Author Topic: Packing for Alaska...  (Read 3474 times)

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
Packing for Alaska...
« on: August 09, 2008, 04:03:51 PM »
After several weeks at or near 100 in Dallas and spending a week in Houston when it was over 100 degrees, these temps are welcomed! My dad says he's been burning wood in the fireplace all summer.  :o

Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
Re: Packing for Alaska...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 05:11:36 PM »
I will be quite a change for you. Hope you have a good time in Alaska.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 05:28:48 PM »
Looks like you'll be cooling off. When we were in Denali the third week of July 2003, we woke up to 3" of snow in the morning. It was beautiful and sunny so the snow melted quickly. That day we went into the park and the top of McKinley was visible which isn't very common. We left for Anchorage the next day, the other side of the mountain and again saw the snowy top of McKinley. But the rest of the time, it was beautiful weather and warm.

Hope you guys have a good safe trip. I'm sure everyone will enjoy it immensely.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 07:02:35 PM »
I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. Don't forget that camera!

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 07:31:59 PM »
Thanks, ladies! We're all pretty excited. Esther, I sure hope we get lucky and see Denali. The one week we were in Seattle (july 2005), we saw Rainier every day. We were very lucky to have a week of perfect weather!

Did I tell you guys I had a dream this week that I forgot that hot new camera and my cooler (to bring back salmon)? In the dream I was like "but I bought it for THIS trip!" Let's hope I don't forget it! ;)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 07:34:40 PM by jclements »
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 02:25:59 PM »
Hee hee.  I remember my trip to Alaska.  Packing my bags in my poorly-air conditioned apartment in Houston, in addition to a pair of jeans, I put in T-shirts and shorts, and, "What the heck, you never know," I said to myself, so I tossed in a swim suit, too.

This was early September.  The plane landed in Anchorage, and it was snowing.  Pretty much, too.  Cars flipped over alongside the highways.  Needless to say, I spent my first day in the local Good Will, buying a coat, mittens, boots, scarves, etc. I was camping in my rental van, and it was darned hard to keep warm using a Coleman lantern.

My other mistake was going after Labor Day.  Everything was closed - no gold mine tours, campgrounds closed, none of the outdoor activities I had researched and planned on, and Denali National Park was all shut down except for one main road through the flat part - no exploring the mountains.  All the radio stations were talking about laying in supplies for the winter, and how to avoid cabin fever.

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 08:26:23 AM »
Well, we're here (with both cameras, too ;)). It was only about 60 degrees when we landed...the kids were begging for their jackets.

We flew NWA from DFW to Detroit (2.5 hrs) and then on to ANC (7 hrs). The scenery when landing was stunning! Alaska air cancelled a lot of flights to/from anchorage yesterday due to some volcano in the islands...yikes!

We'll head out for breakfast in a bit and then start exploring!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 10:35:38 AM »
DETROIT!!! Am I confused or is that out of the way?? You must have flown close to Grand Rapids maybe. Did you wave when you went over?

Have fun!!

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 08:19:54 AM »
Esther, I guess Detroit and Minneapolis are the two hubs for NWA. We'll go through MN on the return.

We hiked to Thunderbird Falls yesterday and drove to Talkeetna for stunning views of Denali (McKinley). Today, we charter our flight to Beluga where we will river fish the rest of the week.
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 08:31:25 AM »
It sounds like you are having a wonderful trip.  Your boys will have a so much fun.  Will you be staying in a cabin, camper, tent???? 
We have been on a cruise through the inside passage but I definitely want to go to Denali.
Have a great time!

Karen

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 09:03:40 AM »
My dad is lodging in an A-frame cabin that looks out onto the cook inlet...it's pretty fancy for where it is (middle of no where) because it has a hot water heater!

Julles, how long did you camp? Were you thrilled to get home?

Karen, I've heard the inner passage cruises are amazing!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 10:26:30 AM »
What in your opinion is the best time to go visit Alaska to explore the wilderness and hike the mountians?  Someone once told me that the mosquitos were "super aggressive and huge" i.e. they chased their target (although they kind of do that here in Fl too, but they are not huge).  Are you seeing any up there now?
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 08:28:12 PM »
We left Michigan and drove across the upper US, up through Canada, and must have entered Alaska around the end of the first week in July. The weather was wonderful, just warm enough that we didn't wear sweats but cool enough to be comfortable. It was July 23rd I think when it snowed in Denali but like I said, it melted off right away and was a beautiful day after that. We went into the park that day and took sweat shirts but I don't think we wore them much. July is the best month to go to Alaska. We were prepared with layers of clothes and bedding. The night it snowed, we slept in our clothes, jeans and sweats, used all our blankets, used our towels and the front curtain off the van over us to try to keep warm. LOL. There was no electricity in Denali Natl Park so we couldn't have run a heater or electric blanket even if we'd have had one. We were camped in a van.

