Author Topic: What a day, can it get any worse? Got locked out of my house  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What a day, can it get any worse? Got locked out of my house
« on: August 13, 2008, 03:52:37 PM »
Today is my off day, and the telephone rang.  It was my Mother, so I decided to go out back on my deck and talk.  This way I could watch the hummingbirds.  Well after she was done talking, I was going to go in and take a shower.  Yup, I was still in my nitegown.  Guess what, the door was locked.

I went around to every window, all were locked.  I called my neighbor across the street, she was at her grand-mothers in the middle of doing her hair.  So, that's strike one.

I called another friend that lives close by.  I asked him to go up to the boys school and get Jacob's keys, because I knew Justin left his at home.  Yes, you guessed it.  Jacob didn't take his either.  They were depending on their sister to have hers.  So that's Strike two.

Here is strike three.  My friend then went over to her school, and was going to go ahead and sign her out, because I was going to have to go get her any way to get school shots.  They wouldn't let him have her, said he wasn't on the list.  But, he is on the list.  They just didn't look at it right.  However, they did let him have her keys.  I know she's really too young to have keys, but its just an emergency thing in case the boys bus is late and don't get home before she does.  They get home with in 10 mintues of each other.  I guess this would only be a 1/2 strike since he did get the keys.

Took her on up and got her shots, I knew good and well that the boys didn't have their keys.  I thought, hmmm there 15 years old time to teach them a lesson, let them sit outside for awhile.  I think the lesson back fired.  One of my boys took a plastic fork and tried to unlock the lock that way....duh what was he thinking.  Broke the prong off in the lock, didn't even tell us.  We finally melted it out of the lock..LOL, but it worked.  They still had to sit outside for about 30 minutes.

The weird thing is, we always have problems with the back door locking.  Normally takes holding up the knobb, and booting it with the booty to get it to latch, so we can get it locked.  I simply pulled it shut when I walked outside and it was locked.  When I unlocked it and went in the back door, and was making sure it locked.  It took 3 times, to get it locked.  I don't get it.

Anyway, I had 3 extra sets of keys made today.  I'm gonna find me some where to hide a set.  I've only locked myself out one other time.  But last week at work, I locked my keys in my truck.  I'll be glad when the bad luck streak is over...I made sure she had a front door set because of the back door giving us such fits.  Gotta get dh to do something about that door jam.  So aggervating.

Kim

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 06:04:35 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Re: What a day, can it get any worse?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 05:45:13 PM »
Oh I hate when that happens! It happened to me when there was a foot of snow outside. The crazy part was that it was my 2 yo son who locked me out. I kept yelling to him to turn the key the other way, but he was just laughing at me through the window. It's a good thing your kids are older.  ;D

I always think that we should hide a key somewhere outside, but where? Even if you find the perfect place that no robber could ever find, there is still that slim chance that someone will find it.

Glad you got back in.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What a day, can it get any worse? Got locked out of my house
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 05:52:18 PM »
I know it was a bad day for you, but, well - I sure had fun laughing while I read this.   ;D

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 06:03:43 PM »
Yes, I've laughed at it myself all day too.  Wouldn't have been so bad, if I wasn't in my PJ's... lol

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 06:42:11 PM »
I have done this twice.  I use to think "how do people lock themselves out of their house or car?"  Until last year it happened to me for the first time.  Locked myself out of my house and car and was stuck in the sweltering hot garage!  Called in to work that I would be late as I had to wait for my better half to leave work, after just getting there, and let me into the house.  Second time was just this last month.  Again locked out of house and car...and no spouse to the rescue.  I tried to break into my own home....only succeeded in denting the doorknob out of shape, and almost knocking off my thumb.  Called into work to say that I could not make it at all that day, and spent the rest of the day out in the sweltering heat and drinking water from the garden hose!

Made spare keys after that...not something I want to repeat. 
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 07:20:55 PM »
Oh Kim, how did you call the neighbors? I'd have been totally stuck, running around the neighborhood in my nightie. LOL But on the other hand, we never lock much of anything because there's 4 doors into my house and somebody is bound to leave one unlocked. 

We have an old ride mower that we let the tenants use at the rental duplex. Pete got it working again and I realized there was only one key to the ignition so I took it to a lock shop to get a couple made. While I was there a guy was picking up a key and the lady said, "That'll be $50 and you can have a second made for $l.75." But the guy just handed her a $50 and left. I said to the lady that I bet that they hear a lot of interesting stories. She said, "Yeah, like that guy. Lost the key and had to pay to have the lock taken apart and a new key made and then doesn't want to pay to have a second key made." I laughed and said, "And here I am with a junky old lawn mower, worrying that the one key would be lost."

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 09:02:41 PM »
I had been talking to my mom on the phone, sitting out on the swing.  So I still had the phone with me.

Kim

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 09:47:20 PM »
So I still had the phone with me.

Kim

Thank goodness!   8)

That was a funny story, Kim...even though it wasn't fun for you.  Tomorrow just has to be better, right!   O0
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 09:50:24 PM by Sandye »

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 04:07:55 AM »
At least you had the phone with you & was able to finally get some help.  Hope the rest of the week goes better.

I would go out back & my daughter would push the button on the knob to lock me out.  Needless to say she & I had some serious discussions about her touching that lock while I was outside   >:(- 
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 09:22:20 AM »
LOL! In the past I've gotten pretty good at breaking into my own house when I've locked myself out.
Had to when we lived in the mountains because there was no one else to bring you keys. ;D
I've also had one of those fake rocks for hiding a key in. But I also learned that you need to keep moving
the key around. You would be surprised at how people figure out where the outside key is. ::)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 10:17:18 AM »
Green Thumbnail - where do you live?  You don't have neighbors??

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 10:58:22 AM »
Green Thumbnail - where do you live?  You don't have neighbors??

They all work during the day....nobody home. 
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 01:09:06 PM »
Everyone knows what those fake rocks look like.  Burglars also slide their hands along the door frame and look under the mats and in everything near the door.  To hide your spare key, walk away from the door as far as possible.  Put it out in back in the woodpile or under the bag of old hangers in the garage, somewhere away from the door and hopefully somewhere that you won't be observed getting it.  Best would be in a coffee can full of old keys on the top shelf in the garage.  Up is always better than down low as well.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 03:22:47 PM »
Hey Kim, be glad the swing didn't collapse! @O@
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 04:08:30 PM »
Ha ha, Jerry. 

Tuesday I was sick.

I don't think work believed me, because it was the first day of school.  They asked me if I was going to go to the doctor.  I said no, nothing they can do.  Its just got to run its course.  She also said that she would call later on that afternoon and check on me.  Guess to find out if I was home or not.  I said, I'll be here.  I'm calling from my bed now.  They never did call.  Then I got to thinking, hmmm I'm still pretty new.  So, I called the doc and they worked me in.  Had dh to run the doc note up to work. 

Today my daughter was sick.  Missed 2 hours yesterday, for her shots.  Missed today cause she was sick, and today was only the 3rd day of school.    :D  Bet they think, um hum, a family that don't care.  But they remember my boys, so it will be alright.

I don't know if she had the virus or just a reaction to her shots he got.  I just know, she was pasty white and sick.  Grandma and Grandpa kept her for me today.  I gave her 1/2 a phenergan pill, to settle her belly down.  She went to sleep over there, woke up fine.  So, I don't know.  Just glad she feels better now.

Its been a long, week.  TGI's almost F.

Kim
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 04:09:56 PM by Ky Kim »

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 07:32:59 PM »
OH No Kim ! That sounds like one of my day's...... ;) Glad you finally got the key for the house.

bonnie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"