Author Topic: new ponder  (Read 1870 times)

Offline RWinn

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
new ponder
« on: August 12, 2008, 08:16:11 PM »
I  just started my first pond about 2 months ago. I am not sure of what kind of plants and stuff to put in it.If anyone could help I would apreciate it. my pond is about 1800 gal and in the sun all day

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: new ponder
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 08:25:11 PM »
Where are you located? This may help others to know what plants to suggest.
Welcome!!!!! You will find some great help here. And be prepared because ponding will become an obsession. :)
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 09:03:35 PM »
Yes, welcome!

You will want both underwater and floating plants, plus some marginals or bog plants.  Oh, and after searching the threads here, and looking at all the photos, you will surely want some lilies!

Some underwater plants are hornwort, and anachras.  Floating plants include water hyacinth (which blooms, in purple), duckweed.  None of these need to be in soil or gravel.

There are all sorts of marginals, like sweet flag, taro, parrot feather, money wort and penny wort, iris, sedge, oh heck - zillions.  These plants are meant to be planted in soil or gravel, either in pots placed where they will be wet but not under water, or planted along the edges of the pond, in a bog-like setting.

Lilies go in soil (clay) in pots and are set on the bottom of the pond, at heights particular to each variety of lily.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 04:44:24 AM »
Welcome. Did you take pictures of your new pond? We love pictures.

As for plants, it kinda depends on the look you want. It really doesn't matter what you plant, where because if your pond does what mine did, the plants go wherever they want to anyway. And eventually you'll have to pull them out and start over. That's the way mine is right now. I was given 6 types of plants. I put them in the pond on the plant ledge and put rocks on them to hold them down. They have crept all around the edges. Some have reseeded into the soil on the sides and some have sent out runners all over. I just rip the runners out by their roots. LOL.

You'll probably want a variety of spikey/leafy looks. If you google pond plants, you'll probably come up with pictures and descriptions so you can learn about them.

And if you're lucky and let it be known that you need some plants, you might find some in your mailbox some day from a forum member. We often exchange plants or send them out for postage. Look at our plant exchange subforum.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 04:59:13 AM »
 :welcome: I am new to ponding too.  I originally stocked my small pond/tub with plants that I bought online from online ponding retailers since I did not have any local nurseries near me that sold aquatic plants.  I later discovered this great site from a link mentioned by possibly another member answering questions on another site.  Since arriving here I have learned many a great thing about ponding and also discovered a  lot of members that offer their plants for sale , trade, or postage.  If you regularly stroll throught the plant exchange forum you can often pick up some great deals!  Or, if you don't want to wait and want some plants NOW go to my thread in the plant exchange forum called " general inquiry to lotus and water lily sellers".  There you will see the website links to some of the member sellers here who have websites for you to look at plants and buy if you so wish.  Hope you have fun, I sure did!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 05:03:22 AM by greenthumbnails »
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Julles

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 09:51:55 AM »
My pond tends to change every year.  At one time, I had a number of tall plants in it, and that was a mistake, because my pond is small and smack in the middle of my small yard.  The tall plants occluted the view from one end of the yard to the other, and made the whole area seem closed-in.  Now I only keep lower plants in the middle of the pond, or keep them trimmed when they get too tall.

The marginals and bog plants you put along the edges of your pond offer great variety.  Esther had a good point.  If you plan carefully, you can mix spiky tall plants to set off lower bushy plants.  You can also contrast leaf shape, as well as color.  There are yellow, blue, red, verigated, and all shades of green plants, and they can work effectively when you use one to show off the colors / leaf textures of another.

Offline lorraine1960

• Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 04:45:17 PM »
welcome to our obsession !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nice to have you here.....lorraine
lorraine

Offline RWinn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 07:08:22 PM »
thanks for the advice I have a couple lillies some hyacinth and some other thins but I dont remember what they are. If anyone has extras I would be willing to take them off of your hands

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 07:30:25 PM »
One thing to think about when placing your pond and landscaping around it is to think about what falls off that plant or tree, be it blossoms, leaves, or fruit. We have a maple tree a ways from our pond and up the road about 5 lots, there are a slew of oak trees. I swear, whenever the wind blows, it always blows the loose leaves into my pond. So if you accidently/intentionally plant a leaf, blossom, fruit dropping plant/tree near or overhanging your pond, you're just asking for a pain in the shoulder as you will be scooping and skimming to beat the band.

Oh and you have a good start on your pond. What is the size/depth etc?

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 08:59:58 PM »
You say you're a new ponder?!  That's a LOVELY pond!  Why, you have lilies and everything!  Nice job.

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 09:13:04 PM »
Nice waterfall.
Alfonso

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 05:04:20 AM »
Oh it looks really nice! Love the little maple!
Lots of plant sales/trades here. I have always gotten great plants from everyone on this board.
Kathy

Offline RWinn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 07:35:48 PM »
my pond is 9 foot by 13 foot and 3 foot deep with 1 shelf that is about 3 foot long and about 18 inches down. I have 2 gold fish 1 koi  2 black moors and some rosie reds

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 01:02:58 PM »
A big welcome to you ! For a first time pond you have done a wonderful job! Much better than my first attempt. Sure you will enjoy your self here . :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 07:49:39 PM »
Chiming in late.  Just want to welcome you to the forum.  We have a lot of nice people here so feel free to ask questions.  I have asked many dumb questions before and always get at least 1 answer.   O0

I am new to this forum and ponding too.  Welcome and hang around.

Kuan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"