The only problem and it didn't bother us, was that there was a lot of road repair going on just like in most states that have freezing temps. There was one time that they were fixing a bridge and traffic was backed up for a long ways. People were sitting/laying in the road, talking to each other, and eating lunch sitting on the bumpers of their cars. We waited maybe an hour there for them to get the bridge so we could cross. They will stop cars for a long time and then you are told to follow a leader car across the repair area. Often it is a long repair area. Then they bring the waiting bunch back across where you just came from. We had never seen that done in Michigan.

As for mosquitos, we had no problem with bugs in Alaska. We camped the whole trip so if they had been around, we'd have known it. One time on the way home in Canada, there was a campground with a lot of mosquitos but that was all.

Offline Julles

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 10:36:32 AM »
My trip was a week long, sleeping in the back of the minivan.  I was tougher then, and could handle the cold a bit better.  These days, cold is one of my worst aversions.

Even though the weather dampened many of my plans, I found Alaska to be, the one word that truely describes it is "grand."  The mountains, sweeping land areas, arora borealis (sp), and the sky.  All just grand.

And the people!  The FRIENDLIEST people I've ever met, and that's coming from someone who lives in the South, and in Texas.  I also got the feeling that they all had known the feeling of hardship during their lives.  The gold mine I planned to visit was closed, and so was its campground.  But the man said, "The buildings are locked, but you can walk around the outside of all of them and look in.  And just pull your van up here and camp for the night."

Since the campgrounds were closed, there was no place to shower.  So one day I walked in to a business - a real estate office - and asked if they knew where I could go for a shower.  A lady working there, she reached into her pocket and pulled out her keys, handed them to me, told me how to get to her house, and said, "Just let yourself in and take a shower, and then bring the keys back."   !!

But they are kinda detached from the world, too.  I was there the night they were going to reveal "Who shot J.R." on Dallas.  I didn't want to miss it!  I walked into a bar / restaurant where TV sets were playing over the bar.  I asked if they were going to watch Dallas.  The men looked at me and said, "Who are they playing tonight?"  They never heard of J.R. and thought I was talking about football!

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 01:49:47 PM »
I think June-August are the best times to visit. There are mosquitos everywhere, but I haven't received a single bite (knock on wood). If you can stay in the sun and wind, they're not too bad. If you're here earlier in the summer, it stays light longer, so you have more daylight time to do stuff. We drove to a very touristy place called Talkeetna the other day and the locals were mixed, some super friendly, others outright mean to tourists. That's fair game for any tourist place though.

My internet connection here isn't so great, so I can't upload photos yet. Edit: Here's one. This took like 10 minutes to upload! This is from Flat-top mountain, and the view behind us is Anchorage. I'll post a couple more as they upload.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 02:25:29 PM by jclements »
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 05:13:01 PM »
Nice family pic  :)
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 06:06:10 PM »
Sweet family.  Love all that open space behind you.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 05:28:03 AM »
Looks like you guys are having fun. Mercy the little boys are growing up!! I bet Grandpa is having a ball with the boys.

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 08:28:40 AM »
Sounds and looks like you are having a fabulous trip!!!! Can't wait to see all the pictures!
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 05:21:19 PM »
We're back....

Had a fabulous time, but having trouble getting back on central standard time! And also re-adjusting to the heat. I have hundreds of photos and will have to resize and figure out a way to post them. I'll probably just put up a link to a photo album online.
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 05:29:28 PM »
Will be waiting.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 06:46:59 PM »
Great picture, Jessica! I'll bet you and your family had a blast. Glad you are safe back at home, and I hope your traveling went smoothly.
Can't wait to see more pics. My Mom went to Alaska last summer and she loved it, but didn't want to be bothered with picture taking. I look forward to seeing yours.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 07:56:18 PM »
Nice pix of your family!!!  Glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip.  My boss went to visit her son and grandson back in early July in North Pole, Alaska and she had a great time too!!  Can't complain about the weather here in KS because it has been in the high 70s and low 80s lately.

Kuan

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 05:40:58 PM »
I uploaded a couple photos to my facebook account. You can view them here:  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2594386&l=47f68&id=2062560  They're kind of out of order and not complete. The tall young guy is my younger brother, Robbie. He flew from Jax to go with us.
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2008, 09:25:35 AM »
Great pictures Jessica!  I bet those boys had a wonderful time fishing.  Those salmon have got to be the ugliest fish ever!  But I bet they tasted good.

Karen

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2008, 05:37:47 PM »
Wow, great pics Jessica!!!  Ahhh, to wear a jacket again  :-\  I'm tired of being hot! 

Wonderful pics of a beautiful, little red fox--I'm jealous!  Haven't seen any fox around here for a while, probably cuz there's so many coyotes!   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2008, 06:10:42 PM »
Thank you for the photo comments. Yep, jackets were needed. I sometimes had 2 or 3 of them on at a time! The fox was great, he followed us around quite a bit. I think the most shocking was the bear!! Glad you can all see my album on facebook. Saves time uploading to another photo site for sharing.
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2008, 06:34:21 PM »
A couple? ;)

What a great trip with fabulous memories for all of you!!!!
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"