Author Topic: taco pizza, anyone??  (Read 1278 times)

Offline purplepshn2004

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
taco pizza, anyone??
« on: August 14, 2008, 07:33:59 PM »
Looking for a recipe for taco pizza to make at home.  I've searched recipes.com and cooks.com, but didn't really find any that sounded all that good - and lots of variations on wether to use pizza sauce, salsa, tomato sauce, or no sauce.  Anyone on here ever made it, and if so, how?

My two favorite foods are tacos and pizza, and I love the taco pizza at pizza hut and godfather's but usually get pepperoni or the works - would really like to try my own at home.

Thanks all!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: taco pizza, anyone??
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 05:25:49 AM »
To sauce or not would depend on how sloppy the taco meat mixture is. If you just fried up the meat and made the sauce separate, you could use the sauce on the pizza put the meat, cheese, and onions on and then bake the pizza and then put the tomatoes, lettuce etc on after it was ready to eat. That sounds good.

I wanted to make something up that was a little more low fat so used precooked chicken and barbecue sauce. I put barbecue sauce on and then lots of onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes and some low fat cheese. We liked it.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 12:44:40 PM »
I got a recipe from Pampered Chef that I use. For some reason I lost that particular cookbook during my move. :'(
The recipe isn't on their website either.

Their version calls for making a crust out of cornmeal and flour and you roll it out on a pizza stone. Bake for about 10 or 15 minutes. This part I can't remember
the recipe for and can't seem to successfully replicate it. ::)
Spread refried beans on the crust.
Brown ground beef and add a pkg. of taco seasoning and I add some black beans too.
Spread beef on the pizza and then add whatever else you like. I sprinkle some chopped onion, red bell pepper and chopped
black ollives on top. Spread grated cheddar on top and pop in the oven for about 20-30 minutes or until its hot and cheese melted.
We garnish with salsa or Pace red taco sauce.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 01:17:27 PM »
Don't see what that wouldn't work too. I'm not crazy about refried beans but lots of people like them and as long as it wasn't real thick, it would be good.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 06:40:22 PM »
Esther, for some reason, low fat and pizza is like jumbo shrimp. I've gotten down to eating the mini frozen pizzas at home, it's safer. With all this talk about pizza, that taco pizza is starting to sound rather good. 8-)~

Happy eating,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 11:54:43 PM »
Thanks all,

I have the stone from pampered chef (have had it for years, lost the directions for it, even tried lookin the recipe up on there but no luck.   

Well, searched all over the net again today and not a lot of help.  I decided to do it my way (since we had tacos last night and leftovers).   

I used a box mix for the crust, decided on pizza sauce, not to thick, not to thin, put on some mortzerella?? left over taco meat with more onions added and some more cheese.  Baked it on the stone for 25 minutes (lower shelf then the upper).  Let it cool a few minutes, cooled it and sliced it up.  Took it to the table, added shredded lettuce, tomatos, cheddar cheese and some taco sauce on top.   

Turned out pretty good (not pizza hut or godfathers, but pretty darn good).  I too like refried beans, but my fiance isnt crazy about them, so I opted for this version. 

I do love black olives but didn't have any and salsa is good too. 

The only taco sauce I seem to be able to get around here is pace or taco bell, not my favorite, but have to do.  Just like sour cream around here, only two brands. 

Thanks again all...

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 06:52:54 AM »
What makes pizza high fat? Cheese, bacon, sausage, pepperoni, some ham, or hamburger. OK use chicken or the low fat types of pepperoni, bacon and ham and low fat cheese or cut back on the fat items and add in more veggies and you 'll have a good substitute. Sure not exactly the same as the ones with the fat dripping off them but if you are really trying to cut back it can be done with a pretty good replacement recipe.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 09:13:41 PM »
Turned out pretty good (not pizza hut or godfathers, but pretty darn good). 

Oh my word!! I haven't heard Godfather's pizza mentioned in y ears. We don't have them around here anymore.
DH and I went to Aspen on our honeymoon years ago and when we arrived it was late at night and the only place we could find open to eat was this little bar/Godfather's pizza place. Wasn't exactly what we had in mind for dinner but it had to do.  ;D

I can't figure out what happened to the one Pampered Chef cookbook that had that taco pizza recipe in it. I had all my regular cookbooks together in one box and for some reason that one isn't there.  :(
I've tried to remember the crust recipe and have tried several times to make it but can't get it right. ::)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 09:20:08 PM »
Shanna,

We don't have a Godfather's in the town we live in either, but we do have one in Mobile and Gulf Shores, just a little far to drive for pizza.  Both of my DD's used to work at Godfather's back home.  I loved the pizza. 

Doesn't sound like such a bad supper to me for a honeymoon, as I would take pizza or taco's over any steak dinner, but that's just me...

It's weird how things disapear when you move, we have moved so many times over the past 6 years, I always seem to be missing something.  Hope your Pampered Chef Cookbook turns up somewhere.  I know I used to have one too, but can't seem to find mine either.  My older then mud Betty Crocker cookbook is still around though...

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 06:09:59 AM »
I had a collection of recipe cards in a special 3 ring binder that held clear plastic card holders. All the recipes I had collected over the years were in it. After my X left 26-27 years ago, it dissappeared. The joke was that his new wife was a rotten cook and I thought he took it. Turned out my oldest son, then 14 had been spending the night with a neighbor boy and they decided to make chocolate sauce. He came home in the night and took the cookbook over there and never brought it home. It was only a couple of years ago I was mentioning the dissappearing book and his wife told me he had taken it over there. I can't imagine the other family not realizing that collection would be special to somebody and trying to find out who it belonged to but no, they probably are still using it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"