Author Topic: What don't lilies like about moving water?  (Read 781 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What don't lilies like about moving water?
« on: August 11, 2008, 02:04:05 PM »
I know that lilies don't like being near moving water, and, I think it was Kat, who said recently something bad for the pads about being splashed by water.

Can someone explain what it is about moving or splashing water that is bad for lilies?  How much movement is too much?

Thanks.

Julles

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What don't lilies like about moving water?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 02:28:49 PM »
Julles, I had the same question. When I heard that, I rigged up the pipe insulation strung on a rope and layed it at the base of the falls to contain some of the splash and rough water surface. That was more the reason that the surface was so ripply I couldn't see into the water.

Here is a picture from a couple of years ago where you can see the splash at the base of the waterfall and how it restrains the ripples.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 02:31:58 PM by Esther »

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 03:14:04 PM »
Splashing is more of the problem. Constant splashing on the pads can cause pads to deteriorate quicker and leave the whole plant more susceptible to disease and pests. I really don't buy into the theory that any movement or current is a problem for lilies. Reason being is that over the years I've been growing lilies, my plants have been subjected to plenty of water movement and I haven't really seen any adverse effects. Shoot, my Madame Wilfron Gonnere sits right in the path of a foaming fountain head and catches quite a bit of current. The plant has bloomed very well as usual and the pads do not deteriorate any quicker than plants that are not in the stronger current. The majority of my lilies are in calm water but the ones that have been subjected to moving water seem to do fine.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 03:32:48 PM »
i read that lily pads breath on the top and the water on them drowns them and thats why they deteriorate....ripply water maybe same it may go over the pad too much.... :)  lorraine  and esther thats beautiful......... o(:-)
lorraine

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"