Author Topic: Newbie needing input...photos enclosed  (Read 3435 times)

Offline pegs pond

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Newbie needing input...photos enclosed
« on: August 16, 2008, 07:42:14 PM »
HI l just joined and want to introduce myself.  I'm Peggy from Washington State.  We live in a town way out in the sticks in a valley between 4 big mountains...it's very pretty but shopping is a pain!  (go internet!  @O@)

I'm not only new to here I'm new to ponding!  In the process of building a 11X16 pond with 25 ft stream with 3 waterfalls.  Got EDPM liner, underlayment, Savio 22 inch bio falls/filter, savio skimmer, Beckett 5000gph submersible pump (yeah I know it's not the best but hope it will last a year) savio mid drain to attach to make a bottom drain (inside, I afraid to cut bottom of liner)..been reading everything I can find on the net about building ponds and hope my design works!  Here's photos of it so far.  PLEASE, please give advice if this desgin looks like it will work.  Top of waterfall is in shadows but will go just about where the shadow shows, near top of hill, turn and then down the hill, worried that the curve might be to sharp and water will gush up the sides? Second question where the heck does the one way flow thingy go?  big white pvc valve with flow arrows on it?  I got "kit" off ebay....Oh and pond will have goldies no koi.....   o(                       Thanks Peg

Photo from top, where waterfall weir will go

todays photos 8/16/08

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie needing input...photos enclosed
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 08:06:45 PM »
that is looking good  ;D
hope everyhing turns out good, anyhow i dont know lots about waterfall so i wont talk but it looks good and it has lots of space so loveley
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline crazyfishlady

• Members
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Graphic Design by Dianne
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 07:49:36 AM »
I have a couple of "learned from experience :D" thoughts for you. If you plan to plant anything in your streams, make sure the flat areas between your falls are deep enough to hold 3-4 inches of water.

If for any reason you have to turn off the pumps, due to a leak or a 3 day power outage (been there). Your plants won't die and it tends to look more natural.

Make your stream and falls at least 6 inches deeper than you think they should be. When that water starts rushing you'd be amazed how it can climb the rocks on the edge.

Your pumps should not be at the lowest pond depth. If for some reason the stream gets diverted you won't empty the whole pond.

Give careful consideration to the surrounding terrain and water run-off; you never want run-off water in your pond.

Just my thoughts. ;)

Dianne,
I'm really not crazy, I just talk to my fish.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://3dflags.com/art/comps/usane01/3dflags_usane01-0001a.gif[/img] Nebraska
www.diannesgraphicdesign.com

Offline laguna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 10:25:10 AM »
The curve will not be to sharp..just make sure your liner is about 2' over on each side of the stream so you can adjust the walls by adding dirt. Raise the areas if need be...Dont trim the liner on the curve just fold it under untill the stream and your pond settles just in case you need to build up an area....Better to have more than not enough..

Laguna

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 07:28:48 PM »
I think you are doing a great job!  Congratulations on what you have done this far.  Will you get it mostly done before winter?

I wouldn't worry about losing water in that sharp turn.  Use plenty of liner so you can make adjustments.  You should be able to place rocks in the stream to channel the water where you want it. 

The valve you are talking about sounds like a "check valve".  For example, if you were pumping water to a higher elevation the check valve would close once the pump is turned off preventing water from flowing back through the pipe and possibly draining the higher area.  Here's another example.  My pump is a below-grade (lower than the top of my pond) and thus my pump is always primed, however, if I had the pump above grade I would use a check valve to prevent water from draining back into the pond and thus losing my prime.  If you Google "pond check valve" you may find diagrams of how people use the valve.  I bought a check valve when building my pond and then decided I didn't need it....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline pegs pond

