement may be the trick.
(if the trap doesn't work)

http://www.bio-defend.com/productdetail.aspx?id=BD1017

We've been using this on our dumpsters at work, and a little goes a LONG way. And it works!  O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
Oh Joyce, what a sweet story.

Can you have your neighbor explain the dangers of feeding raccoons to his Mother? Maybe she can stick to birds? (just not herons please!)

Plus if she's leaving food out, who knows what she'll draw in. Rats, etc.

We have coyotes around here too. Friend lost a dog to a pack. One will lure the dog out, the others surround and then they attack. DNR tells me they can easily jump an 8 foot fence. hey, maybe one of them can take care of the raccoons for you! ;D
Kathy

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2008, 12:02:51 PM »
Sure I can tell her, but it is a sticky wicket.  They have 3 cats and a small dog.
She is very old, id hate to hurt the good relationship we have.  They are fine people :'(
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2008, 02:58:25 PM »
I watched 2 coyotes try and lure our smallish dog away from our yard one morning.  One led him out (he thought he was protecting his turf) while the other one sneaked up from behind.  After I made my (not so quiet) appearance known they lit out and left the dog alone.  I am in awe of their ingenuity and cunning.  They also woke me up around 3 am a couple of nights ago with their yipping and howling in the yard.  That is something that you'll NEVER forget if you've ever heard it.  I know that they know my comings and goings and when it's safe for them to enter my space.  I enter theirs on my forays into the woods and pastures, and they never bother me.  I see their signs and know they are there watching me.  :) 
LuAnn

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2008, 05:59:56 PM »
As a kid in PA Coyotes were strictly associated with the west.  Did their habitat change in the last 50 years?
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2008, 06:14:51 PM »
Yes, all of mainland NY has them, CT and most of the NE states.
They have migrated.  :o
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2008, 07:37:11 PM »
Yes, lack of predation (wolves) and ease of eating around man has allowed the coyote to spread pretty much nation wide.

interesting reading here:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/08/0806_020806_coyote.html
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2008, 05:09:35 AM »
Jerry, Maybe you can bring up in conversation how SOME animal came in the night and killed fish in your pond, how you can't quite figure it out and don't know how to stop it. Maybe she'll figure it out and stop feeding them on her own? Does she feed birds? Maybe give her a bird feeder "oh I saw this and just knew you would like it!"
Kathy

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2008, 05:16:34 AM »
My guess is that the neighbor feeding the coons has nothing to do with your visitor. They will come anywhere that food is known to be if they are hungry. I assume they have a wonderful sense of smell as do most garbage eating animals.

I am surprised we haven't had them around out house since we put in the pond 6-7 years ago. Before that, it wasn't strange at all to see raccoon droppings close around the house. The only thing I can figure is that we have had a lot of housing developments build up around us and maybe they don't have to go so far to find what they want.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2008, 08:21:35 AM »
In my front yard I have four smallish liner ponds. Three are deeper than the first one we built. They get all the way in the first one and ripped the waterlilies planted in dirt over the liner to shreds and also punctured the liner. They are in this pond at least once a week or more. It is muddy as they pushed all the gravel on top of the dirt down into the dirt so we know when they've been in there. I've seen the raccoon reaching into one pond but all the way in this one.

The second one we built has dwarf sagiteria (sp) planted in it as well as waterlilies and it is also full of string algae. They almost never touch it. They tore up a couple of pads early this spring but other than that they don't bother it. When you look at it you can't tell how deep it is and it is thick with vegetation. I am sure they don't climb all the way in this one.

The third one hasn't got dirt on the bottom yet and is much deeper than the first one and they just reach in to it and have dumped pots I had raised up on top of upside down gallon pots over and over but I am sure they don't get all the way in it either as the damage isn't bad.

The fourth pond has nothing in it and it biggest and deepest and they just reach around the edges and look for food in the rocks. It would be muddy if they got in as they would track the mud from the first pond.

I found cherry pits in my nearby stone birdbath too and we don't have a cherry tree.

It is odd that they are obsessed with the first pond, just won't leave it alone but the others just don't get much attention.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"