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 08:26:54 PM »
Thanks all, Mikey, the valve makes sense now and I am doing a waterfall filter so don't want nasty stuff draining back.....Laguna, note taken on not cutting liner and making sides high, had planned on makeing the "stream" about 6 inches deep but not sure if even with that it will hold much water as there is such a steep grade going down the hill..but guess we'll see when the water is tried....Geeze here comes more liner! LOL, how this thing "grows"...Crazyfishlady, I  will try to do a few "flat" areas as I really like the idea of some plants in there...Oh and Mikey it WILL be done before winter (or I shall use the hole to bury hubby!  ;) )Plumbing roughed out today and Waterfall vault finished....tomorrow on to burying the waterfall wier on the top...then on to working on the "stream" as have to wait for mid flow drain thingy to get here.   Ohhh also on the underliner can I cut it and fold it over itself to make it fit neater?  I know you can't do that with liner just have to fold that but man there is gonna be a lot of bulk under there.........ummm or is this the seamstress coming out?? LOL
Thanks again for the answers you rock!
Peg

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 08:42:09 AM »
Peggy,

The only advice I have at the moment is that if you intend on having koi, make your pond at least 4 feet deep.  Also, consider a "stream" to be a succession of "pools".  Go and look at a natural stream in your area and you will see what I mean.

Oh, and just for fun, visit my website http://www.gardenendeavors.com/  .  Been doing ponding for 35 years. Made all the mistakes possible.  Be sure to hit all the index items at http://www.gardenendeavors.com/rack/web2.html .

BTW, My son lives in Washougal, Wa.  Beautiful country!

You indicated you were new to Wa.  Where were you before?

Offline pegs pond

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 07:37:56 PM »
Thanks Fred, after talking with people on here I decided no koi just goldfish as the pond is only about 28 inches deep.  Ohh used your calculator and it's about 4100 gallons.  Yup went and looked at LOTS of waterfalls before I started this.  One thing about living here is there are lots to go see.

We lived in Sierra Vista, AZ before moving here.  (big difference!)  My family are here.  I lived in Vancouver when I was a kid so know Washougal.  It's a lot more mountainous up here.

I enjoyed your website.  Love the dogs!

Pond is working!  Hubby's working on the rock work and I will post the latest photo in a bit.  Thanks again.
Peg

Offline pegs pond

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 10:12:43 PM »
 @O@  It's almost done!  Still some rock work and landscaping but it's almost there!  Going to put some larger rocks in the sides of the stream when we can get someone to help hubby move them.  Plants doing well (should have first lily bloom tomorrow) and fish are coming tomorrow!  I can't belive it!
Peg

The Stream going down

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 06:02:04 AM »
wow only thing i can say awesome @O@
nice job O0
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 07:54:58 AM »
 O0 Looking good.

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 05:30:38 PM »
you and hubby have done a wonderful job...where in the world did u get all the rocks?? ....i love the whole thing it is going to be a place where you are at all of your spare time watching the fish..be sure and post more pics soon..lorraine
lorraine

Offline pegs pond

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 09:40:29 AM »
thanks all for your comments.  Lorraine, we have a creek at the back of our property and have "borrowed" the rocks from back there.  Shhhhhhh..... lol  Oh yes we have already spent hours out there watching the fish.
Peg

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 12:16:27 PM »
Peg,

That is just gorgeous!  You two have done a stupendous job and really deserve a cold one at the side of the pond.   I'll bet it sounds wonderful running over all those rocks. 

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 07:31:44 PM »
great job, I love the stream area, something we did not do with any of ours and DH now says he wishes we would have.  Give yourselves a good pat on the back and sit back and relax.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 06:30:21 AM »
Wow, what a really neat waterfall... oh, for a hill such as your  o(:-)

Myra
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 08:51:54 PM »
 @O@ Wow!!  Looking tremendously fabuloso!!  That's alot of rocks to stack!  MY back hurts for you!  :D

Love the Waterfall and stream.  O0

Offline pegs pond

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 12:26:38 PM »
It's DONE!  well for this year anyway!  Thanks for all the input and help from everyone on here.  Sorry the plants are hard to see but hopefully this won't be the case by next year.  Oh and it's much clearer now thanks to this forum and your help.
Peg

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 09:01:19 AM »
Very nice.  Now come do mine over  lol

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"